Muzzle Brake for the Range - Compensator on a Bolt Gun?

This is a discussion on Muzzle Brake for the Range - Compensator on a Bolt Gun? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; So after reading these forums for quite some time, I finally ponied up the cash for a Savage FCP HS Precision. I herd few if ...

Muzzle Brake for the Range - Compensator on a Bolt Gun?

So after reading these forums for quite some time, I finally ponied up the cash for a Savage FCP HS Precision. I herd few if any negative reviews and most told me that it was one of the most accurate .308's to be had for under a grand (most seem to be able to shoot .5MOA out of the box if the shooter is good enough). If certainly nowhere hear that level (my best group is under an inch at 100yards but not by much). My cousin has been able to get around .7MOA out of it and with fine tuned loads and practice, I'm confident that it can shoot .5MOA.

Anyways, I come from the 223 world so the kick is a bit much and I think would be more accurate with less kick. The recoil is not unbearable but after an hour or so, my shoulders start to really bother me (I've had some shoulder problems in the past). I know many will scoff at the idea of a brake on a .308 but I would like to be able to see my hits through the scope and tame the kick a bit.

I have spent some time at the range and believe me, I know that brakes can really annoy the other shooters.

My question is, are there any muzzle brakes that will not annoy the hell out of my neighbors? My range is a bit crowded and there is almost always someone to my right and left. For me, the main requirement is that it has minimal side blast, even at the expense of recoil reduction. As I said, the recoil without the brake is not unbearable but I want to take a bit of the edge of.

My other question involves the use of compensators on bolt guns. I'm looks at compensators like the Battle Comp: http://battlecomp.com/index.php?main_pa ... ducts_id=3

This comp is designed for minimal side blast but I have only seen them on AR's. Is a comp on a bolt gun unheard of? Will it reduce recoil at all on a bolt gun? Can I even install this on a Savage barrel?

Finally, before anyone says anything, I'm in California so supressors are not an option (yes, I know they do everything I'm looking for but CA sucks so it's not possible.)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Muzzle Brake for the Range - Compensator on a Bolt Gun?

Quote Originally Posted by shorty15
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    My first suggestion is to spend a bit more time searching. This exact same question has come up a number of times and there is an extremely lengthy discussion on how a brake works and the relative merits.

Here is a place to start: http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/...&submit=Search
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

Re: Muzzle Brake for the Range - Compensator on a Bolt Gun?

A forward linear compensator directs all blast down range and dosnt kick up near as much dust. However it does not remove any recoil, it only controles it. The forward linear compensator i have tried kept my barrel on target and all the recoil was directed strait back. It almost seams like it kicks more, but it is all strait back so it helps in other areas. I guess a recoil pad or shooting shoulder could help you in that department.
    Also experement with loads. Their is a huge difrence between the recoil on a 180 gr recoil and a 147 for instance.
    THE ANSWER IS HERE

You are not Prepared.

Ads