Savage 10/110 .300 Win Mag

This is a discussion on Savage 10/110 .300 Win Mag within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I have been looking (ok more like... salivating) at a Savage Model 10/110 HS Precision in .300 Win Mag I was wondering in any of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Savage 10/110 .300 Win Mag

I have been looking (ok more like... salivating) at a Savage Model 10/110 HS Precision in .300 Win Mag
    I was wondering in any of you guys had one and what you thought of it.
    What you like/dislike... other similar options for the same $$$$ ??

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by avolcek View Post
    While the .300WM is a good cartridge, and the HSP stock is excellent, I can't quite get over the belted case...that and it would be a requirement for me to replace the bottom metal to use AICS mags and not the crap Savage mags.

Further more, what does the .300WM do that another cartridge can't do. Just a question on exactly why the .300WM to add to your collection.
    Yeah, yeah....I know it's true. The old .300 Winnie has the dumb belt and is antiquated, but I love that cartridge.

Adam, you are absolutely right. There are other cartridges that will do the same thing the .300 win mag will do, some even better.
    I owned a Rugger 77 and a Rem 700 Sendero in the past, and I really liked the flat shooting, power, and accuracy this cartridge delivered. After I sold the Sendero I really regretted it (I needed the money at the time).
    There are a couple of dead Oregon Elk somewhere out there thanks to the Rugger rifle, and a cheap bushnell 3-9 scope !! :-)
    So, I've wanted another .300 for a long time....and now that I am enjoying the fun fun fun of long range shooting, I thought I would consider owning one again.
    I think it's almost more of a "want" than a "need". To be honest, given the ranges I frequent, there is nothing my .308 wont do better and cheaper. Most of the time, a 500 yards range, sometimes, on given occasions, up to 1000 yards...
    (im not saying I can hit much past 600 yards, anyways... :-)
    Now, one great point that you brought up and I didnt think about....were the cheap Savage magazines instead of AICS magazines. This on its own is almost a deal breaker...
    Like Cheaptrick said...I just love the cartridge.

The Savage 110 HS Precision is a nice rifle. The stocks are top notch in my opinion, i have a couple and love them. Waiting on some extra money to Get another HS stock for my .300 WM. It made my day when they started making this stock to fit a long action. If you don't like the stock mags, i guarantee you can sell the stock bottom metal and mags real easy. Then go to accurate mag and get there bottom metal and mags. The AI mags also work in accurate mags bottom metal. Do not think you will be disappointed in the .300 WM, Winchester Brass, H1000 powder and either 175grn. 190, SMK's or 178 grn or 208 grn. Amax's work great.......Danny

PDM....I still have the reloading dies for the .300 win mag....
    I got decent, well under an inch, groups with the Sendero back a few years ago with the 190 SMK and H1000.

Adam, the rifle/scope plus redoing the action, new barrel and gunsmith will kill my budget. One reason why this particular rifle caught my eye
    was that it already came with the HSP stock at a competitive price.

My Sako M75 shot most all 180gr. pills wonderfully using IMR 4350. Lot of friends eifles liked RL 22, but my Sako didn't.

"I can't quite get over the belted case..." I keep hearing this type of thing but if you reload I can't understand why?

Quote Originally Posted by bluezx14 View Post
    "I can't quite get over the belted case..." I keep hearing this type of thing but if you reload I can't understand why?
    I don't understand.
    If you reload, the belt becomes more of an issue than if you just buy factory ammo. Would you elaborate on your aforementioned statement, Sir?

The belt only headspaces on factory ammo or if you don't set your dies up properly. On your brass's first firing it headspaces on the belt (unless you force it not to but I won't get into that here) after that it will headspace on the datum line of the shoulder as per any normal rimless case if you choose for it to do so. The belief that the belt induces an excessive headspace like condition is in my opinion false, the belt is superfluous in most circumstances though it has some small pluses as well as some small negatives the reality is it is mostly neither here nor there. From max SAAMI factory barrels to turned-neck BR barrels I haven't seen a belted case as a make or break thing, not even of significant consideration (though it can be for wild-cating). If anyone has any compelling arguments why a belt is a major advantage/disadvantage in a standard chambering I would like to hear them.

Ahhhhhhhh, interesting. Man, I did not know all this !! So, if I buy let's say a box of factory ammo...
    I will need to shoot all the rounds, basically getting the right headspace formed, and then when I reload my fired brass, I will already have the right head spacing??
    Is this correct??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads