Hog Wild! Need Help

This is a discussion on Hog Wild! Need Help within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hey guys and gals, I've been lurking for a little while, and now I need your help. I've really been lusting after a center fire ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hog Wild! Need Help

Hey guys and gals, I've been lurking for a little while, and now I need your help.

I've really been lusting after a center fire bolt action rifle for a while now, but last week I had a new experience, and some new requirements have been thrown into the mix. What was my experience you ask? Well, I went hog hunting on my Godfather's 200 acre ranch in East Texas. I'm totally and completely hooked! It was such a rush, and now it's difficult to think about anything else.

So here's the issue: I was hunting with a Benelli SBE with 3 1/2" buckshot (can you say recoil), and while this works well in many cases, there were several opportunities that I chose to pass up because I felt that the hogs were out of range for a clean kill. They were however EASILY within iron sight rifle range, which is what I want to switch to.

Here are my thoughts on rifles: As mentioned earlier, I really want a bolt action (probably .308). I'd like to do some longish range target shooting (maybe 600-800 yards), but I would also like to take this gun hunting. I would prefer a varmint barrel but want to keep the stock relatively light for carrying it around. The second issue is that I'm a recent college grad, so I'm on a budget. I'd love to have a custom build, but I can't afford the price tag; I'm trying to keep the cost under $1000 (without optics).

My initial attraction is to Savage's Model 10 line, especially because of how easy they are to work on, and their inherent accuracy. I really like the Precision Carbine, but I'm unsure about the quality of the stock. However, one issue I've noticed with Savage (especially current models) is that their upgrade path is limited compared to say.. Remington, so it leaves me feeling uncertain.

The next bolt action I've looked at is the Tikka T3, I really don't know that much about them, but people seem to say their quality is very nice; I really need to go handle one.

CZ 550 Varmint. I have several CZ pistols an love them. I've heard that their rifles are very accurate, but that the bolt lift is very high, requiring you to mount the scope high as well (annoying), but tell me more.

I would say Remington 700, but after handling a couple, I'm really not impressed by their fit, finish, or perceived level of quality.

My main concern about a bolt action in these formats (relatively tactical) is that we hog hunt at night, and therefore I would need iron sights. Unfortunately I'm looking for something kind of unique; an optic ready heavy barreled rifle with back up iron sights. I REALLY love the BUIS on the Specter-Babr from Underground Skunkworks http://www.undergroundsw.com/page3.php . In fact in my mind this would be the perfect gun, but I simply can't afford it. Is any kind of aftermarket BUIS system available for bolt actions?

OTHER RIFLES:

Ok, I've also been looking at the Marlin .308 MX. Seems like a good overall round, in a fairly compact rifle, and has the iron sights. Upgrade path: limited, but will do a hunting job well. Not really sure that I would want this one for range duty.

I have an AR lower that's waiting for its build. I was maybe thinking about doing a 6.8spc upper. This would give me enough firepower for the hogs.

The problem with both the .308MX and 6.8SPC is that who knows if these rounds might disappear at some point? We know that .308 winchester is here to stay.

Alright, I know this is a heck of a first post, but what do you guys think? What other recommendations do you have, I'm all ears! Please help![/url]

Administrator
    For hogs, I'd REALLY be taking a look at an autoloader instead of a bolt action. Oh, and Remington's 700 Series rifles are still a good rifle, despite the current bandwagon.

If I were to choose a factory bolt rifle with which to night hog, it would be a Remington LTR in .308, on which I would place a Schmidt & Bender 1.1-4x20mm Short Dot (or similar idea).

Just me.

-Nate
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge
    NRA Silhouette AA

For hunting hogs, you need a proper swinegun. A swinegun must be ugly, short and rugged. You need a Mosin Nagant Model 44 carbine. These are cheap and readily available. You can easily find 7.62x54R soft point ammo and this cartridge will decisively stop any hog.

A Mosin Nagant carbine is short and handy and it has all the accuracy you need. And if you drop it in the mud, you won't care.

And the Mosin Nagant Model 44 carbine has a folding bayonet. That way if you run out of ammo, you can discourage a charge and you won't be taken to task by tusk.

Fluffy
    I'm a genius. And you are not.

I have recently bought a Remington LTR in 308 and while I was waiting for its delivery I trolled around looking at ideas and suggestions on how to set this LTR up.

I came accross this on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNG2w2TADus

The idea of having a one piece rail which I can remove my long range tactical scope to be replaced by something like a aimpoint is very interesting.

You can shoot long range during the day and when it comes to hunting hogs and boar at night you have the aimpoint in a very accurate compact and light outfit.

I thnik the aimpoint would be ideal for night hunting under low light.

Regards aussie

So, looking for a .308 that can be used for hog hunting and long distance shooting. Also, you mentioned iron sites. To get close to the rifle you were looking at I would say the Sako TRG 22 with a 20" bbl; for iron sites 26" bbl would be better. However, to get close to the skunk works rifle the 20" bbl would do. Also, the weight of the Sako TRG 22 26" is 10.25 lbs; that would make the 20" around 10 lbs. or less.

The TRG 22 rifle would be less expensive then a custom rifle. An example I purchased a brand new one from a member a the Hide for $2900. It came with the Sako bipod, Roedale break, and three Sako 10 round magazines. Buying one from a retailer might cost a little more than what I paid.

Just a little extra:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJz2B90_7Ko

Jamie

Oh I forgot to mention I can help out with the removal of some of the hogs

Jamie

I really like the Sako TRG 22. Unfortunately, it's about $2000 over my price limit, so it's totally ruled out.

I also really like the idea of an Aimpoint on top of there, I guess I didn't give much consideration to how difficult it would still be to see irons at night. So because of the low power, do you think it would still be fairly easy to see through an Aimpoint at night?

Jamie, we have enough hogs for everybody on the forum to come down and have a good time :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by xanderzuk
    I really like the Sako TRG 22. Unfortunately, it's about $2000 over my price limit, so it's totally ruled out.

I also really like the idea of an Aimpoint on top of there, I guess I didn't give much consideration to how difficult it would still be to see irons at night. So because of the low power, do you think it would still be fairly easy to see through an Aimpoint at night?
    I only mentioned the TRG 22 because of the Skunkworks rifle was price at $4000 and I figured you might be looking to spend over your budget. You could go with a R700 SPS varmint bbl with an aim point on it. This would allow you to customize it over time.

Jamie

I haven't been HOG hunting for a long time. Last I did go ... I took my M1A and it worked great!

Pros
    Autoloader
    308 caliber
    Tons of aftermarket for upgrades

Cons
    kind of Heavy
    Can get spendy to get MOA accuracy

For your intended use, HOGS, you could get a scout and use Irons or put an Aimpoint or Scout scope on it and go get busy. If you were willing to pack a little more weight get a Loaded model and have better long range accuracy. This setup will not match a bolt rifle for accuracy unless you tune it up and spend some coin on it, but you can get started hunting hogs and work into upgrades.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads