5-R rifling? Any opinions?

This is a discussion on 5-R rifling? Any opinions? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Does anyone have any expierience with 5-R rifling? I know Krieger is offering this in their standard calibers with "normal" twist rates. Just wondering if ...

5-R rifling? Any opinions?

Does anyone have any expierience with 5-R rifling? I know Krieger is offering this in their standard calibers with "normal" twist rates. Just wondering if it really cuts down on copper fouling, and if it adds anything to accuracy. Thanks.
    I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Yes and yes. 5-R rifling was developed by obermeyer originally and is licensed to a handful of barrel manufacturers. The 5R rifling uses a series of 5 lands in a twist pattern that applies a specific type of radiusing to the way that the lands are shaped.

The effect of the radiusing is that a barrel comes from the factory in roughly the same configuration as a "standard" barrel would arrive at after being "broken in" for 200 rounds.

One way I have seen the 5R rifling described is that someone figured out how to make a barrel that was "slightly worn" coming directly from the factory.

The effect of this is that it is easier to clean between the lands in the rifling and that less material stays resident in the bore.
    -Oddball Six

I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you through all of that muffling stupidity you are emitting.

MOA
    do to the shape it also tends to offer a velocity increase of a few fps. And when you step up to a good after market barrel like kreiger you will have a better barrel any ways. I don't beleive accuracy is really much better that a equal conventional land gun.

its better.
    #2 Infidel
    Jeff Dorr...Gone but not forgotten

Next builds:
    "Black and scary assault sniper rifle"
    "machine sniper pistols that spray bullets from clips"...Thanks CNN,NBC & CBS

I have a TC Arms Icon in 308 with 5r and it is extremely accurate. I think the 5r contributes a lot.
    MOLON LAVE

.308, .223, .40, 9mm, .38, .410, and 12 gauge

Mine puts 5 rounds in the .3's at 100 yards, and I was a lot worse shot at that time
    #2 Infidel

Next builds:

If your TC Icon or Rem 5R is shooting well, it is because you have a good rifle and barrel period, not because of the rifling style. Many things have been blown out of proportion about the 5R since it's wide spread introduction. Especially the Internet and gun magazines have portrayed it as the pinacle of barrel technology and any rifle without that rifling style is only second rate.

I have had some unique opportunities to cut, chamber and install a number of barrels from Boots, Rock, Krieger, Bartlien, Broughton and Pac-Nor. Based on my limited experience with the above barrels in conventional and 5R bore profiles, I would have to disagree with most of the above.

5R is one of those ideas that look extremely good on paper but with all other things being equal offer little if any practical advantages. Boots' barrels shot and continue to shoot extremely well because they are extremely consistent and well made, not because they have a 5R profile.

I have not seen any velocity increase by going to a 5R profile. Kriegers, Rocks and Obermeyers typically all shoot much faster than the average factory barrel.

Myself and 100s of others have shot our standard bore profile barrels upwards of 600 to 1000 rounds without cleaning. Note that even with that many rounds down the barrel, the rifles still shoot very, very small. Only cleaned them around that time just out of guilt. When cleaning is started, the entire process typically takes about 5 minutes and you're done. So. . . . . . I do not think that the standard land and groove bore pattern has any fouling or cleaning issues when the barrel is made properly.

Believe me, if 5R was the magic bullet, there would be no other barrels out there. The amount of money and time spent by shooters experimenting and testing for an edge is mind boggling.

Krieger recently started producing 5R with Boots blessing but I will continue to build most of my customer rifles with the standard bore profile.

Choose a good barrel maker with a known track record, have it properly installed with a properly spec'd chamber for what you intend to do and you will never know the difference.

Mike R and W Roscoe seem to build some pretty decent rifles with standard bore profiles.

No wind,
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Cross
    If your TC Icon or Rem 5R is shooting well, it is because you have a good rifle and barrel period, not because of the rifling style. Many things have been blown out of proportion about the 5R since it's wide spread introduction. Especially the Internet and gun magazines have portrayed it as the pinacle of barrel technology and any rifle without that rifling style is only second rate.

I have had some unique opportunities to cut, chamber and install a number of barrels from Boots, Rock, Krieger, Bartlien, Broughton and Pac-Nor. Based on my limited experience with the above barrels in conventional and 5R bore profiles, I would have to disagree with most of the above.

5R is one of those ideas that look extremely good on paper but with all other things being equal offer little if any practical advantages. Boots' barrels shot and continue to shoot extremely well because they are extremely consistent and well made, not because they have a 5R profile.

I have not seen any velocity increase by going to a 5R profile. Kriegers, Rocks and Obermeyers typically all shoot much faster than the average factory barrel.

Myself and 100s of others have shot our standard bore profile barrels upwards of 600 to 1000 rounds without cleaning. Note that even with that many rounds down the barrel, the rifles still shoot very, very small. Only cleaned them around that time just out of guilt. When cleaning is started, the entire process typically takes about 5 minutes and you're done. So. . . . . . I do not think that the standard land and groove bore pattern has any fouling or cleaning issues when the barrel is made properly.

Believe me, if 5R was the magic bullet, there would be no other barrels out there. The amount of money and time spent by shooters experimenting and testing for an edge is mind boggling.

Krieger recently started producing 5R with Boots blessing but I will continue to build most of my customer rifles with the standard bore profile.

Choose a good barrel maker with a known track record, have it properly installed with a properly spec'd chamber for what you intend to do and you will never know the difference.

Mike R and W Roscoe seem to build some pretty decent rifles with standard bore profiles.

No wind,
    Terry
    That's actually been very well said.

Now are we talking a custom barrel, or a out of the box rem 5R VS a 700p?
    Of the rack I would take the stainless 5R any day of the week, and twice on the weekend, but if we are talking custom barrels then look at what MR cross said ( by the way, I have actually no idea who he is, but I do know he makes a pod loc that I really want, but it seems that no one is willing to ship them to canada, so looks like I will never be able to be a customer, I hear great things though, about him, how he does business and his work) tacops, pretty much every smith who is worth his waight in gold has been making the best rifles money can buy with standard 6 groove barrels since day one...as a wise man once said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
    #2 Infidel

Next builds:

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Cross

No wind,
    Terry
    I agree 100%. One thing 5-R has done well is sell rifles. A lot of them. At an inflated price no less. If it was the concept everyone has been waiting for, you would see it on every bench rest barrel made. You don't.

5-R is in the same category as "barrel brake in's". Hype that has been passed along so much, it is now often regarded as fact. I don't think there is anything "wrong" with 5-R, or "barrel brake in's", just that benefits from either simply cannot be proven because the improvement simply isn't there, or can be traced to either. Bill T.
    I don't "need" my AR-15 Assault Rifle any more than Rosa Parks "needed" to sit in the front of the bus.

Ads