Savage 110 FCP vs Savage 110 BA

This is a discussion on Savage 110 FCP vs Savage 110 BA within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Greetings all, long time occasional reader; first time poster. I will jump to the chase.... I saw a Savage 110 BA 338 LM in my ...

Greetings all, long time occasional reader; first time poster.

I will jump to the chase....

I saw a Savage 110 BA 338 LM in my local Cabelas in the gun library and I started to do research on it. From what I have found across the inter-tubes is that it's been kind of a hit or miss; mostly miss. However, it seems that some of the new are better than the old. I have been reading the posts and there are quite a few recent topics about the 110 BA that I am still getting caught up on. It would seem that I should expect a bit of fettling.

The used 110 BA is long gone, but I am told that there are a few around in inventory at other stores. They do have a 110 FCP with the HP precision stock. For $700 less, it is an interesting option as I already have my black tacticool black guns. I have not seen as many postings about the FCP variant weather good nor bad. I am assuming they are pretty much the same rifle with different stocks and all of the shooting issues really seem to be related to the stocks (with the exception of Sully).

So does anyone have a comparison?

Now on to the long story....

Anyway, I know Sully is going to ask what my purpose and intentions are....

I live in Northern IL and I really do not have a decent range to shoot at with the exception of a few hangun joints. The only outdoor long gun range in 50 miles is limited to 200yds; but they have 1 (ONE) lane that is supposed to be set up for 50BMG and that is at 300yds. I do get out west once in a great while to South Dakota for deer/antelope hunts (and occasional prairie dogs), and then to TX every now and then for deer and pigs. I have considered getting into competitive shooting, but now is not the time.

I KNOW I should be looking at a .308 to satisfy my long range Antelope and Prairie dog fixation, Even a .223 would do. And I HAVE been looking at the Sniper Central guns. I have a Savage 100 7mmRM with a sportster stock and barrel that I can routinely hit out to 250 yards.

Why 338 LM??? Again, I live in Northern IL and the state congress is working up their "Assault Weapons" ban. On the table are over a 1000 banned makes and models (including the Saiga-12 I just picked up) and certain calibers.... 338 LM is on that list (along with 50 Cal.... Yes, just anything 50 cal which would make my muzzle loader illegal.) So basically my true intention is to buy it with the hopes that I can get it grandfathered in. I know there are better, more serious 338 LM rifles out there....

I don't want to debate the reasons I have to validate my purchase, but yea, not only do they want to ban large calibers, they want to ban just about anything that is magazine fed... So goodbye to the trusty old 10/22 as well.

Cost of ammo is not much of a factor... At the rate I shoot lately it's probably less than 50 rounds a year for long rifles. I can reload. I can pretty much get the .308 whenever I am ready.

moving is definitely on the agenda.... Just that little thing called a job! Not a lot of employers are willing to deal with relocating these days... Even if I were paying all the expenses.

Oh, and thank you for the comparison....

I have also been looking at this one....
    Cabela's: Savage® Arms Tactical Rifle – Choate? Stock

If your wanting a 338LM and you want to get in cheap go with the 110FCP with the HS stock stay away from the BA. I'm not going to quibble it's your money. How often will you be shooting it? If not a lot then it's the way to go. If you are going to shoot 300+ rounds/yr.... build a custom. If it were me I'd build a 7WSM much cheaper and PLENTY of range and enjoyable to shoot, The 338LM is wasting your money though if you are shooting 1200yds and less. Believe me when I say this because I mean it... IF you decide to go with the Lapua...I hope you get a good one!
    Sully

Quote Originally Posted by avolcek View Post
    That Cabelas rifle isn't a bad one. But if you are going .308...spend another $100 and get the HS-P one, or spend a bit more and get the McMillan one. Much better stocks with those two.
    I'm not sure I am on the same page regarding the .308's... The HSP is over $1200 and the McMillan is is almost $1500.

Cabelas does not price those options, so I guess I am not comparing them correctly.

I've been thinking about it more, but I have not made any moves yet....

After clearing my head a bit, O'm probably not going to go with the 338LM... I have actually gone full circle and looking that the .308 again and probably one of the Sniper Central builds, one of the lower end Savages listed above, or even the Remington tactical. All decent guns at a budget, but I will probably want to make improvements eventually and I hate throwing things away.... Which brings me back to custom building...

I have just come around and figured out what I really want to do.... Other than be ready for zombies or an all out anarchy situation, that I really want to do is go to the range every so often and pop holes in paper targets at 200 yds... Maybe once a year go out west and pop a few antelope and 300 yds or so.

I'm not not sold on the .308. I dont know why, it just seems that the .308 does a lot of things well, but is just not great... I have a 7mm RM that I use for deer.... Great gun, flat trajectory out to 250 yds. I have heard that 30-06 is and old stand by, 300WM seems interesting, a few people have told me about various short magnums (not sure the difference other than a short action.)

Anyway, just thinking out loud, but I appreciate the input.

I love my .308 HS precision Savage. It's no .338, but it shot just as well as couple $5000 .338's at 850 yards last weekend.

I understand that you want something that may be banned in the future which is why my first gun as a Cali resident was an AR. But do you really see yourself trying to drop large game at 1000+ yards?

I was thinking the .338 HS precision too. But I could shoot like 3x more ammo for the price, and I simply didn't need a .338.

My buddies I shoot long range with who all got .338 Lapuas and/or .338 Edge all had me convinced for a while that if I wanted to shoot 1000yds with them I had to "go big or go home".

Well when I showed up with the .308 they were giving me crap, when I nailed the 4"x4" gong at 850 they took it back.

1000yds really wasn't a problem for me with the .308 and I'm hardly an experienced shooter.

I agree with Avolcek, get something to meet your needs and don't burn your money.

Several want to get a 338LM or a big rig and not use it @ it's intended range. They rush out to get the " BIG" calibers so they can say they have it and then shoot them at such ranges ... 1000 and under, waste money on powder,primers and bullets but have to to save face because they realize they've wasted money but can't admit it to their buddies, with so many 338LM being sold today wait just a while you are going to see allot more of them for sale, especially with the shortages going on and we will see them for a good while to come, they will use this as the opportunity to get the brick off their back.
    Sully

Quote Originally Posted by ARCAPSlock View Post
    I understand that you want something that may be banned in the future which is why my first gun as a Cali resident was an AR. But do you really see yourself trying to drop large game at 1000+ yards?
    For S.D. Antelope, 300 yds is about average; maybe a bit more. They have good eyes, ears, noses, and they're fast. So their tactic is to herd in wide open areas where they can sense the approach of a predator form a good distance. You can usually walk up to 300 yards or so before they start getting skittish. Elk can be a good distance too, but I worry about impact energy at longer ranges, then again, ny Elk opportunities are few and far in between.

I am again looking at the Sniper Central packages.... They both look like decent shooters out of the box.

Ads