PTR MSG91

This is a discussion on PTR MSG91 within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I picked this little beauty up recently. PTR MSG-91 .308/7.62x51mm NATO Semi-Automatic Delayed Roller Recoil Operated Battle Rifle with a 18" fluted barrel, black furniture, ...

Thread: PTR MSG91

PTR MSG91

I picked this little beauty up recently. PTR MSG-91 .308/7.62x51mm NATO Semi-Automatic Delayed Roller Recoil Operated Battle Rifle with a 18" fluted barrel, black furniture, tactical handguard with a 3" rail, welded picatinny accessory rail and Harris bipod, H&K style pre-ban flash hider, a black H&K navy type polymer trigger group, a black Magpul PRS2 adjustable buttstock, Osprey Harrier 4-12x44mm scope. It is a 2009 production and got it for a steal with original box and paperwork. I wasn't expecting too much accuracy out of it, but I figured it would be a good hog gun from the box stand.

It came with an Osprey 3-18x50mm scope, but it was raised super high and the charge handle still hit the bell so I took my cheap little Osprey 4-12x44, removed the rear sight and dropped it low. Later this year I will look at getting new optics, but it ate up most of my gun money for the first half of the year at least.

Took her to the range recently to sight it in and try different ammunitions. Of course all hunting rounds (6 types). After the range trip I got a deal on 240 rounds of match and a 200 round German battle pack, so those will be ready for the next range day. The recoil was like butter. Ran about 70 rounds through it and no shoulder fatigue at all. No failures or any issues. Now keep in mind that I am VERY new to shooting rifles. Only been shooting scoped rifles for about a year or two so I learn more every time I shoot. But I was getting consistent 1" groups and a few 2" groups (it was freezing and 20+ mph winds, so i was not as steady as I would like). Not bad groups for a new shooter. I would love for a pro to put some match down her and see what she actually does.

The 8 pound trigger is a bit heavy. I need to find a good gunsmith that can do a trigger job and maybe something about the stiff safety. It does mangle brass so I got a port buffer that I need to tweak so it mounts solid (had to cut 2/3 of the bracing off to go around the rail).

Overall, I don't think that is too bad for a amateur with a battle rifle. :mrgreen:

Re: PTR MSG91

Here I was playing a new app on my phone

Re: PTR MSG91

I do like those, let use know how it shoots when you and the rifle are dialed in
    Deliberation is the function of the many; action is the function of one...
    Charles de Gaulle, 1960

Ads