Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Remington 700P and 700P LTR

14K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  caver101 
#1 ·
Can anyone provide info on these rifles? Good or Bad. I am looking at purchasing a new rifle for Urban Sniper Police Team. Need INFO....

#2 ·
Read it here...

700P/LTR

The LTR is basically just a 700P with a shorter barrel. It has flutes and no palm swell also.

#3 ·
If you really, really...I mean no, really... are in a position to be outfitting a police sniper team, I would contact Mel directly and ask him what he thinks. Or one of the police snipers on this board. Or call the makers and tell them who you are, see what they have to say. Remington, Savage, Mel, Tac Ops, etc. They have package deals and such for you.

I wouldn't be too comfy about selecting sniper rifles for a Law Enforcement team if I didn't know the performance of the world standard in the field.

#6 ·
Well after a few months, OK 8 months, i am back. had to go and do my term to help out in the sandbox. I AM BACK. I know alot of you dont even remember me but thats ok i remember most of you. i have been lurking for a few days now trying to catch up on what i missed while i was gone but i couldnt stay quite anymore.

All i can say is glad to see Spade is just a controversial as ever. Still calling people out on what appears to be bullshit.

Next is you would think i would have extra money now and be able to purchase the SC3 that i wanted before i left but NOPE my wife took care of that for me. so i am either going to have to put it off longer or go with the 700 and just build it up slowly.

Anyway sorry for highjacking the thread i just love it when Spade does that.

#7 ·
LONG TRA'NG said:
Anyway sorry for highjacking the thread i just love it when Spade does that.
That's what he is here for. :wink:

#9 ·
all in all they are good rifles--they will most likely shoot sub MOA and maybe with a trigger job get down to a half inch even--there are several people on the forums with these rifles. I know thansen has one and it shoots really good(were talkin 1\2in 6 shot groups at 100 yards)--if your department is on a limited budget, i say go for em!

dom

#10 ·
The are (to quote the People's Moderator) THE standard.

Tactical shooting platforms everywhere are compared to the 700 as the base platform. It is proven to be reliable, shoot very well, and has about a gazzilion aftermarket parts available.

You may be interested in the SC2 series of rifles. It's a very nice setup that is GUARENTEED to shoot well. The SWS is a great bargain.

SC2

doc913 said:
I am familiar with the rifles but I want good/bad info anyone has...Dept is on limited budget and needs two rifles. Are these standard or better that standard?? Pro and Cons lets go...
...I'll be quite honest here...I don't like your tone. If you want people to help...demanding is not the best method.

#11 ·
LONG TRA'NG, Heck, we remember ya bud! And it is good to have you back, sir!

If this is true, you're talking about some serious stuff. We're not exactly deciding if we should have burgers or hot dogs for supper here, lives will in the hands of those rifles you buy, or more specifically in the hands of your sniper team.

I think you owe it to yourself and them to not appeal to the forumites for help.

As you may or may not know, there are a lot of snipers here, which could well be why you are asking. But it would be a lot more productive to call some of your colleagues and see what they use. Or call the manufacturers! Or read Mel's rifle reviews. Or tell us more about yourself and your suspect claims.

APK is right on a few points I think. "Gimme-gimme" never gets. You're new, terse, and unclear. Let's hear more about your situation. What do you need? where are you at? What is common there?

Also he is right about the Remington 700's. I've seen em shoot great and I've seen em look like a monkey put them together. Most companies are like that though. But, they ARE the standard and they ARE battle proven around the world. I find it very odd someone in your position does not know more about them.

If your budget is very limited though, the Remington 710 may fit the bill.

#13 ·
Thanks all for the info and I apologize for not answering any questions to me. I am a 8 year police officer in london, Ky. have been on Special Ops Team for 2 yrs. were are currently in the process of trying to add marksman/ observer to our team. I am trying to get as much info as I can so as to help the team get the best equipment and training.

#14 ·
LONG TRA'NG said:
What is ur occupation?
Why isnt there an anwer to this question yet.
Well according to the poster its for a
Urban Sniper Police Team
(as opposed to all those jungle and desert police teams out there) .....sorry don't mean to stir the pot but any LEO out there tries to stay away from the term sniper all together and is called a marksmen or sharpshooter as our the teams.

