Hot Barrel Debate (Caution - Newbie Question)

This is a discussion on Hot Barrel Debate (Caution - Newbie Question) within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; OK... Let me see if I can answer a few of the questions and add some anecdotal information. My SPS Tactictal is still mounted on ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    OK... Let me see if I can answer a few of the questions and add some anecdotal information. My SPS Tactictal is still mounted on the same POS stock it came with. I just received one of the Hogue take-offs I bought from this site and will check it out this weekend. It can only help.

The first 10 rounds I fired at this last trip to the range were all over the place, but the second 10 were pulling together nicely. I was shooting fairly light loads. The first were Hornady A-Max 168gn and the second were good ol' Sierra 168gn HPBT, and all were loaded with 39gn of H-4895. The major difference was the Sierra's were in new Winchester brass and the bullets were seated .010 off of the lands. That said, I wouldn't have expected THAT dramatic of a change at 100 yards.¬*

But the plot thickens... I just noticed that I had failed to Lock-Tite two of the screws on my scope mounts. Put the torque wrench back on them and they weren't loose, but... ¬*

So,¬*I'm beginning to think this may have been a case of "clean barrel syndrome" coupled with a measure of "cheap stock", "newbie optics installation" and shear frustration. Thank you all (er... Thank Y'all) for your input. I value experience and always appreciate any advice offered. ¬*

bd
    "Texas can do without the United States,
    but the United States can't do without Texas."
    --General Sam Houston

I have a good one for you, talking about loose scope mounts. I've been working up a load for a T3 Lite 243. Settled on a load that was shooting very consistant 0.5" and some smaller three shot groups. While cleaning it a couple of weeks ago, I noticed the scope rings had slid back almost 3/4". Old Dump-A here had not tightened the back ring and front ring was only very snug.

Now for the good part, POI had only made one noticeable change during 30 rounds fired building this load. I reset the scope and made sure the rings were tight and took it back to the range and that load that was shooting so good, shoots like crap now. All that work down the tubes. I guess this sounds wiered but the scope must have been slipping just right to kee the group tight, and yet is was still holding zero.

As for a hot barrel, if its uncomfortable to hold my hand on it, it's set aside until cooled.

I've gotten my Tango 51 very hot, and had zero change in accuracy. Stays under .25 MOA.
    I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Quote Originally Posted by BenKeith
    I have a good one for you, talking about loose scope mounts. I've been working up a load for a T3 Lite 243. Settled on a load that was shooting very consistant 0.5" and some smaller three shot groups. While cleaning it a couple of weeks ago, I noticed the scope rings had slid back almost 3/4". Old Dump-A here had not tightened the back ring and front ring was only very snug.

Now for the good part, POI had only made one noticeable change during 30 rounds fired building this load. I reset the scope and made sure the rings were tight and took it back to the range and that load that was shooting so good, shoots like crap now. All that work down the tubes. I guess this sounds wiered but the scope must have been slipping just right to kee the group tight, and yet is was still holding zero.

As for a hot barrel, if its uncomfortable to hold my hand on it, it's set aside until cooled.
    Ben, this is the advantage of shooting a 300WM. :wink: If I don't get the scope rings tight enough, the scopes ends up slammed against the turret housing or the magnification ring. WOW! How did THAT get all the way up there? OOPS! :shock:

I'm glad you finally found the problem.

John
    "Those who do not study history are destined to repeat it."

"Pray for me cause I have lost my faith in holy wars... Will I learn what's truly sacred?
    Will I redeem my soul? Will truth set me free?" - Sharon den Adel

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyTheCat
    Generally, groups will increase when the barrel gets hot. But not always.

We have a Tac Ops that has a Krieger barrel. And it doesn't matter how hot the barrel gets. The point of impact never changes and accuracy never wavers. It's amazing.

Now we also have a Sako TRG-S and when it gets overly hot, the point of impact shifts. And it is much less accurate. But when cool, it is an extremely accurate rifle.

It is said that hammer forged barrels are more prone to point of impact shift. Apparently there's a theory that hammer forging creates stresses in the barrel that become a factor when the barrel heats up. This is just a theory and not a proven fact.

So keep the rifle barrel as cool as you can and shoot the piece as often as you must.

By the way, here in Northern Alberta we are expecting snow flurries tomorrow.

Fluffy
    Love my Krieger tube! So much I bought another one.
    Joseph M . DAndrea
    USMC 02-07
    Iraq 04-05 and 06-07

Quote Originally Posted by jrob
    Quote Originally Posted by BenKeith

Ben, this is the advantage of shooting a 300WM. :wink: If I don't get the scope rings tight enough, the scopes ends up slammed against the turret housing or the magnification ring. WOW! How did THAT get all the way up there? OOPS! :shock:

I'm glad you finally found the problem.

John
    Same exact thing happened to me on my .300 WM on my brand new out of the ox nightforce.
    Joseph M . DAndrea
    USMC 02-07
    Iraq 04-05 and 06-07

AU

Re: Hot Barrel Debate (Caution - Newbie Question)

Quote Originally Posted by bwdearman

I have been fighting some accuracy problems with my SPS 700 Tactical which has invited unsolicited advice from a number of resident "experts". One guy says that I'm firing too many rounds, too fast which is causing my barrel to get too hot and my accuracy is suffering as a result. In reality, I'm firing about eight rounds in half an hour. He's telling me I should shoot no more than two rounds over a ten minute period, then let my barrel cool for twenty. I'm thinking to myself "Six rounds an hour?!?"

Funny stuff! He clearly does not compete. I would forget any advice he gave. Bad barrel + heat = POI shift. Good barrel + heat = not likely until REALLY hot.
    The real question is what YOUR gun does. What "accuracy" problems do you have?

Another bit of advice I received was that if my barrel was too hot to touch, it was too hot to be accurate.
    Well, maybe. For a factory barrel you may well notice groups opening.
    Too hot to touch = less barrel life. It may or may not matter to you.

The way I see it, after four rounds, that barrel is going to be too hot to touch and it will stay that way until you take it into the range house and set it under the AC for a while.
    Nope, it will cool but not fast. I shoot in those conditions and hotter. The guns get hot. 40C + air temp is only a fraction of the internal temps. It just cools a bit slower. I am happy to fire a match + sighters worth of shots in those temps. OTOH, if I was not usng a .308/.223 or similar I would probably take a bit more care about what I was using and when.

So, my seasoned veterans, what say you? Is there a good ol' fashioned rule of thumb for shooting frequency and barrel temperature that we newbies can stick to?
    I say you need to work out what YOUR gun does and shoot more, worry less. List the "issues" you have so you can get some input on them.

well, all I know is that the us army wanted me to buy a barrel for my 60. !! Why..??? because I ran an entire belt (less 15 or so) without stopping.
    We were ordered to "use up" all the companies ammo.
    Washington DC , OLD GAURD, Delta co. 4 shoooters, 4 assistants trhee platoons so 12 shooters and an entire army trailer of 60 belts !!! afrter about 10 boxes my shoulder was shot and I was gonna have some fun. Every 3rd was a tracer and I wanted to do what I saw in the movies growing up.

of course everyone watching strarted watching me ...what a mess !!!
    The line nco got so mad he was hitting me on my helmet yelling "get off that gun . get off that gun !!!! " well needless to say ..they pulled me from the line and I let some of the meddics get therir kicks for a while. The barrel...glowing....was fine. didnt have to buy one ....but they knew....heat CAN destry the barrel if hot enough.
    But for me ...I wanna shoot dimes @ 200 yrds all day...so heat is a huge issue....these posts have been soooooo good ..tyhanks guys ...keep em comin !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ads