mcgowen rifle barrels?

This is a discussion on mcgowen rifle barrels? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Has anyone had any expiernce with these barrels I am interested.in a 6.5-300 win mag for a rem 700...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

mcgowen rifle barrels?

Has anyone had any expiernce with these barrels I am interested.in a 6.5-300 win mag for a rem 700
    Building a rem 700 rebarreling and rechambering a base model 30-06 to something 6.5-06, 6.5-300win. . .

Any input would help decide.

I have a McGowen on my 300WM now. It shoots the lights out. They have had some issues with quality and personnel, but that's been some time.

I love the barrel. The company has question marks.

John
    "Those who do not study history are destined to repeat it."

"Pray for me cause I have lost my faith in holy wars... Will I learn what's truly sacred?
    Will I redeem my soul? Will truth set me free?" - Sharon den Adel

They actually started out in a small town a few miles from my house (edit* Saint Anne IL), they have since relocated to Montana. I have heard good and bad things about them, I am currently aquiring a .300 WM savage with a McGowen barrel, I'll let you all know how it shoots when i get it. The complaints I have heard was more of on their customer service end and not on how their barrels shoot. I'm sure other's will be better filling you in there as I have not shot one yet.

I have a McGowen barrel on my granddaughters 260. Approx last Sep, I sent the barreled action and had them install their CS barrel, lap the lugs, install their muzzle break, make a thread cap, and blue it. That barrel shot ok to start with but by the time it had 175 rounds through it, it was heavily copper fouling and accuracy had gone to crap. I sent the barreled action back for them to check it and they installed a new barrel. This barrel has approx 250 rounds through it and it's still copper fouling but no where near what the other one did, but the accuracy has gotten pretty good now. It's easily shooting 1/2 MOA groups. I used over 20 single shot rounds and cleaned after each to break in, but that had almost no affect on the fouling. I've been cleaning it every time we finish shoot that day and over time, it has gotten better.

There were some things they did that I thought was very poor smithing though. They ground about .020" off the shoulder on the face of the bolt, I guess that was easier than chambering it properly to get the headspace right. This was a mauser style action and had a steel band crimped around the bolt to hold the ejector. They took it off and it spread so bad it drug through the action and I had to grind and polish down some to get it to slide smooth.

I have a 788, 6mm that needs a new barrel and I'm debateing if I want to let them do it. The ONLY reason I'm considering them is the rifle is not really worth the price of another new barrel and I don't want to spend too much replacing it. THe problem is, I a firm believer in you pretty much get what you pay for and when you buy cheap, you get cheap and it just not cost a whole lot more to get a top notch barrel. Krieger does not list that action as one he installs barrels on, if he did, it would probably be in the mail to him. I'm contenplating seeing what the one eyed monster will do it for and send it to him.

Thank you all for your replys I am starting a build in 6.5 as mention and they have the remear for the load in question. I will more then likely get this barrel not sure if they will be the ones installing it though.
    Building a rem 700 rebarreling and rechambering a base model 30-06 to something 6.5-06, 6.5-300win. . .

I've got one in 30-06 (Select Stainless Heavy Match) on a custom Savage build. Easily the most accurate rifle I own, and the only thing "special" is the barrel. I have also heard about some internal issues they may have had, but I couldn'e be happier with mine.
    "Remeber boys, Aim small, miss small."

So what we see in this thread, and what I've seen through my experience, is sometime McGowan barrels are pretty good and sometimes they are pretty bad.

This is from the McGowan web site and pretty much sums up their products:

Gunsmithing Services
    We offer a variety of gunsmithing services from re-barreling of most bolt and lever action rifles to installation of sights and bluing. Please note that we are not benchrest gunsmiths. All chambering is done to SAAMI specifications unless you, the customer, supplies your own custom chambering reamer. Standard re-barrel work includes chambering, threading for your receiver, crowning and installation.
    So the reamer they are using is no better or worse than anyone elses, it's SAAMI spec.

A contoured McGowan CM barrel is $185, the same Shilen barrel is $200 and from Krieger is $285. Spend the extra money and you don't have to worry about getting a bad one. I've had very good results with Shilen barrels and no one (or not many) have ever had a bad barrel from Krieger. I've not heard of it first hand or even second hand anyway. If the rifle isn't worth putting a good barrel on get am ER Shaw chambered and threaded for $116. They are the smae quality, or a little better, than a factory barrel and that's what they claim they are.

I have used several of them and have had good luck with accuracy. I have seen a couple of them with some dings and other things that did not effect accuracy. But I have not seen those issues in a while. Have had very good luck with the recent ones

MEL

Wow thank you all for the reply post looks like mcgowen are just the guys for me

McGowan barrels

Quote Originally Posted by shelbuilt View Post
    Has anyone had any expiernce with these barrels I am interested.in a 6.5-300 win mag for a rem 700
    I sent McGowan a Sako action and received the barreled action (6.5x284) in 5 months. I did all the stock work and bedded it in Devcon steel. Classic style hunting rifle with figured stock. I have used 3 different bullets, 2 powders and 2 different scopes and the rifle groups 3". I sent the complete rifle back to McGowan in Nov. I was told that their gunsmith would check the gun out. H soon afterward asked for loaded ammo to test fire the gun (early Nov). I talked to him a few minutes ago, and he has not fired the rifle yet. He stated he would next week. ( He also said he would a month ago). I doubt that I will ever get any satisfaction out of this company. I don't get any idea that they will replace the barrel. Good luck. Irifleman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads