Long Action howa

This is a discussion on Long Action howa within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hi, Wasnt sure if I should put this in DIY, Calibers or Rifle, so I will put it in Rifle for now and the mods ...

Long Action howa

Hi,
    Wasnt sure if I should put this in DIY, Calibers or Rifle, so I will put it in Rifle for now and the mods can move it if needed.

My question is this:

I have been looking at making a rifle build for primarily target shooting (non competition/regulation) and secondary hunting rifle. My action of preference is the Howa 1500, the caliber being .270

The houge stocks are ok but I am looking at a better more customized stock for the Howa. Wilddog has them in short action but not long action for the Howa (have sent them an email already seeing if long action is available in Tactical stocks).

Are there any other good stocks for the Howa? I know Manners stocks are good but I am not a fan of the design.

Re: Long Action howa

Quote Originally Posted by Telgriff
    Hi,
    Wasnt sure if I should put this in DIY, Calibers or Rifle, so I will put it in Rifle for now and the mods can move it if needed.

My question is this:

I have been looking at making a rifle build for primarily target shooting (non competition/regulation) and secondary hunting rifle. My action of preference is the Howa 1500, the caliber being .270

The houge stocks are ok but I am looking at a better more customized stock for the Howa. Wilddog has them in short action but not long action for the Howa (have sent them an email already seeing if long action is available in Tactical stocks).

Are there any other good stocks for the Howa? I know Manners stocks are good but I am not a fan of the design.
    Have you looked at McMillan?

Looked at them a fair bit, but prices are expensive and a hassled to import from the States (I'm in Australia).

Would you be willing to compromise on the caliber to something in a short action? it'd make life alot easier if you are looking for an aftermarket stock for the howa.

Don't get me wrong i was spotting for a guy shooting a fully fledged custom howa build with a hart barrel and he was in about an inch and a half at 400! :shock:

Depends on the Caliber.
    I'd considered the 7mm08 as an option also, but there is more factory ammo for .270 in my area.

If you want I think wild dog actually build custom rifles so depending how much your looking to spend you could get them to build it, have you handled their stock before?

Had no idea that they can build custom gear.

Havent handled the stock, but have seen them on the range and like the look and styling of them (hence why I wanted adjustable stocks to fit me better)

Pete Lincoln at Roedale Precision is a Howa Guru as well. He's a Brit in Germany but he can build you one and he manufactures an AI type stock for it. Manners will make you a stock for the Howa as well. I'm unsurte about long action in either case but you can find out with a phone call or an email.

I'll track down Roedale Precision and see what the pricing is like. Thanks for the info.

Had a further look through the forums and it seems the only people who make stocks for the Howa action are McMillan, WildDog and Manners. Might have to reconsider the Manners stocks.

I wonder if Mel will build a howa setup in .270?

Ads