Picked up a used Jeff Cooper Steyr Scout in .308

This is a discussion on Picked up a used Jeff Cooper Steyr Scout in .308 within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Jeff Cooper on the Steyr Scout...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    TCH

Kea
    As above it was the only production model scout he endorsed.

Linky

http://home.netcom.com/~chingesh/SteyrScout.html
    Beach Forrest's & Bell Birds

For my Steyr Scout I have a Leupolt scout scope, and a Falcon Menace 10x42. Both in Leupold QWR rings. On the attatched photos there is a Falcon Menace 1.5-5 scope on it, but that has since been sold.
    I have shot the rifle at ranges out to 500m, but since it was not perfectly zeroed that was as far as I reached at that time. Ths scope I used was the 10x42.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

...I have pointed stick.

Gentlemen-
    Endorsements are a financial consideration. Which do you think- Tiger Woods feels Nike is the best or offered the best deal???

Steyr pressed hard for The colonel's kiss on the cheek, Jeff Cooper was largely confined to a wheelchair due to his declining health that lead to his selling off API to the Gunsite Group. I see a financial deal, especialy if you actually read his very words on what defines a scout rifle.

If you consult two sources with no endorsement deal, Guns Magazine in 2001 and Gun Tests in 2002, BOTH give the nod to the Savage Scout. At 1/3 the cost it is considered a much closer example of Ltc Cooper's concept.

If we are honoring Cooper's concept then the 5.56 and muzzlebrakes are not what he endorsed. The 5.56 version was somewhat mockingly referred to a 'cub' scout while the Colonel definiately spoke out against brakes. (while a suppressor ruins the balance and wieght of the Cooper Concept, it would go a long way to taming recoil on the 308 version. an 8 pound rifle has a wicked kick if shot too much in one session) A bipod isnt mentioned in the concept, Cooper was a sling man, not a bipod man.

I'm not knocking the purchase of a Steyr scout. Low sales make them rare and most likely will follow the Edsel route. Retail failure, vintage treasure.

The bottomline for me is the Scout answered a question few asked and the Steyr at a price few wished to pay. But find one in 308/375 for a decent price and sit on it, they are rather rare. Might be worth something in a few years.

TCH
    I suspect Tiger has very little or nothing to do with the product developement of the products he endorses. But I personally couldn't care less about Cooper and if he really liked the rifle or not. To me its perfect for small game hunting and short range (<300m) paper punching.

But anyway for those interested there is a Steyr Scout specific site:
    http://www.steyrscout.org/

Nice Suppressor Hessern. Who is the manufacturer and are you happy with it? Does the barrel come threaded on the tactical model or did you have to have it threaded? If so, by whom? I’ve been wanting to purchases a .308 suppressor but am having difficulty deciding which one to choose. I just ordered a AWC Life Support System for the AR 57 I’m building and hope that it lives up to my expectations.

I went to the little gun shop down the road from my home yesterday and took my Scout with me to see what they had in stock as far as optics go. Ken Hackathorn happened to be there and commented on the Scout as soon as he saw it. Apparently, he was very close to LTC Cooper. He said the Colonel would sit in front of the television at length while working the action to increase speed and muscle memory and even went on to demonstrate the proper technique to me. Nice fella.

TCH
    No, the barrell is not threaded on Tactical either. Don't know about Tactical Elite but I think not.

I've used BR and AU suppressors on some of my guns (AUG, G3, UZI). Could not be happier.

We are taking two scouts for AU suppressor installation this spring. I'll post more when done.

Links to the companies I mentioned:
    BR Reflex Suppressors
    AU Suppressors

AU suppressors are nowadays officially carried by Sako.

I have one in .223 and I can dot I's at 200 with it. Mine came with a heavier barrel. And the bipod sucks but is better than nothing. I usually shoot with bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Raule
    Yes the rifle can be fitted with a 'real' Bipod, my point is the stock bipod is about worthless. Many points on the neat-o meter but quickly loses its luster after some use.

Not to throw sand, but it is cursing with faint praise to call a 2,000+ rifle a 'good hunting rifle'. Rifles with 1/4 the price tag can claim that, to include steel ram accuracy.

The rifle isnt a true Cooper Concept. We must remember how times have changed since 'Prime Time Cooper' days. Many opine iron back-up sights are as obsolete as ramrods, but Cooper was from the day when anyone attempting the claim of marksman had to use irons effectively.

True Cooper rifles had the iron sights above and were clip slotted for quick reloads without the extra weight/cost/complexity of a detachable mag system. Hence Motion's confusion over what type of scope the Steyr uses. True Cooper designs use a forward mounted scope.

I have great respect for LTC Cooper. He had done more for realistic pistol marksmanship than the next dozen experts put together. However the scout rifle concept answers a question very few have asked. If sales are any indicator, a very few have considered the 2 grand price tag as the correct price for an answer.

The Cooper Scout was to be a knock about rifle carried by the western outdoorsman the same way we think cowboys always had a colt strapped on. If not in hand then in the back of his beloved jeep. That Steyr stock just doesnt cut it in constant carry use.

But I'm not flaming their ownership. They peg the looks cool and chicks dig-it meter. Poor retail sales almost guarantees higher collector value. The inclusion of a Steyr Scout in a gun safe might return a better yeild than 2K in a 401K. Shooting one in full benchrest mode at the local range will get a great deal of attention and have the range hotties hanging around...

but I think there are many other rifles that fill the Cooper Concept for far less money and tears if you drop it down a canyon side.

Not sure of the value of what you traded for the Scout and Kimber but thinking value-wise you got the better side of the deal.
    Raule, have you in fact even owned a Steyr Scout? I'm trying to work out the credibility of your comments.

You should note that the Steyr Scout does in fact posses irons.

I wanted a lightweight, durable and accurate utility rifle, in a country where semi auto's are banned it fits the bill very nicely. Sure you can purchase a cheaper rifle but keep in mind that cost and value are both relative and subjective terms. For what I paid and what it does I could not be happier with the rifle.

Rath

I purchased another Steyr Scout stock on GunBroker today. Got a black one this time. Will these stock fit on any other rifle? Perhaps even other Steyrs? Anyone need a Jeff Cooper in grey? I won't need two of them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ads