DPMS LR-308 vs RRA LAR-8

This is a discussion on DPMS LR-308 vs RRA LAR-8 within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I want to purchase a .308 semi-auto rifle and I've narrowed it down to these two. Which would you buy and why? Any input would ...

DPMS LR-308 vs RRA LAR-8

I want to purchase a .308 semi-auto rifle and I've narrowed it down to these two. Which would you buy and why? Any input would be great.... thanks.

RRA LAR-8
    http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm? ... ory_id=254

DPMS LR-308
    http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=4854

GrimRipperXIII

I'vve had an LR-308 and the ups to it are AWESOME quality, reliability and ease of maintenance. At the time I had mine the only real downer was the cost of magazines. DPMS mags are expensive, C Products are close but decidely less expensive but there is a definet quallity difference, and now you have Magpul magazines for the DPMS rifles, if they had been available a year ago I wouldnt have traded my LR-308 AP4.

The RRA rifle is just about even quality wise as the DPMS and you have about as many options model wise, and it uses FN FAL magazines.

If I had it to do over again I'd still go with the DPMS, the magazine issue makes a world of difference. FAL mags are plentiful still but they arent inexpensive anymore.

I've owned the DPMS LR-308AP4, and it is a hands down accurate battle rifle. I regrettably sold it to afford the 24'' heavy barrel edition of the same rifle. I got 1/2 groupings @ 100y. with german made Nobel mil surpl. 7.62x51 ammo.
    "If you run, you will only die tired" 308 Hollow Souls.

thanks guys for the feedback... I'm leaning towards the DPMS. Would you guys suggest the 16" or 20"?

16 is okay, but if I had it to do over, I'd go with the 20.

I have a rra lar-8 with a 20 inch barrel and here is the skinny. first of all magazines are not an issue it will take any fal mag metric or inch pattern . I bought 10 at the gun show for 120.00 and springfield armory has new ones for 14.00 . you will pay extra for the 2 stage trigger which is standard on the rra along with the ambidextrious bolt release and mag release . there are now several after market rails and free float tubes avalible along with but stocks. thermold rock river arms and dsa are all in the process of producing polymer magazines and the barrel is a wilson.
    certainly I am biase since after doing research I decided it was my best option for rifles at this price point. 1050.00 out the door.
    now to be honest I have shot a dpms and an armalite as well and in my opinion you could pick any of the three and be well satisfied. there is not enough difference in price to let the dollar be the deciding factor. the next stop in the 308 ar market is double the price at a minimum and im sure the lmt , lwrc, noveske, larue and knights are worth the dollars but not economical for alot of us ,
    sorry for being long winded but I thought this might help . good luck and enjoy what you decide on.

Ads