Remington 700 84203 Muzzle Brake

This is a discussion on Remington 700 84203 Muzzle Brake within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; :?: I would like to put a muzzle brake on my .308 Remington 700 84203. The barrel comes threaded 5/8x24tpi. Im considering Advanced Armament Corps ...

:?: I would like to put a muzzle brake on my .308 Remington 700 84203. The barrel comes threaded 5/8x24tpi. Im considering Advanced Armament Corps blackout model. I know some will think it's wimpy to consider a brake for a 308. I just want to make this thing as fun and gentle as possible, that will mean more shooting! Anybody use this muzzle brake or know of better candidate for this application Id appreciate hearing about it.

Vigilante

Re: Remington 700 84203 Muzzle Brake

why not look into getting a suppressor? It will accomplish everything a muzzle brake will, plus you will be able to shoot without earplugs.
    Rem 700 sps-v .308 in AICS
    Thunderbeast 30P-1
    Tac Ops Tac 51 .260 on Surgeon action
    NRA Life-Member

If you are looking at muzzle breaks (compensators) then one question you have to answer just how much increase in "noise" are you willing to tolerate.

If you can tolerate the noise there are few better compensators than a SJC Lund compensator. This will pretty much eliminate any muzzle jump.

If that's more than you can tolerate, then Primary Weapon Systems has a very good product. But most people would still classify it somewhere between obnoxious and OUCH.

Bear in mind that most compensators are make for semi-auto rifles. The can be used on bolt guns but typically you don't see them.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

I have a JP enterprises break on my savage 308. An as mentioned above there is a increase in sound over a rifle with no break, but there is no muzzle jump hardley at all.
    A reporter interviewing a Marine Sniper asked, " What do you feel when you have to shoot a terrorist"? The Marine shrugged his shoulders and replied "Recoil"

Thanks for the replies. Id love to put a suppressor on it but I just bought it and ordered scope and mount for $500. I dont know how well it is going to shoot or how much I will like it. In the early 60s I was a rifle range coach at 29 Palms and bought a sporting rifle to shoot 7.62mm NATO as we pretty much had an unlimited supply. I got tired of shooting that ammo with a 7 lb rifle, whereas the M14 could be shot all day with little or no discomfort. My guess is a suppressor would cost around $750 with hardware and feesbut..that is the reason I am considering the AAC unit as it is set up to accept the AAC suppressor. I use plugs and muffs if I need to. The range I use has a roof over the firing line which makes it worse.
    Vigilante

$750 would be very conservative for an entry level suppressor. You will probably be closer to $1000 by the time you get the ATF fees, taxes, and transfer fees paid. If you are short on money, then a brake will work, but like others have said, many people at the range might frown on it due to excess noise.
    Rem 700 sps-v .308 in AICS
    Thunderbeast 30P-1
    Tac Ops Tac 51 .260 on Surgeon action
    NRA Life-Member

I took my .308 to Hart gunsmiths in Nescopeck Pa and they threaded the barrel and installed one of there muzzle brakes. It eliminated all of the hop when shooting off of a hard surface bench with a bi-pod. It works extremely well and I did not notice any increase in noise. It has a nice clean look and the fit and finish is excellent. I also thought the price was very reasonable. $250.00 for the barrel thread and brake installed. Just another option.

You just picked up a hitcher...a prisoner of the white lines on the free way.

Quote Originally Posted by prodoljeber View Post
    Very good and*informative*exchange*..*Thank you!
    STOP BRINGING UP OLD POSTS! Nobody gives a #### that you thought it was informative, keep that to yourself. If you had a serious question regarding the discussion in the thread then that would be fine. Just stop. Thank you, oh by the way, welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by Ravenblack; 08-08-2014 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Profanity - but pretty much what everyone was thinking.
    "You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

"If someone kills you with your own gun, they better have to beat you to death with it because at that point, it should be empty." -Unknown

User prodoljeber given 7 days in the cooler for constant spam like posts.

Hopefully on their return they'll be a little more constructive. If not, y'awl know where to find me...
    - - - A good rifleman understands the importance of the .22LR - - -

Ads