T/C Venture Predator Rifle .308

This is a discussion on T/C Venture Predator Rifle .308 within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; So I've been researching several rifles for predator/target shooting. Yesterday I went into the local gun shop, and talk to the salesperson about what I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

T/C Venture Predator Rifle .308

So I've been researching several rifles for predator/target shooting. Yesterday I went into the local gun shop, and talk to the salesperson about what I was looking for. He showed me this,
    http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/venture_predator.php

They guarantee sub MOA accuracy and it has some good features for the hunt. I was a bit leery about the skinny barrel, that they claim is match grade. I'd like to know the opinions of what you guys think of a sub moa gun with such a skinny and light barrel. I'm sure its great for hunting, only shooting very few rounds per day, but what about target shooting and putting 50-100 rds through it in a couple of hours? Will it maintain its accuracy after being heated up?
    Well, take a look at the link and tell me what you think.

I am getting the precision hunter in 308, they claim MOA out of the box, will see, I do like the scope base integral with the receiver.

50-100 an hour? That little barrel is going to be hanging to the floor after you heat it up that much. :lol: Those little barrels don't take but a few shots to get hot anyway. If you are really going to be doing that kind of shooting I think a fluted heavy barrel would be much better.

But if you do get the venture, please let us know how it performs. I have a friend who was looking at one for a while. He'd be grateful for a good (read honest) review.

Yes, 50-100 rds in an hour is a bit excessive for a target rifle. I just saying an average amount of rds someone would fire in 2-3 hours at the range. That being said, I'm leaning towards a Howa 1500 scope package from Turners Outdoorsmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen8511
    Yes, 50-100 rds in an hour is a bit excessive for a target rifle. I just saying an average amount of rds someone would fire in 2-3 hours at the range. That being said, I'm leaning towards a Howa 1500 scope package from Turners Outdoorsmen.
    100 rounds an hour would be almost 2 a minute. I'd like to see someone keep that pace with a .308 for a solid hour and keep hitting accurately. :P

Don't forget to look at the howa packages here.

As far as target shooting though, I believe any size barrel works. Of course heavy barrels will heat up slower, fluting will cool faster, and all of that. If you are in a competition when you absolutely have to shoot x rounds in x time frame, those elements will matter. But if you are just shooting at the range, no one is making you shoot fast. If the barrel heats up in 2 shots, shoot 2 and let it cool. I always have a .22lr at the range, so I shoot a big gun until the barrel gets warm, and then let it cool while I shoot the .22lr. The skinny barrel won't give you as many shots until it warms up, but if you are just at the range playing around, that's not a big deal.

Thanks for the input Mr-lama. Your right I'm not going to be shooting at the cyclic rate. I have looked at the howa packages here, but I wish I could get a Howa with a 20" barrel from Mel. I'm still shopping around and researching, so well see..

talk to Larry McElroy (oneeyedmac) and see if he can get you a 20" Howa. They do make the barreled actions in 20" so he may be able to hook you up. He's a great guy and an excellent smith.
    Now a proud owner of a Larry McElroy built Savage. Stockade Stock. WoTac 4-14. 20" McGowen Bbl. Harris Bipod. Duracoated and cammied out!!!

I've owned a few T/C firearms and all have worked flawlessly,never have tried one of there bolt guns though...I'd say I would have pretty good confidence in their rifles,been looking at their Icon Warlord personally,let us know and goodshootin'

-R
    "There is a very thin line between being Brave and being Stupid.",~R.Reagan

10-4 folks. I still got a couple of months to figure things out as far as rifles to pick, and SC package is a definitely a contender.

I bought a venture in 22-250 and love it. The only gripe I have is that it is hard to get the last round in the mag. I only shoot a round about every 2-3 minutes to let the barrel cool a bit. I didn't want a heavy barrel to hunt with because of the weight. If you can deal with the limitations it’s a great rifle with a great trigger. I don’t know what is different about it but it seems easier to clean than my 700’s. Its more accurate than I can hold when I feed it good ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads