Remington 700 Replacement Bolt ?

This is a discussion on Remington 700 Replacement Bolt ? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I read a rather odd comment somewhere else (I'm not saying where) and wanted to see if it sounded reasonable or silly. The comment was, ...

Remington 700 Replacement Bolt ?

I read a rather odd comment somewhere else (I'm not saying where) and wanted to see if it sounded reasonable or silly. The comment was, rather than paying to have an oversized bolt knob installed on a stock bolt, spend the extra bucks and get a better bolt with one already installed.

I'm not sure if this is a reasonable thing to do or if I'm just hearing the usual internet BS.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

Re: Remington 700 Replacement Bolt ?

You can do that, PTG and david Tubb makes them. They are around $379.

http://www.davidtubb.com/700_bolt.html

http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/prod ... dtruingkit
    -Scott
    USMC Veteran
    Semper Fi Till I Die

To all my fallen brothers you will not be forgotten

Are these true drop ins? I am interesteed in doing this to my rem 700 myself. If they are true dropins, I would go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by coach4christ
    Are these true drop ins? I am interesteed in doing this to my rem 700 myself. If they are true dropins, I would go for it.
    The Tubb says no. It's hard to tell with the PT&G, everything seems to be parts rather than a complete bolt. But it may just be that all that's needed is the bolt "shell", the guts are easy to remove (except perhaps the ejector). I'm going to drop them a line on Monday.

You'd have to have the headspaced checked and properly adjusted. A Remington 700 isn't like a Savage, there isn't really a drop in scenario with the bolt or barrel. Even if you buy a pre-chambered barrel for a Remy it's either short chambered and you finish chamber it to the proper headspace or it's long chambered and you cut the shoulder to properly head space it.

As far as whther to buy a whole new bolt in order to get the bolt handle....That would be up to the end user. The PT&G bolt is better quality and it's one piece, the bolt handle isn't brazed, silver soldered soldered or tig welded on. So, if you are in the process of building a Remington 700 based custom anyway the argument could be made to replace the bolt, but it's an expensive solution if all you want is a bigger bolt handle. Really, once you start pouring that much money on the Remy it makes sense to start with a Surgeon RSR or Stiller Tac 30 anyhow. The PT&G bolt assembly (with a regular bolt handle) is $300 at midwayusa (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=124717), si if you pick up a donor 700 for $500 and put $325 into the bolt you are at $825. I know it's higher math. That's not too mych shy of the Surgeon RSR although if you buy the Surgeon you do have to buy decent bottom metal and a trigger. You can just buy a Surgeon based custom from me for $3150.

I sure hope I wasn't the guy elsewhere on the web suggesting replacing the bolt with the PT&G....

[quote="oneeyedmac"I sure hope I wasn't the guy elsewhere on the web suggesting replacing the bolt with the PT&G....[/quote]
    No. Your answer seems to confirm what I already thought. This guy was talking about "drop in" bolts with teardrop knobs and fluting for around $250. I had the sneaking suspicion that he hadn't done his research (or was a shill for someone who was selling something).

Ads