Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

One more Garand in the stable.......and a Turkish Mauser too

984 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  HavelockLEO 
#1 ·
About two weeks ago I got the bug to do some trade'n at one of the gun shops I frequent and after looking around at the rifles they had in the rack and propped up behind the counter and I found a Harrington and Richardson Garand in pretty good shape.

The high points of the old girl are-

Receiver- 4.6 Million HRA
Trigger Group -Springfield
Op-rod- Springfield
Barrel-11/53 HRA TE -8 ME-4
Bolt-HRA

So I had to buy a new barrel. I went with a Criterion GI profile in .30-06 and I have to replace the front handguard since it had a pretty badly repaired crack running its full length.

Here was the real shocker with the rifle, who ever had it before I got her made a very bad attempt to make a match rifle out of her. They untized the front and rear handguards with epoxie, then went a few steps further and epoxied the lower band and the gas cylinder plug.

To get the gas cylinder plug out we tried heating the cylinder lock, and that didnt work. My gunsmith told me he tried just about everything he knew how to do, and finally got the plug out without damaging the gas cylinder or the lock.

So now I'm waiting on my new barrel to arrive from DGR in Tennessee then I'll get her together and add her to the other four I have.

Oh yeah and I brought really sweet little Turkish Mauser back with the Garand on this trip.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.