what are some cheap long range rifles?

This is a discussion on what are some cheap long range rifles? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; hey everyone, what are some of the best rifles for shooting at 1000+ yards for cheap. the price isnt too much of an issue because ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: what are some cheap long range rifles?

what are some cheap long range rifles?

hey everyone, what are some of the best rifles for shooting at 1000+ yards for cheap. the price isnt too much of an issue because i am not looking to buy anything just yet because i am yet to find a range in which i can shoot at long distances, but i was just wondering. i currently have a remington 700 sps varmint in .308 and its awesome and with a nice scope was all under $900 which is extra awesome. I just have not been able to shoot at over 300 yards so it is boring. does anyone have any experience/reviews on the savage arms model 110 BA?

Re: what are some cheap long range rifles?

Unfortunately from what i have seen long range shooting and cheap dont belong in the same sentence. but the heavy barrel Model savage rifles are a pretty good bang for your buck rifle.
    A reporter interviewing a Marine Sniper asked, " What do you feel when you have to shoot a terrorist"? The Marine shrugged his shoulders and replied "Recoil"

Your sps varmint, is capable of shooting out that far. If its. 308 I can't remember now.

Get a quality stock, and scope then start working your way out 50-100a yards at a time.

Record the data, keep a good log book and you then you have info from 0-1000 yards.

I have a buddy with two 338s but he hasn't used them. That's a lot of money to spend only shooting under 1k yards.

That's why he 's currently building a 30-06 for out to 1200~ from a savage or stevens action. Then retire his 338s til we get a longer range built.

Well ones his wifes and she gets what she wants.

Anyways, look around there are a few guts who've done savage stevens builds, good way to go. For a semi custom rifle.
    Joseph "Rhyno"

Cheap and long range really don't get along. If you want to get out to a 1000 yards you are looking to invest some money, not just in a rifle but good optics as well. Expect to pay as much as the gun in optics. I have an sps varmint and with a new stock, hand loads, a good scope, and a good shooter behind it you can go to 1000 yards. Savage makes some nice guns but if you are looking to invest $2300 in a savage rifle you may as well look at some custom long range rifles that will be around the $2900 range and will be a much better rifle in my opinion. Especially if you are considering a .338 lapua your ammo is going to be expensive and won't be cheap by any means. Check out vandykerifles.com for some really nice rifles. Really you have a great gun platform, you can invest $1500 into the gun and probably have a better shooting rifle than the Savage. I don't know too much about their high end tactical rifles. Really when you get a good Kreiger or Shilen barrel, blueprint, true, and square the action, get a good fully bedded stock, switch out the trigger, it will be very accurate at long ranges. Then you will definitely need some better glass. Which will easily cost a $1000. Look into some of the custom rifle offerings from various companies, that's what I would do personally if you are looking at a $2300 savage. But I plan on building my varmint from what it is now. With a new stock that free floats the barrel and hand loads you would be amazed at what the rifle can do. Then when the time is right get it out to a good gunsmith and get work done to the bolt, action and replace he barrel and really you will save some money for your optics

To shoot long range you need 4 things.
    1. a quality rifle, It doesn't have to be some fancy custom but it does need to be a decent stick.
    2. optics with quality glass and repeatable, contestant, durable turrets
    3. consistant ammo
    4 the time, willingness and discipline to learn the craft.

NONE OF THIS IS CHEAP!!
    By the time I stocked my Howa 1500 barreled action then added decent glass I went north of 1000.00. Most folks who can, spend more than that on just the glass.

Then comes good ammo, when you see how expensive ammo with enough consistency for long range shooting is, you see why a lot of us load our own. Now you have just added the cost of loading equipment to the equation.

This is not a cheap hobby. you gotta pay to play.
    .308 Howa 1500 w/24" heavy varmint barrel
    .223 Howa 1500 w/24" heavy varmint barrel
    Rock River Arms Predator Pursuit upper on a C3 Defence lower
    http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64/Welcome.html

Really now that I think of it and reading all 37 pages... Save all your money, don't upgrade your gun at all. Once you have $3500-$4500 call mike at tac ops and get a tac ops rifle. It will be 10000000 times better than that savage. After reading about the tac ops guns I'm not going to bother upgrading my rifle after I receive my new stock, I'm just going to get a tango 51, I kinda wish I didnt get my nightforce scope... I could have put a down payment on the baddest rifle I could ever own heh.

Hahaha true! Well I'm going to cancel my order honestly... First of all I'm assuming it will take at least 6 months to make the rifle. The $1800 plus the left over from my bonus will cover the down payment on a Bravo or Tango and second in 6 months I can just have Mike order and install a NF for me :P. Plus tax returns, I should be in the clear to pay it off. I never really spend anything on myself, I help my parents and sister out a lot. I deserve something expensive

Alex, IMO that is a terrible call. Learn to shoot first.

I'm looking at the minimum shooting the varmint for a year. Going to contact Mike but turn around time for the rifle is probably 12-18 months, plenty of time to shoot plus I started out with a .22 and shot that for a couple years, so I do know how to shoot. I am just new to the .308 and I don't flinch at all. First time out with the .308 I was kind of all over the place, 1.5 MOA at 100 yards. I brought 80 rounds with me... by the end of my session my best group was 1.2 from edge to edge so that group was .892 MOA. That's fine by me for a first time out with a new rifle and a cheap plastic stock. In a year I expect I will be pushing .5 MOA shooting at least every weekend. It's something that's achievable and after a year I will be ready for the Tac Ops. To anyone who says I shouldn't get one I am just going to assume jealousy.

Have not picked up a rifle or any firearm for close to 27 years and started looking for a quality stick but not to expensive. I have to say Mel right here at Sniper Central was a pleasure to deal with answered numerous questions and gave solid advice. He built me a quality stick with his Rem intro package. I consistently put down 1/4 groups or better at 100 and around an inch at 400. When I have my son on the spotting scope can do a little better. These eyes are not what they where 27 years ago.With some more time behind the stick I am sure I will improve on this. Wish the range was longer but 400 will have to do for now. I think all in with quality glass leupold MK4 LR/T 3.5-10 mil-dot it was around 2700. This gun will do just fine out to 1000. Thanks Mel...I am really enjoying the time at the range.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads