opinions on Remington 700 vtr .308 5r

This is a discussion on opinions on Remington 700 vtr .308 5r within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Yeah, they make regular VTRs with the 5r rifling now. I'm interested to see a review of one. I am an owner of an original ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yeah, they make regular VTRs with the 5r rifling now.

I'm interested to see a review of one.

I am an owner of an original VTR, and while I like it, and it shoots pretty darn accurately (.75 - .5 moa)... I don't think that I could recommend one, frankly because of the stories from other people... Accuracy is hit or miss with them, some shoot the lights out, and some are horribly inaccurate!

I really don't hear that happening with the 700P's or SPS's
    Previous owner of:
    R700 VTR .308
    B&C Medalist A-5 stock
    Harris 9-13 bipod
    wotac 4-14x50
    Burris XTR low rings
    Butler creek flip up caps w/ KillFLASH ARD
    EGW 20 MOA 1 piece base
    Tac-ops Bolt knob (by Monteboy84)

Quote Originally Posted by slowkota
    Interesting. I have yet to run across one.
    -Oddball Six

I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you through all of that muffling stupidity you are emitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball-Six
    Interesting. I have yet to run across one.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=166115785

They even come with a oversized bolt knob
    Previous owner of:
    R700 VTR .308
    B&C Medalist A-5 stock
    Harris 9-13 bipod
    wotac 4-14x50
    Burris XTR low rings
    Butler creek flip up caps w/ KillFLASH ARD
    EGW 20 MOA 1 piece base
    Tac-ops Bolt knob (by Monteboy84)

They even come with a oversized bolt knob
    Now THAT is interesting.............

Wish that would carry over into the rest of their normal models. Or better yet, if the studs just came from the factory threaded, and with whatever knob on it, so it would be easy for us to replace on our own if we wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by winxp_man
    i even read that the barrels on the vtr's are not as strong as the standard round barrel or fluted barrel.
    That makes sense, they have to machine off a lot of steel to get that shape. The triangular barrel may be stiffer than a round barrel of equal weight but probably not of equal size.

A barrel is a cantilevered beam and sags when supported from one end. The corners of the triangle may offer it an increase in rigidity when compared to the same amount of steel I guess is what I'm saying. It may not be so good for barrel harmonics though.

so do you guys think i would be better off with an sps?
    i guess what i'm trying to say is, would i be better off with the vtr with the 5r barrel or get an sps that has the 1:12 riffeling?
    i'm trying to stay in the $700 range.

you prolly allready saw this review but here it is again http://www.snipercentral.com/vtr.htm and from the guys ive heard talk about it say they are junk...Im not saying it but ive heard it said more than 1 time,,,

For $700 get the SPS Varmint in the caliber of your choice and put it into the stock of your choice. I suggest the Bell & Carlson light tactical as seen here: http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...mington/Detail or the Choate Tactical as seen here: http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_pa...8&NewProduct=0

If you aren't completely stuck on the Remington get a Howa 1500, it's a better rifle out of the box.

The 5R from Remington IMO is a bit of a marketing ploy, taken from their "Mil Spec" that doesn't have anything Mil Spec on it. I don't think they shoot any more accurately than their normal button rifled barrels.

I think there is more you can do with a regular sps as far as gunsmithing, such as threading the barrell or chopping down if you want, than there is with a VTR barrel, but I could be wrong. I don't see any advantage to the VTR even with 5R rifling than the standard Varmint SPS. I think you would be happier in both the short and long run with a regular Varmint SPS. You can always modify it later if you want when your pocket book is a little fuller.

If I were buying a factory off the shelf Remington, I would buy 700 5R Milspec, more for the stainless steel action and barrel than the 5R rifling, then I would buy the 700P, as I like the stock a little better than the "Milspec 5R". Next would be the XCR then the 700 tactical, followed by the 700 Varmint SPS.

You may be able to pick up a nice used rifle in your price range if you look around. I see great deals come through here on SC all the time. If you have the money, its hard times for some and their covetted rifle can end up in the forsale column. Pawn shops are another great place to look, if you know what you are looking for and take your time. Don't buy into some marketing ploy.

I would not buy a VTR unless I got a very good deal on one and planned pull it apart for the action. I think you would be hard pressed to give away the barrel or the stock on from the VTR. Obviously, your opinion may differ. It's your money and it will be your rifle,so your opinion is the one that counts. I think you should get whatever makes you happy.
    What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.
    - William Shakespeare

Do I think the 5R is overhyped? Yes.

5R has nothing to do with "milspec".

5R refers to a rifling profile from obermeyer which uses 5 lands and a specific kind of radiusing for the transitions that is suppsed to make the rifle easier to clear.

A "milspec 5R" is a specific reference to the original off-catalog runs of 700SS 5-Rs which originated as a way for Remington to sell slightly out of spec stainless 5R barrels or surplus barrels in a unit for the civilian market.

These days I agree there is little relationship between the "milspec" 5R and anything that is actually specified by the military (e.g. there is no longer a direct link to the overrun or spec process, its just a way for Remington to offer a form factor to cater to an audience they have developed over time).

In my experience 700SS 5-R rifles are actually built to a higher standard than most other factory 700s. Maybe they take a little more care when making the stainless action. Maybe there is a more hands on approach. Maybe they float them using virgins in Tibet.

I dont know.

But having owned one and having had exposure to 700 based rifles long before through today, I will say that my 700SS 5-R had one of the smoothest out of the box factory actions I have experienced from remington and was every bit as accurate as I had heard people say.
    -Oddball Six

I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you through all of that muffling stupidity you are emitting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ads