Review and VIDEO. Barrett M82A1 50BMG with EoTech Optics

This is a discussion on Review and VIDEO. Barrett M82A1 50BMG with EoTech Optics within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I have never seen a thread on this optics/rifle combination, so I thought I would share my experience. Rifle Make: Barrett Rifle Model: M82A1 Cartridge: ...

Review and VIDEO. Barrett M82A1 50BMG with EoTech Optics

I have never seen a thread on this optics/rifle combination, so I thought I would share my experience.

Rifle Make: Barrett
    Rifle Model: M82A1
    Cartridge: 50 BMG
    Optics: EoTech 552.XR500 Holographic Sight with a Eotech G33 (3x) Magnifier

It is my understanding that this EoTech Holographic sight is the same one the US Navy uses on their Barrett 50cal when firing from helicopters and ship-decks. I like the fact that it has bullet drop markings for 1000m, 1500m, 2000m calibrated using Military Ball 50BMG. I got this optics setup, because I needed optics NOW and can't yet afford a $3800 Schmidt and Bender PMII scope combined with a BORS system (another $1800 or so). I figure this will still work well for vehicle sized targets out to 1000m or a little more and human sized targets out to 500m, especially when coupled with the 3x magnifier. Also it is a good setup for quick aquisition for short-medium range targets. You might hit something long range too.

VIDEO: http://youtu.be/W_pyduWJvRY

This was my first time firing the Barrett. It was a dream to shoot. No bruise and no soreness after 40 rounds. My first 2 groups weren't even on the paper (not shown in the video), but once I was on the paper it didn't take long to dial it in to the center of the target. It was sighted in at 100m. The monopod was very helpful and would recommend one if you get this rifle. It was surprisingly easy to clean afterwards, but note that the factory cleaning instructions lack high detail. Most of the complexity is in the bolt carrier assembly. Also, when it says to use a take-down pin to depress the decocker mechanism on the BCG, use it! I couldn't get it to depress, because I was pressing in the wrong spot, so I used my finger instead. BIG MISTAKE. Some other part of the bolt carrier slammed on my finger nail with the full power the firing pin uses to hit primers with. OUCH! My nail is bent in where it hit. On the upper hand I figured out which part to depress.

The holo & magnifier are a great combo, however they were tricky to configure. In order to get the magnifier close enough to the eye to see through it you have to have it as far back on the rail as it will go and you have to fold the factory rear sight BACKWARDS instead of its normal FORWARD stowage position. You also have to reverse the magnifier folding base so it folds left instead of right, otherwise the quick detach lever will be obstructed by the factory rear sight and the base won't mount to the far rear. The magnifier folds to the left instead of the right even though I'm a right handed shooter, but at no point did it ever come close to hitting my face when folded. There was still ample room unless you pussy handle the firearm.

I was hitting about 1.5moa at 100m. Could probably do better, but this was my first time ever with a 50BMG and I think the optics has its limits. Even though the optics is limited for extreme long range, especially human sized targets, I'm adamant that it would be perfect for anti-material use.

Any questions or comments please chime in. Don't forget to thumbs up my video!
    Last edited by Jelly; 10-01-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Ads