Newbie Questions re Stock Selection

This is a discussion on Newbie Questions re Stock Selection within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; In previous posts I've solicited input into the selection of a rifle and optics for precision/tactical shooting to 600 yds. In large part due to ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

In previous posts I've solicited input into the selection of a rifle and optics for precision/tactical shooting to 600 yds. In large part due to advice from forum members, I now have a 308 Rem 700 SPS AAC_SD (unable to find a 5R), Nightforce 3.5-15x50 F1 NXS scope and Jewell trigger awaiting assembly (no hurry - there seems to be no 308 ammo or components available!).

The original stock clearly needs to be replaced to achieve the full potential of the rest of the components, and am considering B&C, HS, Manners, McMillan. The recent thread on stock comparison has been quite helpful but I have some specific (and some very basic) questions regarding the selection of a stock.

Are any or all or none of the above brands simple drop-in or do they require fitting, bedding, etc? If a 5R becomes available, will I be able to simply switch out the barreled action of the SPS for the 5R?

Does an aluminum bedding block eliminate the need for glass bedding?

For my specific action/barrel is there one brand or model that is more suitable than others?

Is the thumbhole design individual preference or is there an inherent advantage?

Thanks for the past advice and in advance for more on this topic---

Dave

The ones with bedding blocks will be drop in fit for the most part. You might have to do a little Dremel work for the Jewell. The glass bedded rifles are more accurate, but you should not notice a difference with a factory barreled action. Manners also has the mini chassis with or without dbm which is an aluminum bedded stock. They are pricey, but really great stocks.

Stock shape is matter of preference. My AICS is a thumb hole and I really like it, but I liked the manners t4 better than their t5 thumb hole.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 barrel
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

I looked at several descriptions/videos for bedding info - it looks straightforward and within the capability of someone with reasonable manual and problem solving skills. Are there any hidden pitfalls? Is there any preferred brand of material for bedding (I'm sending in a Midway order today so I may as well get the bedding stuff now)?

Good point re 5R, Adam. I've been hesitant about doing too much to the SPS because of the possibility that I would be replacing it but action tuning/blueprint and barrel change will allow me to just upgrade the SPS to get the advantages of the 5R.

Unfortunately I don't have the option of trying out stocks. I've handled some McMillans at the SHOT Show but that's the sum total of my experience. I haven't heard of Manners until they were mentioned in another thread - they're attractive because they are similar to the McMillan and available in some configurations without the 5 month wait. I generally liked the A3 McMillan - any thoughts on what would be the closest Manners to this model?

Another thought - if I go for a DBM modification, will this complicate my DIY stock fitting?

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Re the comments on DBM - so the stock I would get from Manners etc, would then have to be inletted? I assume this would be by someone that knew what he was doing, i.e., not me.

Since I'm not exactly certain what a mill is or where I would find one, that excludes me!! So I'll leave that to the stock maker.

Aside from the necessary stock inletting, is the DBM modification as simple as changing out the bottom metal? Does this change adversely affect the rigidity of the action?

CDI and Seekins both use the AI mags - any real differences in the two?

The Surgeon looks impressive - as is the price, over twice as much as the M5 Stealth and other competitors. Is there that much difference in quality?

I confused about the M5 Stealth - Stocky info suggests it is their proprietary unit but the PTG looks exactly alike - are they the same or different manufacturers of a mil spec generic unit?

There also seems to be a basic difference in designs - flush mount (Badger) and and "funnel" as in Stocky/PTG and Surgeon. Personal preference or any advantage of one over the other?

I also noted on the Manners order page that you can specify any one of several different bottom metals so that avoids my having to learn any new tricks involving milling machines.

Going back to the answer to one of my original questions, a Manners (which I'm leaning toward) should be glass bedded before shooting. My plan was to get a stock, glass bed the action, start shooting, then determine how well the action and barrel (700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD) performed before deciding whether to have any truing/blueprinting/barrel upgrade done. If I decide to have that type of work done, will I be able to simply drop the new barrel and tuned action back into the same bedding?

Not really. If you do any kind of receiver facing, it will change the position of the recoil lug. Most people would upgrade the recoil lug anyway at this point, since it is already apart. Not a big deal to grind out the bedding material in the recoil lug area and re-do the bedding anyway.
    It takes 47 muscles to scowl, and only 17 to smile. Proper trigger squeeze takes 3. Relax, and go with it.

Adam, we must be reading the same posts at the same time!
    It takes 47 muscles to scowl, and only 17 to smile. Proper trigger squeeze takes 3. Relax, and go with it.

How is a recoil lug upgraded? Different position, wider, longer, deeper?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ads