.308 VEPR as a DMR

This is a discussion on .308 VEPR as a DMR within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hey guys, new member here. My brother is wondering how the RPK-based VEPR in .308 performs as a DMR. I have no experience with this ...

.308 VEPR as a DMR

Hey guys, new member here.
    My brother is wondering how the RPK-based VEPR in .308 performs as a DMR. I have no experience with this rifle, and was hoping someone out there might be able to share their experiences with it.

Re: .308 VEPR as a DMR

He already has an Arsenal AK-47 in 7.62x39, and really likes the feel and operation of the AK style platform, so there would be less of a learning curve. I have reloading equipment for .308, and would be able to work up loads to fine tune the accuracy. Basically, he wants the power and range of a .308 without the cost of an AR-10 or M1A. Accuracy gained from handloads should roughly make up for lesser inherent accuracy in the rifle. Personally, I agree with you that and M1A or and AR would be better, but he's also on a pretty tight budget. We figured a VEPR might be a low cost solution to the problem, but wanted some insight from some more informed people than random google searches would yield.

As for a PSL, surplus ammo is cheap and plentiful, match grade, not so much. I also dont' have dies for 7.62x54R, so I couldn't make him any match grade ammo if he went that route.

As for intended use, he wants to be able to reach beyond the roughly 300 yard effective range of his current AK, out to maybe 500-600, pretty much what a DMR is meant for. In theory, the VEPR should do this fine, but we all know how much falls by the wayside when theory tries to become practice.

Oh, I understand that handloading isn't a cure-all. I just thought it might be able to bump a rifle of moderate accuracy into a more useful accuracy bracket. I think one of the other reasons he wants to stick with the AK platform is the simplicity and ease of maintenance that it would have when compared to a garand or AR style rifle. The VEPR is also supposedly built a bit tougher than a standard AK, since it's built off an RPK receiver. This should mean greater long-term durability.

As for budget, I'm not sure. Right now he's focused on getting a good bolt rifle, and is pretty set on a Savage 10 precision carbine. The VEPR idea is something he's toying with as a possible future purchase, but he wants to research whether it's what to go with as a DMR. I agree that a VEPR is probably not the best possible rifle for the job, but it's just an idea he asked me to research for him.

As for personal details, I'm a student currently living in Spokane, WA. I have little formal military training, but have picked up a lot from military friends and relatives. I strongly believe that the able-bodied populace comprises the "militia" referenced in the 2nd Amendment, and to that end I strive to be as ready and skilled as possible should the need ever arise. Most of my "training" has been self-taught, from books like Plaster's Ultimate Sniper, various unclassified field manuals, and anything I can glean from forums such as this one. Formal sniper training seems to be difficult for civilians to acquire, so that's about as far as I've gotten.
    My brother lives on the east coast, in Maryland, with the rest of my folks. Philosophically he's on the same page as me, and being the next best shot in the family, is kind of the de facto Designated Marksman of the family group back east. Overall, I'm a lot more gun savvy than he is, so he comes to me with his questions. When I don't know the answers, I turn to forums like this one for professional advice.
    The need for a DMR I think is mostly in my brother's head. Between the bolt rifle he's about to get and the AK he already has, I think he has the spectrum of possible ranges in MD pretty well covered. He just asked about a VEPR, and I had barely heard of them, so I passed the question along.

In my opinion, the AK format is not a precision weapon unless you are "sons of guns".

I understand that he is used to the AK format-- and it will go "bang" under almost any circumstance, but it is not a weapon to be used for long range, precision shooting. It will just make you angry and destroy your confidence as a shooter.
    Rem 700 sps-v .308 in AICS
    Thunderbeast 30P-1
    Waiting on Tac-Ops to be built
    NRA Life-Member

Ads