Best .308 Tactical low cost rifle ?

This is a discussion on Best .308 Tactical low cost rifle ? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hi folks, new here and lovin it so far ! Been reading lots of posts for ideas and have been very impressed. I would like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best .308 Tactical low cost rifle ?

Hi folks, new here and lovin it so far !
    Been reading lots of posts for ideas and have been very impressed.
    I would like some advice on a .308 Tactical / Target rifle to try my hand at long range shooting . I will be doing Target stuff only, i reload, i like a good trigger and would like to use the Bell & Carson stock... if i can import one ?
    Ideas so far are as follows
    Remington .308 Tactical 20" $1350 AU so so trigger, so so stock ?
    Savage f10 .308 , heavy fluted long braked barrel , Accu trigger and stock ( dont need or want the brake )$1300 AU
    Vanguard Sub Moa .308 $1350 AU
    Howa 1500 $ not sure ?
    sendero ? $1800 AU

Any other ideas ?

I have a Mueller Tactical 9- 25 x 44 Mil Dot cheap scope ... will this be ok for a starter ? It lives on my .222 BRNO FOx and works great on that .

I like the SC Howa build and wish i could get one here , as our dollar is quite good at the moment !

So i guess i need something like the SC Howa, and may spend a bit more if i need to , but would like to keep it low end at the moment.
    I mainly need a rifle that is consistant with its grouping , so that i can see how i am shooting, but obviously sub moa 0.50 0.75 would be awesome !

Thanks for all input cheers Anthony

P.S , any Aussies who can recommend a good shop and target club in the Geelong , Victoria area ?
    Howa 1500 .308 Varmint
    Howa 1500 .223 Sporter
    CZ 452 .22 Super Exclusive
    CZ 9MM SP01 Shadow

Gday mate! If your just want to shoot long range and aren't too fussed with the tactical side of things the Savage target rifles are very good! (only problem is they're single shot)

Now as for a range, come down to Geelong rifle club in anakie this saturday, Shooting starts at 12 and finishes around 3.30 new folks are always more than welcome, we'll even let you have a go on the club rifle while you're there.

My names Matt and I compete down there in F-class on an almost weekly basis. See you there

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper_Beast
    Now as for a range, come down to Geelong rifle club in anakie this saturday, Shooting starts at 12 and finishes around 3.30 new folks are always more than welcome, we'll even let you have a go on the club rifle while you're there.

My names Matt and I compete down there in F-class on an almost weekly basis. See you there
    That's an excellent idea. Go down there and shoot as many different rifles as people will let you shoot without looking at you funny. Try to find the rifle that speaks to you, then you have your gun. I assume Aussie shooters are a lot like American ones in that we really like new people coming out to get involved in our sport/passion and most are very willing to help. You can make some life long friends if you aren't a jerk, and maybe if you are.

Re: Best .308 Tactical low cost rifle ?

Quote Originally Posted by AussieShot
    I mainly need a rifle that is consistant with its grouping , so that i can see how i am shooting, but obviously sub moa 0.50 0.75 would be awesome !
    Currently, I am using a recently acquired Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308. Out of the box using a variety of loads and even allowing for a less than expertly set up rest, that rifle has shot on average 0.75 moa and one group turned in 0.5 moa - that is straight out of the box with a lot more work to do on perfecting my development and testing of the best possible load. I am less than an expert to say the least, but speaking purely from my own experience of this rifle I have nothing but praise for it. In fact, I can't wait to get up to the range to get it in to action. I like the ergonomics of the stock and, in my last shoot, the rifle was delivering sub moa groups at 600 yards and has attracted some friendly threats from a fellow competitor (something about bending the barrel).

By the way, the scope is a Redfield Accurange 3-9X40 (cost me less than $250 including insurance and postage) and its a little beauty. It is mounted on a Leupold LR mount as I will be shooting out to 1000 yards. Eventually I would like to get a Schmidt and Bender similar to the Marines but I don't get the same defence budget allocation as they do so.... :wink:

I have a McMillan M40-A1 stock waiting to try out but I am no hurry because I am simply delighted with how this firearm shoots straight out of the box and want to spend time getting to know it better and eventually develop the best possible load. After that, I will try the McMillan stock and see how she goes by comparison.

You will have no trouble importing a stock by the way. I got mine from McMillans with no issues whatsoever.

So, for me, with the budget being an issue, I am absolutely stoked with the Rem 700 SPS Varmint just as it is straight out of the box. On its worst day it will shoot better than I ever will. I just love that rifle. Of course, each rifle is different and there are no guarantees but that has been my experience.

Anyway, that's my ten cents; good luck with your inquiries.
    'And then it was that I could see the power of God helped men if they would only trust Him."
    (Sergeant Alvin C. York)

Long term plans for the rifle would play a part, as in build options as you upgraded down the road. I don't know the market and availabilty of parts down under so the tip on hitting the range to ask local shooters is a good bet.

Recently I had two friends want to get into the precision shooting after shooting some steel at 500 to 800 with a few of my rifles. They wanted to keep the whole affair under $1500 w/ optics. I got them setup with Savage Model 10 Precision Carbines, SS 3-9 FFP, Warne steel base and Rings. Good shooting sub moa rifles and we worked a load up for on of them and he has shot several .75 groups. The options for Savage build support is improving but that rifle has a decent stock and trigger right out of the box with heavy 1:10 twist barrel.

Long term build over time, I would get a 700 Rem and replace the stock first.

Hey,

Another Aussie in the same boat... I have been doing a lot of info trawling on the rifles you list and for me the decision has come down to the Vanguard Sub-Moa Varmint. There isnt an overly huge amount of info on it compared to the Remmy's and Savages, but all the info I can find is good and straight out of the box seems it will require less work than some of the other candidates listed above.

Does anyone know why this rifle wouldnt make a good choice?

For me thats a better deal the $1300 for the SPS Tac and then another few hundred for a stock to replace the tupperware.

Hi beefa,

The Vanguard Varmint is the same rifle as the Howa Varmint, so that might help you find some more info on it :wink:

Cheers SB,

http://www.snipercentral.com/howa.htm .. seems like a solid choice then, though I much prefer the looks of the Weatherby stock... and we all know how important that is

Yeah man! just lietting you know for future reference though when you go to buy a base and that.

http://www.geelongrifleclub.asn.au/

Thats the Club site Anth, go to contacts and let give Brendan a call and tell him your coming down saturday to make sure he brings the club rifle with him.

If you are not looking to build later the I think the Tikka varmint is the best bang for your buck in Aus. If you are looking to build then a bog stock remy is the way to go. IMHO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads