KRG Bolt Lift, review and pics

This is a discussion on KRG Bolt Lift, review and pics within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; As some of you may know, I'm new to the world of long range shooting. I've really appreciated the help I've gotten on this forum ...

KRG Bolt Lift, review and pics

As some of you may know, I'm new to the world of long range shooting. I've really appreciated the help I've gotten on this forum so I thought I'd offer my thoughts on the KRG Bolt Lift. Mind you my opinion is worth little in this area because my experience is limited. (Been a shooter for a long time, but mainly handguns and AR15/M16 experience as a civilian and soldier, No long range experience past the 300 yard qualification).

I have been putting together my Remington SPS tactical, and was really drooling over a tactical bolt knob. But could I send off my new bolt for a few weeks before I even had a chance to shoot it? Could I really justify nearly $100 on getting a tactical bolt knob that certainly wouldn't help my shooting? The answer to these questions at this point in my long range career, a certain NO. I really should be putting this money into ammunition for more range time. But the final question, did I WANT a really cool tactical bolt knob? YES!

Just when I had decided to save all my money on ammunition, I happened upon the KRG bolt lift. For a cost of $30, it could give me the benefits of the the Badger Ordinance bolt knob installation by GAP, but at a fraction of the price. This gave me the best of both worlds, and may be a good option for those interested in a tactical knob, but not wanting to pay the higher price.

The bolt knob by KRG comes highly reviewed from multiple sources online, and its a great, simple idea. The bolt lift is a two piece plastic knob that goes over the factory Remington bolt knob. It uses two o-rings to allow it to hold tightly with different sized bolt knobs Remington has produced over the years, and is held in place with an allen screw. The install took about 3 minutes. I'm very happy with how easy it is to cycle the bolt now. The knob is surprisingly stable for being a one-size-fits-all solution. There is a slight amount of rotation around the bolt handle, but I can't see how that would be a significant issue while using the rifle.

What are your thoughts about this device? I think eventually I may get a badger bolt knob, but its certainly not on the top of the list. Maybe if this one ever breaks I'll get it.

I've included some pics so you guys can see what it is like. You can find them at http://www.kineticresearchgroup.com/ Hopefully this review will be of help to someone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: KRG Bolt Lift, review and pics

I seen these before, good if you have to revert back, hope yur happy with it.

~Reagan
    "There is a very thin line between being Brave and being Stupid.",~R.Reagan

Interesting concept... keep us posted how it holds up

MEL

I prefer a custom-installed knob for various reasons, but there is definitely a place for these and they will be a huge help to our boys in the sandbox who don't have the option of having a custom knob fitted but still can benefit from an oversize knob. Function-wise there's no reason these shouldn't work great, keep us posted.

-matt
    http://www.ordnancesystem.com/
    Ordnance System Designs, Inc.
    Stay tuned for details.

Be worthy of your freedom and of the sacrifice of those who protect it.

For $30 that may be worth a try.
    Actions speak louder than words but not nearly so often.

Quote Originally Posted by doug308
    For $30 that may be worth a try.
    Yup. It's all going to depend on whether it has and keeps a good solid fit or if it is or gets sloppy. At $30 plus SH it won't break the bank and may prove good enough for some.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

I finally took the gun shooting. The bolt lift worked well. One disadvantage is has over a permanent threaded on knob is that its probably 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch shorter, so you don't get quite the easy reach and leverage advantage. I will say that it is a significant improvement over what comes from the factory. If you are looking for a non permanent solution, I'd say it is a good choice.

-Clay

Guys I did some reading up on these things and afer reading virtually no negative reviews I took the plunge and ordered one.

First the service was great. I ordered it on Sunday and got today (Wednesday). The feel of the knob is solid and very meaty. Definitely has some heft. Not at all cheap or plasticky. Mounting it took literally 2 minutes. And that's counting having to tell my kids to quit fighting in the middle of doing it. No range time yet obviously, but it feels great! Certainly an improvement over the factory handle. Fits tight. No wiggle. No conflicts with my scope or with closing the bolt either. I'll post again after taking her to the range. But so far, for $28 I am very pleased.
    Actions speak louder than words but not nearly so often.

Deffinatly cheap enough to give it a try.
    A reporter interviewing a Marine Sniper asked, " What do you feel when you have to shoot a terrorist"? The Marine shrugged his shoulders and replied "Recoil"

Ads