Newbie Questions re Stock Selection - Page 3

Newbie Questions re Stock Selection

This is a discussion on Newbie Questions re Stock Selection within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Thanks, Adam - you're quite the artist with words! It is a pillar bedded stock (pillars seem to just be inserted into the same diameter ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks, Adam - you're quite the artist with words! It is a pillar bedded stock (pillars seem to just be inserted into the same diameter holes) and I have a clear picture of what needs to be done.

I hesitate to ask - TMI can be confusing - but you mentioned that the procedure for bedding pillars differed slightly from the one you so nicely outlined. How does it differ?

Whoa - if the Super Mod would have a "pro" bed his custom Manners stock, why is a rank Newbie even considering it:?:

I'm still up to doing the upgrade on the Hogue - after I've bedded the base, mounted the scope and installed the Jewell trigger, broken in the barrel (next week) and done a little pleasure shooting - but I seriously have to reconsider doing anything to the custom stock. I too want the job done right and it takes a pro to get that result, that's what it takes!

Another question - perhaps best in its own thread - adjustable vs fixed comb. My primary competitive shooting for the last 10 - 12 years has been shotgun, specifically Olympic Trap. Gun fit is critical in this discipline since the eye is the "rear sight", so my initial impulse was to get the T4A with adjustable comb. As I thought about it though, and considered the additional 1.5# and cost of this option, I wondered if it's really necessary for a weapon which is being set up for one person with one optic. So the specific questions are:

Is an adjustable comb an advantage on a weapon that will primarily be shot from a bench or prone by one person?

Are there situations in which a comb would be adjusted in the field or is it pretty much set it and forget it?

Is "drop at the comb" important in precision rifle for operator comfort, accuracy or any other reason?

Again, thanks to all for their input!!

Adjustable comb is very handy. It is the same principle as the shotgun. You want your cheek to hit the same place on the stock every time. This can be done with a stock pack, but is much easier with an adjustable stock. I have a t4 on my .22 and a t4a on my custom that is being built. The t4 is not bad, but does not fit as well as the adjustable.

Also, if you put the Jewell trigger in the hogue (or any other) stock, be sure that it has the clearance before bolting it down. It is slightly larger than the factory trigger. You might need to do some Dremel work.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 barrel
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Thanks, guys - I much prefer to have an integrated adjustable comb to the add-ons, so the T4A gets the nod.

ddd oo7: Thanks for the heads up on the Jewell/Hogue. I'll be tackling that today.

Now that basic configuration of the stock has been settled, I've run into some questions about the various hardware doodads. My inexperienced assessment follows. I'd appreciate any comments or critique---

Though I probably won't use a sling for transport often, it seems reasonable to have attachment points for one. The flush cups seem more convenient than the conventional studs, and the non-rotating version seem more practical than the rotating version.

I also would like to have the option to use a sling for position shooting, and ideally that should be on the right side (for a R handed shooter) so that it comes under the fore-end hand (which it can't do if attached to the L sided transport cups). So an additional R fore-end flush cup seems necessary.

I'd like to use an Atlas bipod and possibly a rear monopod so rails front and rear seem desirable for these attachments. Are conventional studs desirable in addition to the rails and is there any reason to have rails longer that required to mount the -pods?

Any other options I should consider?

Thanks,

Dave
    Accuracy International AT/Gradous 308, 6.5CM
    Beanland/Bighorn 6.5 Creedmoor

Thanks again, Adam, for all your suggestions! Now the wait begins---

What bottom metal did you get the stock in letter for?
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

I specified the Surgeon DBM, and also went with the 90% carbon fiber option to offset some of the additional weight of the adjustable comb. In view of our earlier discussion about DIY pillar bedding, my current plans are to have the install of the DBM and bedding done by a pro rather than attempt it myself.

That will be a great stock. Mine is a T4A, two cups left, surgeon bottom metal, carbon fiber, atlas front rail, and no studs. It is molded in OD green, but Mike at Tac-Ops is going to epoxy and paint it before it comes back. You will like the stock.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

How is a recoil lug upgraded? Different position, wider, longer, deeper?
    I think you should have to try to watch this one. This might help you on your questions.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Ads