Just seemed a bit odd. I will say however when I was new to long range shooting and already on a team Mels site was a place to learn a lot of the basics with out looking dumb around my co-workers and it only helped me more after the forums were put up. We all got to start somewhere right.

It doesn't matter if he is hoping to get on a tac team and trying to build some knoledge to impress some people or a kid who thinks that proclaiming he is already there would give him more respect I really don't care and it truly doesn't matter.

Welcome to the forums and try to be polite while you are here.

G
#18 ·
doc,

You really need to get to the point. We know you want the scoop on the Remington 700, but what is your occupation ? Are you a person who is going to be a sharpshooter on a police team or are you a department bean counter ? Don't mean to sound rude here, but some things in your post don't jive right. If you are familiar with the 700 than why need ask ?

Don't mess with the people on this site, they are very knowledgeable and are more than willing to provide you with the info. We just want to know what your background is and what influence you have on what your department purchases.

Tom

#19 ·
I will bite...

The LTR has the shorter barrel.......cut it to 16" and attach a suppressor (JET comes to mind). For the short range of a LEO the 16" barrel will get the job done without all the noise of a std 308 rnd.

With that said: I think the perfect gun for LEO marksmen would be a 16" barreled 308 with a can on it. It gets the sound down so you do not need hearing protection and the can will increase accuracy of the rifle. I mean most shots are ~75yds (with the exception of the guy in NM, what was what ~225 yds??).

Do any of you see any pros/cons to that? (Other than the dept not spending the money on it)

#20 ·
caver101 said:
Do any of you see any pros/cons to that? (Other than the dept not spending the money on it)
Well I will put in my 2 cents here.

While I looked at shorter barrels for my rifle I think the shortest I would go is 20.......Why....guess that falls under the have it and never need it then need it and not have it rule. You can always count on Murphy to throw you a loop ever once in a while.

As far as the suppressor thats just another thing that can effect your shot. (depending on the brand) the bullet shift can be off and as the suppressor ages and has many round fired though it accuracy can get even worse. Not something you want to worry about in a Hostage Rescue situation.

Lets not forget LE agencies have ussually stayed away from suppressors for fear the LE would be viewed in a negative manner as (killers, assasins, ect) hence why they are called Sharpshooters and not Snipers. The extra money and the possibity of bad PR will keep Suppressors off of LEO rifles for a while.

#21 ·
FLEA said:
The extra money and the possibity of bad PR will keep Suppressors off of LEO rifles for a while.[/color]
Seems the county just north of you might disagree, as their SEB has a number of rifles equipped with them, or is that just for training but never in application (honestly don't know)?

Scatch Maroo

#22 ·
Scatch Maroo said:
FLEA said:
The extra money and the possibity of bad PR will keep Suppressors off of LEO rifles for a while.[/color]
Seems the county just north of you might disagree, as their SEB has a number of rifles equipped with them, or is that just for training but never in application (honestly don't know)?

Scatch Maroo
Honestly I don't know if they only use them in training or not either. Could be photo ops....personal weapons....ect.

Keep in mine that SEB is the Sheriffs department and does not have the community oversight that a city Police department would. Even the Sheriff's dept uses tactics that can not get approved by the cities with a police force.

Such policies and weapons.....equip...ect.... is easier to approved when it goes through a whole county as opposed to just one city.

#23 ·
While I looked at shorter barrels for my rifle I think the shortest I would go is 20.......Why....guess that falls under the have it and never need it then need it and not have it rule. You can always count on Murphy to throw you a loop ever once in a while.
With a 16" barrel and a 8" can (total of 24") you are looking at the ballistics of a ~20" barrel. The can will enhance the accuracy of the host weapon.

As far as the suppressor thats just another thing that can effect your shot. (depending on the brand) the bullet shift can be off and as the suppressor ages and has many round fired though it accuracy can get even worse. Not something you want to worry about in a Hostage Rescue situation.
Got any data to back that up?? I am curious as to how many rnds it takes to start affecting accuracy as this is the first time I have heard this. The can should last MUCH longer than the barrel on the rifle. AAC did some test on their can, I will see if I can find that article. The results were amazing to say the least. Lots of guys are using the JET in comps now and are shooting a lot more than your avg LE and getting amazing accuracy. For hostage situations I am sure you would put the best can you could on your rifle, just like your pistol you are not carring a cheap/unreliable one on your hip.

