Bullet choices for 1:12 Rifling in .308

This is a discussion on Bullet choices for 1:12 Rifling in .308 within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; First of all what bullet weight range should stabilize properly in this twist rate. I have the following Cartridges that are a bit on the ...

Bullet choices for 1:12 Rifling in .308

First of all what bullet weight range should stabilize properly in this twist rate.
    I have the following Cartridges that are a bit on the heavy side and was wondering if they would shoot accurately. The purpose is elk hunting and the range can go as long as 300 yards
    RWS RAP-X Deep penetration 184 grain
    RWS UNI- Classic 184 grain
    Federal 180 Grain Nosler partition

Re: Bullet choices for 1:12 Rifling in .308

Quote Originally Posted by avolcek
    Slim, it really helps when a question like this is actually researched, as it's been asked here and everywhere else countless times. Use the search function, use google, use something...

But I'm not going to leave you hanging...

I did try to pose the question to both Federal and RWS and both failed to reply. That is the reason I listed the specific ammo types. I have a large stock of the listed ammo types which I used to use out my 1:10 twist Rem 700 withot a problem. Now I am going to a lighter rifle but unfortunately the rifles I like are only available in 1:12 twist.

I think what Adam is getting at is that a little searching would prevent you from having to post the question again - a lot of times, this causes questions to be left unanswered. In your case, I went to Google and searched site:snipercentral.com 1:12 twist stabilize 308. A few relevant links popped up:

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/...ic.php?p=91149

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/...hp?f=4&t=38024

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/...c.php?p=246809
    Let us recollect that peace or war will not always be left to our option; that however moderate or unambitious we may be, we cannot count upon the moderation, or hope to extinguish the ambition of others. - Federalist 34

Short answer for you... Federal Premium 165 grain Game King SPBT (Soft Point Boat Tail). Fantastic hunting ammo and the only thing I use right now (for hunting although never shot an Elk with a .308)... assuming your barrel likes it.

Set your zero for 200 yards. Drop the cross hairs 2" below the backbone and pull the trigger (assuming a flatter shot with reference to elevation). At 100 you'll be 2" high and at 300 you'll be 8" low.

I will claim my ignorance factor straight up front. It's high. But given the wide range of BCs (and thus length), I would try them out. I didn't see 184 gr Uni classics in 308, only 180 gr. Also, which Nosler partition are you talking about? The spitzer or the protected point - they are pretty different in BCs.

Of course your real issue is whether to go with the advice here (find better bullets) or with the answers to your question at 24hourcampground where they seem to think a 1:12 twist will be just fine. :wink:
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Warning: This post is being monitored by our Surveillance State.

Of course your real issue is whether to go with the advice here (find better bullets) or with the answers to your question at 24hourcampground where they seem to think a 1:12 twist will be just fine.

Good research is key. You might also try "mallninjakillers.com" or "zombiedestroyers.net" where those playing on their Xbox's and PSP's are regularly downing targets with 223's at 1000 yards. One shot one kill no less.

When it comes to my own personal experience I'll say this, although I use 30.06 for Elk my 165g silvertip boat tails go darn near through an Elk (four for four one shot one kill) while my buddy shoots 185's and has only picked up one Elk in those four years and it took him all five rounds to knock it down. Albeit he did hit it all 5 times with his semi auto while it was on the run, "good shootin" eh? Lol.........
    Freedom is the sure posession of those courageous enough to fight for it.

I appreciate how you say your max range for Elk is 300 yards and not something like 800. for Elk you want a heavy bullet that has stopping power and preferably one that won't just punch a hole strait through the animal. a 1 in 12 twist is not ideal for heavier bullets, but since you will be shooting at a big elk at relatively close ranges you don't need all of your orunds in one little hole, just enough to keep it in vitals. Look at the corelokt 180 grain bullets, they will do fine to take an elk down.

I have never hunted elk so take this with a grain of salt. A 175 to 180 grain bullets should work fine in a 12 twist 308 .
    Since you have a large big bodied animal on your target list, I would suggest the Nosler 180 grain Accubond. W
    .308 Howa 1500 w/24" heavy varmint barrel
    .223 Howa 1500 w/24" heavy varmint barrel
    Rock River Arms Predator Pursuit upper on a C3 Defence lower
    http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64/Welcome.html

Ads