Remington 700 AAC-SD w/ 16.5 barrel

This is a discussion on Remington 700 AAC-SD w/ 16.5 barrel within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I can't believe it but I found one and had too have it. I am now the proud owner of a AAC-SD in .308 with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remington 700 AAC-SD w/ 16.5 barrel

I can't believe it but I found one and had too have it. I am now the proud owner of a AAC-SD in .308 with a 16.5 barrel. I'll get some pics up soon. Anyone know anything about having a short barrel my dealer said on a .308 the higher the twist and shorter the barrel the better.
    Marines invade and go home, the Army occupies.

Will the short barrel hurt me in long range shots?

What exactly did your dealer claim would be the benefit in having a 16.5" barrel?
    You just picked up a hitcher...a prisoner of the white lines on the free way.

The shorter the barrel the better? On a .308? Sorry, that logic escapes me. Right over my head. Did not pass GO. Did not collect $200.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

that short of a barrel will hurt velocities some, but you should still be fine out to 600-700 yards and maybe farther. Powder and bullet choice are going to be very important with that short of a barrel. You will want a new stock and a trigger soon as both of those are very lacking on the aac and tactical models.

I wouldn't mind a 16.5" threaded barrel for hunting suppressed, but I don't hunt much farther than 300 yards if that.
    Rem 700 sps-v .308 in AICS
    Thunderbeast 30P-1
    Waiting on Tac-Ops to be built
    NRA Life-Member

Quote Originally Posted by ddd oo7 View Post
    that short of a barrel will hurt velocities some, but you should still be fine out to 600-700 yards and maybe farther. Powder and bullet choice are going to be very important with that short of a barrel. You will want a new stock and a trigger soon as both of those are very lacking on the aac and tactical models.

I wouldn't mind a 16.5" threaded barrel for hunting suppressed, but I don't hunt much farther than 300 yards if that.
    Well my dealer said the tighter the twist and a short barrel are supposed too be good on a .308 I don't shoot much over 500 yards though anyway but its still a nice gun the stock I will probably replace BC there is vertically no cheek weld and the barrel I want too find a replacement 20 inch in a 1:10 twist

are you sure its a 16.5 bbl? all the .308 s I have seen have a 20 in bbl threaded. the 16.5s that I have seen were all in .300 blackout not .308, just wondering.
    ediy, should note that the ones I refer to are theaac sd of which I have one my bad.
    Last edited by marvin_lr30; 04-05-2013 at 03:56 PM.

The fast twist is good for long range. A short (as in 20") is ok. 16.5" in my opinion is too short for much past 700 yards. If most of what you shoot is less than 500, then keep it and enjoy it. It should be a stiff barrel which should help accuracy.

The 16.5" version of the 308 were a dealer exclusive (though not sure which dealer). I thought he was wrong to and it took some looking, but I did find them (not on rem's site though).

Btw. That rifle is ideal for shooting suppressed. You ought to go ahead and start the paperwork on a thunderbeast 30P-1. That combination would make a short, light, quiet setup and with the 1:10 it would be moderately capable of sub sonic rounds. If you need help with the class 3 process, shoot me a pm.
    Thunderbeast 30P-1
    NRA Life-Member

Quote Originally Posted by ddd oo7 View Post
    The fast twist is good for long range. A short (as in 20") is ok. 16.5" in my opinion is too short for much past 700 yards. If most of what you shoot is less than 500, then keep it and enjoy it. It should be a stiff barrel which should help accuracy.

The 16.5" version of the 308 were a dealer exclusive (though not sure which dealer). I thought he was wrong to and it took some looking, but I did find them (not on rem's site though).

Btw. That rifle is ideal for shooting suppressed. You ought to go ahead and start the paperwork on a thunderbeast 30P-1. That combination would make a short, light, quiet setup and with the 1:10 it would be moderately capable of sub sonic rounds. If you need help with the class 3 process, shoot me a pm.
    Well For what I'll be using it for the barrel is fine not crazy about it but for being able to find the AAC at all I'll live with it for now. I am going too re stock it and free float the barrel so Ill probably change too a twenty inch barrel then. Can I fint the 1:10 twist though? Haven't looked yet. Anyway I am thinking about the class 3 paperwork. So far though I am happy with my purchase, the action feels crisp and its very easy too handle. How are the blackouts?

Restock is as simple as two bolts. You can order a stock and change it yourself. A barrel change must be done by a gunsmith and will cost about 5-600. No need to rebarrel. Just shoot it.
    Thunderbeast 30P-1
    NRA Life-Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads