Suppressors .300 winmag ??

This is a discussion on Suppressors .300 winmag ?? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hey guys, Looking at suppressors for a 300wm and wanted to ask your opinion. Hoping to find someone that has used a few of these ...

Suppressors .300 winmag ??

Hey guys,

Looking at suppressors for a 300wm and wanted to ask your opinion. Hoping to find someone that has used a few of these and can talk about the differences in quality. I like the idea of a quick detachable/muzzle brake style so I can swap between rifles but its not completely necessary. Do threaded suppressors offer better accuracy?

Here are the models I'm looking at.

AAC Mk13 (300sd)
    AAC 300 TM
    Titan Ti
    Thunder Beast 30P-1 or 30BA
    TigerShark

This is what its going on: 300wm, Surgeon 1086/r, Krieger #10 1-10 26", Jewel, Manners T2 w/ mini chassis

Thanks for you help!

Re: Suppressors .300 winmag ??

Well I can't speak for the last three choices you mentioned, but I can say that AAC makes some TOP quality products. However, with that being said, I can also tell you that their track history with customer service is very poor. According to most of the independent testing I have read AAC makes some of the most efficient suppressors on the market. And in turn, that makes them one of the quietest. They also have very good quality control so their products fit and finish is top notch. But like I said before, if you ever need service or warranty work done, they are not very good when it comes to general customer service. I have heard stories such as bad communications, no returned calls, long wait times, etc. But on the other hand, how often does anyone ever need to send a suppressor in for work? The choice is yours.

As far as the choice in attachment goes, that is really a question of preference. I have both types (quick detach and threaded) and to tell you the truth they both have pros and cons.

Most (not all) of the quick detach models have problems with carbon build up around the locking mechanism causing it to seize onto the muzzle. Don't get me wrong, it can be removed with some patience, solvent, and some elbow grease, but it is certainly not as easy or quick as what they were meant to be. I have had this problem with both the quarter turn lock style and the ratcheting style. But if you are diligent with cleaning the locking mechanism it won't be as bad. Also, a little grease or anti seize goes a long way. The pros to these types is that they utilize a variety of muzzle breaks or flash hiders for their attachments which will aid you unsuppressed and can easily be fitted to multiple guns. That way you can easily transition between different rifles.

The threaded models tend to be easier to attach and detach from the rifle since carbon build up is not an issue. However, if they are standard threads (not higher quality 3A/3B threads) then they will generally have a larger POI shift from an unsuppressed zero. But there is a lot more that comes into play here as well. For instance barrel harmonics. So what you experience on your particular rifle may be different than the guy sitting in the next bay at the range. But that can also be said about the quick mount version as well.

As far as what type is most accurate, there has been a lot of debate about that. every suppressor out there will affect your POI to some extent. The real question is what model will be most consistent when it shifts? I am not going to pretend that I am an expert at all of this. I am just trying to pass on what I have learned through my own research and experiences. Hope this helps.

I use a SAS Arbiter with the Thread Over Muzzle Brake (TOMB) setup. Thread on setup with a Brake ...

This was the setup I was after and at the time only TB and SAS had it to offer. I liked the SAS brakes better ... hence my choice. I have 4 TOMB(s) ... 2 brakes and 2 hiders ... on 2 bolt guns and 2 semi's ...

Thank you for the info! Tough decision...

I am a ilttle OCD when it comes to cleaning my rifles. I am pretty sure my wife thinks there is something wrong with me because I actually enjoy this part of the sport. so bring on the carbon!

Here is where I am so far. I would buy the AAC Mk13 today if they made a muzzle attachment for a 556 because I really like the 90 teeth ratchet system. I cant imagine it will be very long until they make an attachment for the subcalibers for this model... Thunderbeast's 30BA can be swapped between the 300 and a .556 - but I am not confident yet if this set up has any "play" or rattle. The other option is to go with a threaded model. Specifically the 30P-1, AAC 300-TM and the Tigershark. I have read lots of great reviews on all three. Going this direction I'm concerned with the Thunderbeast 30P-1 because it is specifically designed for a .308 and not a .300. I also have a Krieger #10 barrel and the TigerShark is the heaviest model of the three. These concerns are making me lean towards the lighter, 300wm designed AAC 300-TM. But if I'm going with the AAC I might as well go with the Mk13 just incase they make a subcaliber attachment in the future...

agh. If I had only won megamillion last month I wouldnt have these major problems in my life.

I have not shot all of these different suppressors or even attachment types, but I have a 30-p1 waiting on the ATF right now. I went this route because of the reviews and comments made by those who own and use these and other suppressors. I don't think it would be a great suppressor for dumping several 30rd mags through, but I wanted a lightweight suppressor that would not be detrimental to accuracy. I fully intend to also use this suppressor on my AR until I can get a .556 suppressor as well.

I have chosen to go with the direct screw on because I can't imagine it taking much longer than a quick connect, and I have not heard of near as many problems with this attachment type. Almost every time I hear about loose connections or accuracy issues, it seems to come from a quick connect or a brake connect. If that extra piece is eliminated, then there is one less thing to go wrong.

I am curious as to which suppressor you end up with and which direction you go. Keep us posted.

Also-- don't know if you are a member or not, but there is a wealth of knowledge on this subject in the suppressor section of snipers hide.
    Rem 700 sps-v .308 in AICS
    Thunderbeast 30P-1
    Tac Ops Tac 51 .260 on Surgeon action
    NRA Life-Member

I think I've decide on a threaded can... shooting 300wm

30P-1 - because it is designed for a .308 I feel I might be happier with a 338P ?
    338P - heavy
    Tigershark - heavy
    AAC 300-TM - perfect 300wm suppressor?

I have experience with most suppressors on your list. I think you have narrowed it down nicely, but I would consider the TBAC BA models as they are basically thread on cans. Also the AAC 300-TM is like the TBAC 30P-1 not the TBAC 338P-1. I have heard the 30P-1 on a 300 WM and it does a very good job.

My vote would be on a TBAC 30-BA, I know that Zach and the guys use one on the 300WM they have and compete with one on the other rifles.
    If you can see the big picture, you are not concentrating on your front sight post.

I have a Gemtech Sandstorm waiting on the form 4. I'll let you know how it is when I get it. But its .300 Win-rated and very, very light. Allegedly, very little shift. I'll be running it on my 6.5x47 GAP.
    Kamrad Tylov

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

Ads