Remington SPS Tactical or Howa 1500

This is a discussion on Remington SPS Tactical or Howa 1500 within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I'm going to buy a new bolt rifle in .223. It will be used for punching paper and shooting coyotes. I would like to stay ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remington SPS Tactical or Howa 1500

I'm going to buy a new bolt rifle in .223. It will be used for punching paper and shooting coyotes. I would like to stay around $600 or less so that I have more money for glass. I like both the SPS Tactical and the Howa 1500 with 20 inch bull barrel. Does one have any advantage over the other? Price is fairly close with the Howa being a tad cheaper. The Howa does have a 1 in 12 twist as opposed to the 1 in 9 on the SPS Tactical. I plan to shoot 55 grain bullets.

That 1:9 twist would have set the tone for me. It will give you options and let you pick all sorts of ammo considering there is just so many types in 223. I own the tactical in 308! Just bought it. It is a tac driver for sure. Sub moa all the way! Do some research on barrel/velocity with a 20 inch barrel! I know for the 308, every inch taken off the barrel (24'') it is 20 fps taken off. EX. Sierra Matchking shoots regularly 2650, with a 20" barrel it shoots 2570!

I'm also throwing a Savage 10FP with 24 inch barrel in the mix. It is about $75 more than the Remington 700 SPS Tactical. I plan to mount a nice scope on it and shoot it. I will upgrade the stock when I get the money

can't go wrong with a savage! Probably the most accurate out of all of those rifles! 24 inch bbl is nice too! Especially for a 223, velocity is crucial! Never heard a bad review or comment on the 10fp

Quote Originally Posted by basebal223
    can't go wrong with a savage! Probably the most accurate out of all of those rifles! 24 inch bbl is nice too! Especially for a 223, velocity is crucial! Never heard a bad review or comment on the 10fp
    That's a broad statement and there are a lot of variables, including bullet selection.

Out of the box the Howa has the best and most adjustable trigger, the Howa also holds tighter tolerances during the manufacturing process. The trigger statement is a matter of opinion versus the accutrigger though, I don't like the accutrigger because I find it mushy. No one would argue that the X-Mark Pro Adjustable is nearly as nice as the Howa trigger or the Accutrigger out of the box though.

The deciding factor for you though may be the twist unless you want to change barrels right away.

Overall, of the three (howa, Remington, Savage) there isn't really a wrong answer, they are all decent rifles, each has it's strong points and it's weaknesses.

Oh man, I don't know a whole lot bout Howa's. I personally never been interested in them, not that they're bad or anything. I just really like the 700 action, and I don't mind the accutrigger. All I know and have tested, is savages tend to be more accurate out the box than even remingtons (or capable of producing sub .5 moa)

Not sure if its true, but i have heard that the only "accurate" howa's are the bull barrels? You seem to have knowledge on them.

I'm a little leary of the 1 in 12 twist. Although, I have had some tell me that with a 55 grain bullet and 200 yards or less I will not see a difference. I am thinking of just getting whichever of the three I can get the best deal on so that I can put a little more towards the glass

I have the Remington 700 SPS-V in .223 and with the 1:12 twist it's supposed to handle bullets up to 65 grains. The most accurate in mine seems to be the 63 grain Sierra semi-point bullet but I'm still working with loads. The 60 grain Sierra HP shows promise also.

A friend has a Howa 1500 in .308. From all I can see, it is a well made rifle and accurate. One feature I like better than the Remington is the extractor.

Another friend has a Savage in .223 with the Accu-Trigger and he's hard to beat in our informal bench rest matches.

Between the three brands, it comes down to personal preference IMO. As already said, you really can't make a bad choice between the three.

bulldogto,do you have a dicks sporting goods close to you. I was at one here in georgia and thy had a remington camo varmit rifle with scope for
    around $459.99.I didn't look at them so don't have any more info.wap18

I'd say if you plan on leaving it "as is" out of the box definatlely go with the savage. I have seen many produce sub 1/2 MOA out of the box. Otherwise I would say go for the Rem.
    I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads