30-06 Bull Barrel?

This is a discussion on 30-06 Bull Barrel? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hey everyone I have a savage 30-06 with a standard barrel and I would like to upgrade to a target grade bull barrel. Does anyone ...

30-06 Bull Barrel?

Hey everyone I have a savage 30-06 with a standard barrel and I would like to upgrade to a target grade bull barrel. Does anyone know of any companies that manufacture 30-06 bull barrels? If not what are some good options for a regular non-bull barrel that isn't going to break the bank. Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions.

Welcome to the site. There are many companies that make heavy barrels for your rifle. Mcgowen, Shilen, Pac Nor, or Savage, just to name a few. I would recommend visiting www.savageshooters.com they have a ton of knowledge on that site. Swapping barrels on Savages is addicting just to let you know.
    Savage 110E 7mm Rem Mag.

Savage 12FV .223 Rem

Sweet, thanks for the site. I have never visited that site so i will definitely check that out. I heard that you can do the caliber swaps with swapping out the barrels as long as you have room in the action for the new caliber. This may be a dumb question but with switching calibers could I take my action and slap a 223 barrel on it. I know that the action would be sloppy for the smaller cartridge compared to the 30-06; so, would that even be possible? Just thinking out loud, thanks for the help so far.

Savage

I'm a huge fan of Savages, as they're quite accurate, and swapping barrels, as has been said, can be easy and addicting. I will say that if you find a 'sporter' version, or a used 110 action, they'll do a barrel swap job to a heavy barrel in '06 for you for around $250 all in (including shipping), assuming you've already got an '06 bolt face (.25-06, 270 winchester, anything using the '06 parent case and a long action will work). All you have to do is send the rifle with instructions as to what you want them to do, and contact information so they can work out payment to their service address.

Poke around on the 'net, you'll find a good amount of information. I also highly recommend the accutrigger, if you can get it.
    Let us recollect that peace or war will not always be left to our option; that however moderate or unambitious we may be, we cannot count upon the moderation, or hope to extinguish the ambition of others. - Federalist 34

In order for you to make it a 223 you would also need a new bolt head as the case head diameter is smaller. Bolt heads are cheap like 20 bucks or so. And if you were ok with shooting as a single shot only that would be pretty much all you need. Savages are awesome.
    Savage 110E 7mm Rem Mag.

Savage 12FV .223 Rem

Are you sure you want a bull barrel?

Cow barrels shoot better...

Quote Originally Posted by bgold

LIES SLANDER AND FALSE ACCUSATIONS!!!! :lol: :shock:

Do not shy away from picking up a factory Savage heavy barrel, they are extremely good barrels and can be had for muck less than a replacement from a top barrel-maker.
    RIP 27 February, 2014

We greatly appreciated the years of your life you spent with all of us. Sleep well, brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Orkan
    Quote Originally Posted by bgold

LIES SLANDER AND FALSE ACCUSATIONS!!!! :lol: :shock:
    You're fired.

I have a Savage 116 with a McGowen 30-06 bull barrel, and it is to date the MOST accurate rifle I've ever owned. I shoot my 308's a lot more but when I'm shooting purely for accuracy, the Savage '06 gets the call everytime.

More recently I've heard that McGowen was having some QC issues, and I sincerely hope they've gotten that worked out because I could not be happier with my tube. I recently got rid of a few Savage's to fund a couple of Remington projects, but that '06 isn't going anywhere.

I purchased my '06 barrel from Northland Shooter Supply who is available over at savageshooters.com
    "Remeber boys, Aim small, miss small."

Ads