Where to buy actions?

This is a discussion on Where to buy actions? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I'm looking for a Savage 110 or Remington 700 long action. I can't seem to find any online, is there a website I don't know ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where to buy actions?

I'm looking for a Savage 110 or Remington 700 long action. I can't seem to find any online, is there a website I don't know about that sells them? I'm looking for good used, or cheap new.
    Happiness is a warm gun.

Stevens 200 6.5x47 Lapua project rifle
    6.5x55 M96 Swedish Mauser
    S&W 1500 .30-06
    Savage 64FXP
    Springfield XD45 Tactical Bi-tone

Re: Where to buy actions?

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5man
    I'm looking for a Savage 110 or Remington 700 long action. I can't seem to find any online, is there a website I don't know about that sells them? I'm looking for good used, or cheap new.
    A Savage Action isn't hard to get, I can get you one, Mel can get you one or if you don't need the accutrigger the cheapest way into one is to buy a Steven 200 and toss the barrel, stock and trigger. I like the Rifle Basix trigger for the Savage.

The Remington receiver isn't sold alone...much. Brownells had a few earlier this year and they may have some .223 models left now. However, if you want to use the factory bottom metal/trigger guard it's cheaper to buy an SPS or a youth SPS and toss the stock and barrel. There is also a store on Gun Broker that sells the Remington actions but it's still cheaper to buy a complete rifle and appropriate the parts you want.

Edited to add that Brownell's has more short action Remington receivers in stock. They are $500 plus what you'll pay an FFL to receive it with no bottom metal. Sorry for the error.

Go to your local pawn shop. The .30-06 and .270 Winchester are the two most common hunting rifle cartridges and there are plenty of them in pawn shops.

Re: Where to buy actions?

Quote Originally Posted by oneeyedmac
    Quote Originally Posted by 6.5man
    A Savage Action isn't hard to get, I can get you one, Mel can get you one or if you don't need the accutrigger the cheapest way into one is to buy a Steven 200 and toss the barrel, stock and trigger. I like the Rifle Basix trigger for the Savage.
    Thanks for the info guys.
    Mac, just out of curiosity, could you shoot me a PM with the price of a new Savage action w/ accutrigger or a used one if you have one? I have been eyeballing some of the basic Stevens 200 rifles. It looks like I can get one from gunbroker or buds for about $300-$350, so that may also be a viable option.
    Happiness is a warm gun.

S&W 1500 .30-06
    Savage 64FXP

When I was looking around for an action to build with I found it was cheaper in the long run to go with a custom action, in my case a Stiller Tac 30. It fits in a standard Remington 700 inlet. It comes with features I would have put on anyway, plus a few improvements I probably wouldn't have. The action is already trued, so there is no need to pay a gunsmith to fix the action for you. There are others out there but here is the website for Stiller.

http://www.viperactions.com/
    What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.
    - William Shakespeare

How long is the lead time on the Stiller action?

Sometimes the Stillers are in stock and sometimes Brownells or MidwayUSA may have one. I know that Brownells has the Surgeon RSR in stock at the moment for $788 retail and that's a great deal for a custom action.

What kind of Savage action would you want? They have a basic one with a DBM and a detachable mag varmint version. The sporter actions, which have a magazine box, follower, spring trigger guard etc but are a blind botton start at around $425. Tha Varmint actions are in stanless and have a detachable box magazine and are $470. The single shot target actions with the 6 ounce accutrigger and are availabel RH/ Left Port or RH/RP are $525 and are a bit harder to get.

Remington makes a less expensive Remington 700. It comes with a scope on it and it is the least expensive way to get a Remington action. They are $400. If you are going to toss the barrel, that is less than buying an SPS at $600. Sorry I don't know the model number. The Sportsmans warehouse has one.

Keep in mind that there are short actions, short action magnums, long actions and long action magnums. There may also be a super short action (223) I am not sure. Be sure to get the right action for the caliber you are going to build.

Remington makes a less expensive Remington 700. It comes with a scope on it and it is the least expensive way to get a Remington action. They are $400. If you are going to toss the barrel, that is less than buying an SPS at $600. Sorry I don't know the model number.
    You would be speaking of the Remington 710 and/or 770. They are NOT a 700. They are totally different actions. There are several undesirable differences, one of which is there is no aftermarket support for just about anything. I've read of several other undesirable features that seem to escape me at the moment.

In short, don't buy a Remington 710 and/or a 770 expecting performance or aftermarket support.

Quote Originally Posted by oneeyedmac

What kind of Savage action would you want? They have a basic one with a DBM and a detachable mag varmint version. The sporter actions, which have a magazine box, follower, spring trigger guard etc but are a blind botton start at around $425. Tha Varmint actions are in stanless and have a detachable box magazine and are $470. The single shot target actions with the 6 ounce accutrigger and are availabel RH/ Left Port or RH/RP are $525 and are a bit harder to get.
    Man, I didn't know there were so many options, I suppose this kind of complicates things. What is the difference between the standard version and the varmint version? Im not too interested in the target actions as this is going to be a budget-ish build done in stages.

Ideally, I'd like to get a long action (non magnum, 30-06 bolt face) with the detachable magazine, and accutrigger, such as the one found on the new 111FCNS. Being that I'm not a pro on Savage actions, if you have any pointers towards a different one, I'm open to sugggestions. I really like the idea of a larger 10 round detachable magazine that I could add in the future, such as the one CDI makes. But, I'm not sure if that would be ideal as I'm making this rifle to be in 6.5x55 caliber. Suggestions?
    Happiness is a warm gun.

S&W 1500 .30-06
    Savage 64FXP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads