Help for a new guy

This is a discussion on Help for a new guy within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; To begin, yes I have read most of the posts regarding the content of my question and yes that was way too much information for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help for a new guy

To begin, yes I have read most of the posts regarding the content of my question and yes that was way too much information for me to process that quick. I am ready to purchase a bigger gun than the .22 I have used to date. I realize there is no true one rifle for all purposes but being a poor college student I am relegated to trying to get as close as I can. So far I have decided on a Remington 700 with a leupold mark 4 scope (8.5-25x50 mil/mil). I could really use some help with choosing a chambering for it. My purpose for the rifle is dual -- long range hunting (at some point sooner than later I hope for North American big game i.e. elk or moose) as well as long range paper punching. I would like to reach out to ~1500 yards for the paper. I do realize that the cartridge will probably not have the energy to be effective for a clean kill at that range. I was originally looking at the .338WM but have gotten somewhat discouraged at that choice after seeing some of the ballistic tables for it. I would like to keep the factory ammo costs lower for now but I do plan on reloading in the future. I have tried to post with as much information as I could but I have also been up for a while so please feel free to ask. I thank those that read it for their time, those that help for their advice, and those that flame for their roasted wieners.

Re: Help for a new guy

For the range you are looking at a .300WM would work, and it will also work very well on elk and moose, However in my experience hunting Elk and moose in Colorado and Canada the only thing long on it is the walking up and down ridges, and most shots are generally taken at less then 300 yards. Also a weapon that can accurately hit out to 1500yds is probably going to weigh too much to take on spot and stalk hunting. My suggestion is you prioritize what you reall want to do, along with realizing that jumping from a .22 to any magnum cartridge is a big difference and may not be condusive to good fundamental shooting.

I love my mk4 scope, but I would highly recommend one with less power. 8.5 times is way too much for a hunting rifle. I have that scope and it almost will not focus at less than 50 yards.
    Rem 700 sps-v .308 in AICS
    Thunderbeast 30P-1
    Waiting on Tac-Ops to be built
    NRA Life-Member

I agree with Hiltonjg. If you want to do a lot of paper punching then, you won't have a rifle that suits all that well for hunting. On the other hand, if you get a rifle made for long range hunting of elk and moose, you won't want to spend hours at the range shooting it. A 300WM will likely have a brake on it to make the recoil more manageable, which will annoy shooters around you if you are shooting a public range.

If paper punching is your bigger goal and you want 1500 yards, then you might consider something in the 6.5 mm class, such as a .260 rem. There are high bc bullets out there to keep you supersonic to that distance and you will savor the easy recoil.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Warning: This post is being monitored by our Surveillance State.

Quote Originally Posted by hiltonjg
    For the range you are looking at a .300WM would work, and it will also work very well on elk and moose, However in my experience hunting Elk and moose in Colorado and Canada the only thing long on it is the walking up and down ridges, and most shots are generally taken at less then 300 yards. Also a weapon that can accurately hit out to 1500yds is probably going to weigh too much to take on spot and stalk hunting. My suggestion is you prioritize what you reall want to do, along with realizing that jumping from a .22 to any magnum cartridge is a big difference and may not be condusive to good fundamental shooting.

.300WM was one of the cartridges I was starting to look more at. Thanks for the advice. I have never gone for the bigger game so advice from those that have is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonR
    I agree with Hiltonjg. If you want to do a lot of paper punching then, you won't have a rifle that suits all that well for hunting. On the other hand, if you get a rifle made for long range hunting of elk and moose, you won't want to spend hours at the range shooting it. A 300WM will likely have a brake on it to make the recoil more manageable, which will annoy shooters around you if you are shooting a public range.

If paper punching is your bigger goal and you want 1500 yards, then you might consider something in the 6.5 mm class, such as a .260 rem. There are high bc bullets out there to keep you supersonic to that distance and you will savor the easy recoil.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
    I am leaning more toward the hunting purpose with this rifle as there are plans for a custom build on down the road once school is finished and a new job is in place (hopefully) to help fund this pursuit. I hope to be able to push 2000+ yards with that one. Recoil doesn't seem to bother me much as I am a larger somewhat larger person and I have fired a friends .50BMG which didn't seem so bad at the time. Thanks for the advice. I will have to look at the 6.5mm class for another rifle later though. I have read a lot of good things regarding it and it does seem like it would be fun to shoot. Seems like rifles are a bit like potato chips, it's hard to just have one...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ddd oo7
    I love my mk4 scope, but I would highly recommend one with less power. 8.5 times is way too much for a hunting rifle. I have that scope and it almost will not focus at less than 50 yards.
    I was concerned with that. Thanks for the advice. I have seen the mini holo sights that attach along side the main scope. Seemed like kind of a gimmick to me at the time but your advice got me thinking if they are any good. Seems like it would bridge the low end of the range and let you use the main scope for the longer distances.

I'd also look at the 6.5's.

I'm planning on making a hunting/target rifle in 6.5 creedmore. Ballistics are similar to 300 win mag. From what I have read. Putting in hornady's 140 amax match load and your looking at around 22mils for 1000 yard drop.

It also carries 900ft lbs of energy out to around 700 yards with their superformance hunting rounds. Which is the minimum in Nebraska for rifle at 100 yards.

6.5's are plenty big for just about anything I. North america, at appropriate ranges.

I'm leaning toward 6.5 creedmore since the factory ammo is there. Though 260 has some offerings, and provides a very minor boost in performance. 6.5 creedmoore is suppose to have better barrel life.

~edit~ fixed some errors.
    Joseph "Rhyno"

Well you are looking at a 7mm/300mag as a minimum and none of them are going to be pleasant to shoot in a hunting weight rifle. If you have not had much experience the recoil of these will worry you, not so much in the field but on the range while you familiarise yourself with trajectory and drift you will fire lots of rounds and here they will beat you up a bit. This is where flinches come from, far more so than field shooting. I would suggest stepping into it a bit, for paper and light/medium game a .264/270 is a good choice but for the bigger critters at range you will want a 7mm mag or bigger and they are not a good place to start out. As for the scope you want a 5-6 power max bottom end and less is more here, you don't need top-end in the field, you buy a scope that gives you the glass you want and the BOTTOM END YOU NEED, any more magnification is a bonus. Happy hunting.

Long range hunting and long range target shooting are too differnt things. If you make a bad shot at the range no problem, make your correction and fire again. If you make a bad shot on a long range hunt, well you have alot bigger problem. In the hills here it can take 20 or more minutes to cover 1000yrds if your shooting across a valley. That is a long head start for a wounded elk. You really need a heavy cal. to make sure you can put down an animal at long range on the first shot.
    If you are new to long range shooting you need to start small and work your way up and learn. This is not somthing you jump in to and get good at in a month or two. It costs a lot of money and time to learn this craft. A 300wm or a 338 to start will cost you more than you think going in, a flinch is hard to get rid of and costly. I'm a big guy too (6'4 250) and I have shot alot of heavy cal. rifles, they will get to you fast at the range. Crawl before you walk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads