AR-10 260 Remington

This is a discussion on AR-10 260 Remington within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Have a AR-10 Armalite-22" bbl-SS Bull bbl config.-1:8" twist.Am starting to develope accuracy loads for rifle using 139-142 gr bullets.I have the following powders-4064,4350,4831,RL19 and ...

AR-10 260 Remington

Have a AR-10 Armalite-22" bbl-SS Bull bbl config.-1:8" twist.Am starting to develope accuracy loads for rifle using 139-142 gr bullets.I have the following powders-4064,4350,4831,RL19 and N150. Can anyone suggest a powder that I may try first to test for accuracy.Thanks for help

Re: AR-10 260 Remington

I would start with varget. I know you don't have that powder, but it is hard to beat in my 308. I can't imagine it would be any different in a 260.
    Rem 700 sps-v .308 in AICS
    Thunderbeast 30P-1
    Waiting on Tac-Ops to be built
    NRA Life-Member

Administrator

I can't speak to that EXACTLY...but I do know that with the AR-10/SR25 platforms, you best go pretty easy on the work up and pay VERY close attention to your gas system's interaction with the casings. The slower you go on burn rate, the more likely problems can be when you go too stout on the powder-can tipping.

Also. Please don't post the same thread twice in two different areas on the site...I like gardening, but I hate weeding.

-Nate
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge
    NRA Silhouette AA

Nate-Thanks for info.I usually start with the slower of the powders I am testing and 10% from max. I do look for pressure signs.What do you mean" pay VERY close attention to your gas system's interaction with the casings" Aside from pressure signs or functioning problems-are there some areas that powder speed/velocity cause problems-NOT due to pressure??? I am also guided by group size too.Cheers

Administrator

Yeah, when loading at mag length and working up in powder charge, you'll probably follow the "huge, large, medium, small, small, bigger, large..." group size routine as you push into and then past ideal charge weight.

What I hate to see is people who start high enough (read: they forget that it is a gas gun with an aluminum receiver) that they are already on the high side of what's right when they start working "up".

I've typically found the best way in the AR platform is to start way low, and work up in fairly coarse increments until your casings start coming out clean, or with residue just on the neck and maybe shoulder. At that point, your fired casings should also just pass the bullet-drop test (put a bullet in the fired casing's mouth, and it should pass through if you had an adequate charge).

At THAT safe low-end starting point for your rifle, start your load workup.

When I speak of casings and gas system, I mean that, with slow powders, the highest pressure occurs when the bullet is much further down the barrel than if you were using a faster, more "typical" powder. For the rifle, this means that gas port pressure is likely to be higher, and the force from the pressure starts acting to cam open the bolt before the casing has depressurized from the walls of the chamber.

If done in excess, this can really wreck a good day at the range.

In the old -14 and M1 systems, this was called a bent or broken op-rod. In the AR, it typically manifests anywhere from broken extractors and casings beaten to pieces through rims ripped off and casings torn in two, all the way up to and including blown receivers and barrels. Ask David Tubb...he won a national with an SR25 in .243...but he also blew apart at least 2 rifles to get there.

Go easy, and when you look at fired casings, examine the marks, and try to envision the mechanics of the rifle, and HOW and WHY it made those marks on the case. Shiny spots on the case head, bent rims, yank marks, are all good signs to watch for in addition to the usual primer and web dimensions.

-Nate
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge
    NRA Silhouette AA

The "go to" powders in .260 bolt guns are h4350 and h4381. I would start with h4350. Like Nate says, start low (maybe 40 or 41 gr to start) and go up from there. I've run 140 class bullets as low as 2600 fps in my bolt rifle and had no issues (but my competition load is nearly 2900 fps.). Keep in mind that brass mfg. affects volume and pressure ( I run 1 gr. less in Lapua than Win. 7-08-formed-to-.260 to get the same velocity.)

Not sure what your COAL constraints are, but they may limit ultimate velocity via pressure also.

Varget may or may not work. Although from the same family of cases, the .260 and the .308 are very different critters.

John
    "Those who do not study history are destined to repeat it."

"Pray for me cause I have lost my faith in holy wars... Will I learn what's truly sacred?
    Will I redeem my soul? Will truth set me free?" - Sharon den Adel

Thanks for advice people. I am more experienced with bolt actions.This is my first semi-auto. I prefer extracting the maximun accuracy out of a powder/bullet combination first and then shooting long range targets.The S/A rifle is the Armalite AR-10T/22" SS,heavy bbl,hand lapped three times(according to Armalite).I will be testing the following powders-4064,4350,4831,N150,H-414,and RL-19.Bullets will be 139-142g highest qual brands.Starting with 4064.Goal will be 1/2" at 100 yards.Cheers

I personally have had amazing success with 142 gr SMK and H4831sc. It was explained to me by one of the experts at sierra that the 142's have less bearing surface than the 140 gr bullets and can be pushed faster with less pressure. Good Shooting!

Ads