Tikka T3 Lite 243, starting to "P***" me off!

This is a discussion on Tikka T3 Lite 243, starting to "P***" me off! within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; As I have mentioned before, I bought my granddaughter a 243, T3 Lite a few months ago because I didn't want her using her custom ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tikka T3 Lite 243, starting to "P***" me off!

As I have mentioned before, I bought my granddaughter a 243, T3 Lite a few months ago because I didn't want her using her custom 260 for deer hunting. Whe had been shooting Sierra 85gr BTHP's and H-414 for paper targets with very good groups out to 400yds. About a month ago, for deer season, I dumped some RL-17 behind a Nosler 95gr Ballistic Tip, took the target scope, installed the Monarch 2.5x10 hunting scope, zero'd at 100yds. The rifle was consistantly shooting sub .250" groups.

We are going coyote hunting tomorrow and a friend is going to use that rifle so I went to the range this morning and zero'd it for 200yds with the 95gr bullets, since I already have them loaded. I made four single shots to set and verify zero at 200yds. Then I shot two, three shot groups. The first was had all three bullets over lapping, the second I could tell there were two bullet holes and had to look on the back of the target to verify the third was through there.

These were 1/4" and smaller groups at 200yds. Flipping $500, over-the-counter rifles are not suppose to be shooting like that. The only thing I've done to it is set the trigger pull at two pounds, yet the more we shoot it, the more accurate the little bas*** is getting. I've got some rather high dollar custom rifles that's not shooting that good or any better than that.

Yep those Tikkas sure are annoying as hell... My Tactical is giving me really hard time as i am absolutely unable to blame rifle for any above .5moa groups...

Seriously though i find it very reassuring that in todays world there can be a company that constantly produces quality gear and doesn't charge world for it.

Enjoy...

Quote Originally Posted by sharac
    that in todays world there can be a company that constantly produces quality gear and doesn't charge world for it.
    Spot on.
    British Army 1997 - 2003

Thats why I tell people to buy Tikka's they just shoot!

SW Ohio when I am not on my motorcycle riding north
    Man very cool to hear. I was looking for a rifle and was recomended the Tikka T3 Lite....I want a 30.06 but it is nice to hear they shoot that good.

Just had my .308 Super Varmint at the range for the first time yesterday. Very happy with it and glad I went with a Tikka.

If your 308 is anything like this 243, you are going to be even happier once you get a couple of hundred rounds through it and get a good load for it. When I first got it, I thought it shot pretty good for a cheap rifle, probably .5" - .75" groups with the first loads I was trying in it and with a little developement, I got those down to approx .5" group average.

I had the stock off several times adjusting the trigger pull and looking at ways to install pillar post and glass bed it to see if I could improve it some more. I noticed that every time I put it back on and torqued the screws down, it seem to pull deeper into the composite stock and never felt like it was getting tight, but I was scared to pull it down to where I felt it was really tight, thinking it might bust the trigger guard/bottom plate. After several times shooting it and doing this, it finally buried itself deeper into the stock and the screws torqued down rock solid. Then it started shooting all over the place, it would have fliers that would be a couple of inches off POA. I discovered the barrel had pulled down against the stock so I opened the barrel channel some more to get it free floating again. I also found I didn't have the rear scope rings tight and it had slipped back on me. After fixing those problems the little sucker started shooting real good and has gotten better and better the more we've shot it. When I started shooting these 95gr Ballistic Tips and using RL-17 powder, the dang thing is just plain old ungoddly accurate. It's blows my mind everytime we take it to the range now at just how frigging accurate a little $500 rifle can be. The unreal part is it shoots a 1/4" group with a cold clean barrel, let it cool for 15 minutes and shoot another that's even smaller in almost the same hole as the first, I've put six bullets in a .25" groups, starting with a cold, clean barrel. That kind of shooting is only suppose to be with some very high dollar custom's, it's not suppose to happen with cheap $500 rifles.

Needless to say, I have given up any thoughts of bedding the action. Matter of fack, unless something happens to it, I never plan to take the stock off of it again. I don't want chance anything changing from what it is right now.

Jason1973, one word of caution, I hope you are not recoil sensitive. At 6 1/2 pounds and that hard butt plate on them, a 30-06 will probably kick the salt out of a biscuit. I've seen several 7mm Magnum's that looked brand new sitting in used gun racks that people have brought back and traded because they couldn't handle the recoil. Even this 243 has made my granddaughter cry once when she didn't have it in her shoulder just right, and that was with a LimbSaver recoil pad on it.

Dear Mr. Keith:

I feel your pain. I would be angry too.

And purely out of the goodness of my heart, I am starting a charitable foundation. I intend to start a home for unloved firearms.

That way folks can send me their unwanted Colt Pythons, Merkel drillings and Krieghoff shotguns. I will give them a good home and save folks the misery of having to own them.

You can send me your .243 at any time and I promise that I will make sure that Squinty keeps it well oiled and rust-free at all times.

Fluffy
    I'm a genius. And you are not.

Thanks for the offer Fluffy, that is more than generous of you, but I've never been a man to pass my problems on to someone else and burden them with having to take care of them.

I only bought it for her to deer hunt with anyway and deer season will be over 1 Jan so we can put it away and not have to be bothered with it anymore until next season. She had much rather shoot her 260 anyway.

Went to range to zero replacement scope on my 222. One of the targets was still there so I brought it home. Rain had wet the paper they were on and the other was gone, but this was the smaller one, there are three bullets in that hole. The other one was just a little larger and centered, and you could tell all three bullet holes. It was where I made my final adjustment after this one.

Like I said, $500 rifles are not suppose to do this at 200yds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads