Best stock for custom rifle

This is a discussion on Best stock for custom rifle within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I need an opinion about stocks for a rifle build. I have a 700 police in 338 lapua mag. The rifle comes with the hs ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best stock for custom rifle

I need an opinion about stocks for a rifle build. I have a 700 police in 338 lapua mag. The rifle comes with the hs precision stock. I want to upgrade to a b&c meadilist or a mcmillan a5. The only problem i have with the mcmillan is that it doesnt have full leanght alunimum bedding, would that hurt accuracy or is it still stiff enough even when using a bipod?

In my opinion, the b&c would not be an upgrade. McMillan or manners is the way to go.

There are three basic levels of stocks.
    1. Factory stocks and equivalent. They don't have aluminum blocks and are so flexible they are not very accurate.

2. Aluminum bedded stocks. These include hs precision, b&c, and choate. These are stiff stocks and much better than factory.

3. Very high quality non aluminum bedded stocks. These include manners and McMillan. These are intended to be bedded with devcon or similar and allow for the most accuracy of any of the stocks.
    Rem 700 sps-v .308 in AICS
    Thunderbeast 30P-1
    Waiting on Tac-Ops to be built
    NRA Life-Member

Before deciding on a brand, you need to decide on a style. Adjustable or not, regular or vertical handgrip, forend shape, weight, etc...
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

Alright that info will help me when deciding on the best stock. Im going to check into the different styles also. Thanks.

Administrator
    B&C Medalist stocks are NOT an upgrade from HS Precision.

McMillan, Accuracy International, Manners, or one of a host of small shop laminate makers like Alex Sitman.

THOSE are upgrades.

-Nate
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge
    NRA Silhouette AA

XRA
    I suggest a McMillan A5 Adj.. Pricey? Yes- Worth the wait, Yes- Need to be bedded Yes. I have several suppliers I work with if you can't find one sooner than 4 months. Happy Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by natdscott View Post

McMillan, Accuracy International, Manners, or one of a host of small shop laminate makers like Alex Sitman.

THOSE are upgrades.

-Nate
    Nate said it very well. I am curious however what exactly don't you like about your HS Precision stock? I ask because if you know what you don't like it will give you a better idea of what features to look for with a new stock. The main difference on the stock on my M24 and the stock on your PSS is the ability to adjust for length of pull, other than that they are almost identical. I actually like the stock. I wish it had an adjustible comb, but there are several options you can add to take care of that ranging from foam and duct tape like I use on my issue rifle, to a stock pack, Karstens cheek rest or the installation of a KMW Loggerhead. HSP offers different options as well. I don't think you will find much of an improvement in accuracy in the rifle itself simply by changing from a HSP stock to a MCM, AI or Manners stock, but you may find one that is more comfortable that fits you better and therefore you shoot the rifle better. While there are certainly better stocks available, the PSS stock is a good all around stock that is reasonable priced. I would try to get behind a few stocks and see what you like before you decide to change.
    What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.
    - William Shakespeare

The hs precision stock isnt bad. Im wanting a higher comb and The shape of the pistol grip. I dont have experience with stock hooks (a5) but being styled for sand bags i think that would be a good feature. Like you said i could modify the hs precision stock also.

Quote Originally Posted by natdscott View Post

Actually, I found that it is, at least on my rifle. I replaced the OEM HS Prec. Stock on my Remington 5R with a B&C 2094 "A-5" style. I don't know about previous B&C's but this one is as rigid as can be. Came complete with Anschutz style rail in the forend, an adjustable comb/cheek piece, and adjustable Buttstock, LOP, Cant, and Drop. All these were "ala carte" with the McMillan.

For me it's been a great "Upgrade" and the total price was half that of those you named.

Maybe I just got an "extra good one".

Alright i have a question about the mcmillan stocks compared to other brands with full length aluninum bedding blocks. Do i need a full lenght block if its going to be glass bedded anyway. Is the fiberglass on a mcm strong enough to support a bipod?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads