New Savage Mark II TRR .22.... Tacticool !!

This is a discussion on New Savage Mark II TRR .22.... Tacticool !! within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I found this rifle yesterday at the gun shop. I can't believe they actually had it in stock right there on the shelf. I've searched ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Savage Mark II TRR .22.... Tacticool !!

I found this rifle yesterday at the gun shop. I can't believe they actually had it in stock right there on the shelf. I've searched around a few times and many distributors have been out of stock... So, as soon as I saw, I had to take it away from their hands and bring it home.
    Among other things, it already comes threated for a suppressor. An Alpine can is on the way...

My plan is to shoot the first half of my shooting sessions with the .22 and the second half with the .308. The plan is to use the .22 to improve my technique (for less money).

The reviews I have seen around have been very positive with good things to say about its accuracy, and reliability.

I bought a Nikon P-22 2-7X32 scope for it. The scope comes with target turrets and a reticle with an integrated BDC calibrated for the .22 LR. It's mounted on a set of ARMS rings.

I think I will be shooting tomorrow...will let you know how it goes.

Re: New Savage Mark II TRR .22.... Tacticool !!

I have the non threaded TR and the gun is definitely a shooter. I have more fun with it than with my .308. I've taken it out to 250yds consistently hitting a pie plate sized metal gong.

Bigbuck,
    what brand of ammo has been the most accurate you have tried??

I tried quite a few when I first got it and the best I found was CCI Mini Mag HP 36gr. I didn't try any of the expensive match ammo though. The gun can keep them touching at 100yds if I could. Haven't been out lately to even thinking about improving my shooting .

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/130113 ... llow-point

Administrator

The Mark IIs like Wolf ME/MT, SK Rifle Match, shoot CCI 0035 Standard Velocity pretty well, Eley Target does pretty well...

I'd think the Eley Black would shoot well, as with the Red, but I never wasted any of it in that rifle, to be perfectly frank.

For long-range accuracy, make sure to choose an ammunition that, in your rifle, never breaks the speed of sound. By long range, I mean 100 yards and longer. If it shoots well at 100, then you have an ammo that may shoot well out to 200. Only the very best ammo shoots well at 300...many seem to fall apart at about 225.

If, during the winter, you find your rifle is 'cracking' with ammo that shoots really well and is subsonic in the summer, but doesn't seem to shoot as well in the winter...that's the reason. Wax hardens in the winter, and generates more friction, thus more pressure held back...too, the speed of sound is lower.

-Nate
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge
    NRA Silhouette AA

natdscott,

Why are the supersonic rounds less accurate?

Thanks.

almost any bullet struggles with stability issues when transitioning from supersonic to subsonic. That is the reason we try to keep our centerfire rifles supersonic out to the maximum distance we plan to shoot. Since supersonic is not possible with a 22lr much past 100 yards, then you are better off starting with subsonic rounds. The majority of match grade .22lr is subsonic whether it actually says "subsonic" or not. usually they are around 40 gr. and 1050 fps and if I remember correctly they fall about 42 moa at 300 with 100 yard zero. (add about 7 more for 50 yard zero).

On the other hand, my Winchester 52 at 50' shoots best with supersonic remington target. It will hit centers every time on the 50' small bore targets as long as the indian is capable.
    Rem 700 sps-v .308 in AICS
    Thunderbeast 30P-1
    Tac Ops Tac 51 .260 on Surgeon action
    NRA Life-Member

Thanks ddd 007.

ddd07 do you know how many moa will fall at 200 yards with a 50 yard zero. I know it is 5 moa for me to 100 but you could save me alot of time if you had an amount of moa drop for 200 yards.
    I will say my savage MKII TRR .22lr shoots the centers out at 50 and 100 with cheap federal 36 grain ammo.
    I/ mostly shoot it at 50 and 100 but I have been looking at the 200 yard board...

Thanks
    Tom

Just off the top of my head I was thinking it was 20moa to 200 with 100 yard zero (add 7 for 50 yard zero). That should get you fairly close, but it changes quite a bit depending on all of the different variables (especially ammo). It is so sensitive at 200 and especially 300 yards that it doesn't seem to ever be exactly the same day to day. I would have a lot of respect for a shooter who could consistently hit a milk jug at 300 yards with cold bore shot from a .22 long rifle. Also keep in mind that at that distance, the difference between 300 yards and 295 yards is several inches. If you are actually trying to hunt with it at 300 yards, then you will need dope for about every 5-10 yards instead of every 50 like with the centerfire and you will need a good rangefinder.
    Rem 700 sps-v .308 in AICS
    Thunderbeast 30P-1
    Tac Ops Tac 51 .260 on Surgeon action
    NRA Life-Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads