Newbie Questions re Stock Selection - Page 2

Newbie Questions re Stock Selection

This is a discussion on Newbie Questions re Stock Selection within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Thicker, stronger, deeper into the stock, tapered ones are also available which makes the action easier to remove from the stock. It seems that anyone ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thicker, stronger, deeper into the stock, tapered ones are also available which makes the action easier to remove from the stock. It seems that anyone who makes gun parts makes an "improved" recoil lug for the Rem 700. Any material removed from the front of the receiver during truing will move the lug aft, necessitating rebedding the lug area.
    Last edited by desert ghost; 04-02-2013 at 12:13 AM.
    It takes 47 muscles to scowl, and only 17 to smile. Proper trigger squeeze takes 3. Relax, and go with it.

So truing a receiver during a tune-up should include replacement of the lug - very good. And then of necessity, the portion of the original bedding around that area will have to be removed and the new lug re-bedded - makes sense. That doesn't sound like a problem for me to do so I'll continue with plan A. Thanks to both of you for that info.

BTW, Adam - I've looked more closely at the Surgeon BDM modification. You're right - the price really isn't that much out of line with the other higher end units and there are several aspects of it's design that look (at least on paper) very attractive so it's become my choice. I was curious though - it comes with it's own bedding pillars. Manners offers installed pillars on their stocks, so the question arises - is a pillar a pillar - no matter which one is used - or is it preferable to use the ones that come with the Surgeon unit? If so, I guess I could specify that Manners either install them or precision drill the holes so that I could insert them when I do the bedding?

I had planned to deal directly with Manners - I talked to them (Matt?) in general terms a few days ago and got the impression that they would be willing to "hold my hand" through this process. So if I understand correctly, the "inlet" from Manners for a Surgeon BDM would include drilling holes for the Surgeon pillars which I can then insert into the holes during the bedding process? I think you also answered another question I was formulating - do the pillars free float in the bedded action or are they secured in place with bedding material?

One option that I completely ignored was that of an AICS stock. Some obvious advantages - immediately available, no bedding (DIY or pro) required and no additional purchase of a DBM unit. So two new questions:

1) How does the AICS compare to traditional fiberglass stocks in general and specifically in terms of ergonomics, perceived recoil, adaptability to accessories and most important, ultimate accuracy of the rifle/stock unit?

2) Are there any disadvantages other than the non-traditional appearance.

I love the AICS stock-- but some hate how it feels. It is heavy, so it really helps control the recoil. If you want a good quality stock that is fully adjustable and has DBM, then the AICS 1.5 is about your cheapest quality option. You can get that stock ready to go with a 5 round mag for less than $900. As far as accuracy, many custom builders use them without bedding them.

Are Manners and McMillan more accurate? A properly bedded (not mini-chassis) manners or McMillian will have a slight edge over the AICS as far as accuracy. You can also choose the shape of the stock you want as well as the bottom metal-- but they are pricey. I paid right at $1000 for my manners including most available options and then it was another $325 for the surgeon bottom metal. If you went with a non-adjustable no-frills manners you could get one for about $600 but with bottom metal it would still be more than the AICS.

The AICS is also available in the AX format or with pistol-grip victor skins to go on to it. both add to the price, but they are good options.

BTW-- the non-traditional appearance is not a disadvantage. lol. guess it depends what you are looking for.
    Desert Tech SRS with TS 308 conversion
    TacOps Tac 51 .260 on Surgeon action
    NRA Life-Member

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by daved View Post
    I had planned to deal directly with Manners - I talked to them (Matt?) in general terms a few days ago and got the impression that they would be willing to "hold my hand" through this process. So if I understand correctly, the "inlet" from Manners for a Surgeon BDM would include drilling holes for the Surgeon pillars which I can then insert into the holes during the bedding process? I think you also answered another question I was formulating - do the pillars free float in the bedded action or are they secured in place with bedding material?
    The pillars need to be bedded in with epoxy. You can buy the stock without pillars, with pillars on the side, or with pillars already bedded into the stock. I ordered mine on the side to allow the smith to install them the way he wanted. The holes in the stock will fit the pillars that come with the stock, but are too small for the pillars that come with the surgeon DBM. I am not sure which pillars my smith will use. I sent both sets and am going to let him choose. If you are going to attempt to bed the stock yourself, I would use the surgeon pillars as they are precisely set for that DBM. You will need to drill the holes bigger and bed the pillars in the stock precisely in the right place. I am pretty handy with tools and building, but this is not something I wanted to try to do myself. Stocks are too expensive to start messing them up. I might would try if I had a cheaper stock. If you intend to have a smith bed the stock, then I would find out what he wants before you order the stock.
    NRA Life-Member

Hidden Content

For me the main advantage of going with an AICS was avoiding the wait for a custom made Manners. However, the AICS doesn't seem to be as "readily available" as I expected. All the major sources I've checked are backordered so the options are to wait an unknown period of time them to become available or go with a known 16 week wait for the Manners, which was my first choice. Hum-m-m-m, (picture deep thought) - Manners it is!

The more I learn about bedding the more complex it seems to become rather than the reverse! The videos and articles re pillar bedding seem straightforward even to using headless bolts or the actual bottom metal screws to properly locate the pillars. But if that's more difficult than it looks, I may have to consider having a pro do it. I had also thought about using my new original STS Tactical AAC Hogue stock as a trial - floating the barrel and bedding the action to give me a little experience - and confidence - prior to attempting it on my
    custom stock. The only drawback I can see would be that I wouldn't be able to sell it later, and the plus side is that I might have a more accurate rifle to shoot while awaiting the Manners.

Wow Adam! That should be stuck to the top!
    NRA Life-Member

Hidden Content

Adam, many thanks - that has to be the most clear and concise procedure for bedding that I've seen in my hours of searching forums, internet, you tube, etc. One question though - you say to leave the pillars alone and to remove material around them. Do you mean for their full length so they are sitting in an oversized hole prior to bedding (much like the custom stock will be) or just for 1/4" or so allowing them to retain their position but become incorporated partially into the epoxy?

OK, Adam you have to make this post a sticky! I have not been much of a DIY person but you take so much confusion out of your explanations,.

Sully

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Ads