Lets not forget LE agencies have usually stayed away from suppressors for fear the LE would be viewed in a negative manner as (killers, assasins, ect) hence why they are called Sharpshooters and not Snipers. The extra money and the possibity of bad PR will keep Suppressors off of LEO rifles for a while.
I guess they have stayed away from them due to not being educated on what a suppressor is and how they work. I know that when I started my research into buying my first can I was amazed and learned a great deal about them. Lots of LEOs are using them on entry guns like the MP5. I see the money thing as the cans are not cheap, but SWAT teams ARE viewed as a little military unit (maybe I am mixing the SWAT and marksmen and should not be, forgive me as I am not LE).

I know most of the LEOs that I know (have lots of family in there and shoot with a bunch more) are totally unaware of cans and think they are some supper secret hollywood toy that mere mortals do not get to have.

I may be a LITTLE bias as I think a can should be as easy to buy as a scope or ammo (as they are in Europe). They are not the mystic creations that most folks think they are and are quite simple.

I am not trying to start anything, but do you have any data to back that up?

#24 ·
caver101 said:
Lots of LEOs are using them on entry guns like the MP5. I see the money thing as the cans are not cheap, but SWAT teams ARE viewed as a little military unit (maybe I am mixing the SWAT and marksmen and should not be, forgive me as I am not LE).
I am only theorizing, but in support of what FLEA stated re: sharpshooters and looking 'evil', I think that an entry team using silenced weapons looks less devious/murderous because they are going toe-to-toe with the BGs vs the shooter who's at a safe distance. We all agree it's ridiculous sheeple non-sense, but that might be the reasoning.

Or perhaps the PDs you're familiar with don't represent constituents that villainize firearms like those in FLEA's geographical territory do.

You raise good questions regarding the reliability and accuracy of suppressors: I remember the photos you posted of your own that increased accuracy dramatically!

Scatch Maroo

#25 ·
With a 16" barrel and a 8" can (total of 24") you are looking at the ballistics of a ~20" barrel. The can will enhance the accuracy of the host weapon.
I have only seem one suppressor maker (surefire) do any real work to add accuracy to a rifle. Most suppressors can not match a good muzzle crown.

The can should last MUCH longer than the barrel on the rifle. AAC did some test on their can, I will see if I can find that article. The results were amazing to say the least. Lots of guys are using the JET in comps now and are shooting a lot more than your avg LE and getting amazing accuracy. For hostage situations I am sure you would put the best can you could on your rifle, just like your pistol you are not carring a cheap/unreliable one on your hip.
If that's true that's great. I have not been around modern suppressors for a few years as we hated adjusting sights to compensate for the bullet shift.

Lots of LEO's are using them on entry guns like the MP5.
This is a easy sell because discharging a sub-machine gun indoors can very easily damage the officers ears. (hence some of my ear problems) A sharpshooter will usually have a light ear plugg on his shooting side and a comm in his non shooting ear so any damage is minimal.

I know most of the LEOs that I know (have lots of family in there and shoot with a bunch more) are totally unaware of cans and think they are some supper secret hollywood toy that mere mortals do not get to have.
Hence why there is such a negative view from the public of them.

I am not trying to start anything, but do you have any data to back that up?
No harm taken.....Its not like I have never been wrong before

#26 ·
After re-reading that it came across a little ruff, sorry.

You are correct about the shift with and without the can, BUT if the can is indexed to go on the rifle the same every time the POI shift is the same. I really see no need to take the can off but for cleaning.

Suppressors have really come a long way the past few years. I have some test targets with a "cheap" 223 can to show the accuracy gains. Once my 308 can is approved I will run the same test on it to. I have not heard of any precision rifle cans that degrade accuracy. You konw as well as I do a 308 w/a can is not hollywood quite anyway - to me it would sound better in a city setting than a full 308 blast.

After educating myself on cans I have a whole new appriciation for them.....to bad the sheeple do not......

You should check into them now - they got some good stuff!

(Your not worng, we are just looking from different sides :D )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.