Long range target shooting caliber

This is a discussion on Long range target shooting caliber within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Not even close, 500 yard energy: 7mm mag = 1772 ft/lbs, .338 Lapua = 2996 ft/bs, Hornady factory loads on both....

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Long range target shooting caliber

Not even close, 500 yard energy: 7mm mag = 1772 ft/lbs, .338 Lapua = 2996 ft/bs, Hornady factory loads on both.

Quote Originally Posted by elk sniper View Post
    Not even close, 500 yard energy: 7mm mag = 1772 ft/lbs, .338 Lapua = 2996 ft/bs, Hornady factory loads on both.
    That's what I figured. The 7mm RUM is also hard on barrels. How is the 338 LM on barrels? I have read 300 and 338 RUM is easier on the barrels.

Comparing a 308 to almost any magnum is like apples to oranges. The 308 is a wonderfully accurate round, great on paper and metal gongs out to 1,000 yards. Even as a military sniper round it is great. A man vs high powered rifle, rifle wins, hands down. Kill the head and the body dies. Man has lost its survival instict in the evolutionary process.

We killed a bull elk once that had a .338 bullet rolled up under the hide that had been there for at least 8 hours. It had been shot at dawn with a 340 weatherby and we killed it in the early afternoon.

As far as barrel life, IMO, any magnum round will have less than half the life of a 308. I have heard several people on this forum compare barrels to tires on you car....drive or shoot it enough, you will replace the tires/barrel. I think it is a great analogy.

Kenny

Yeah, they are easier on barrels because the elmer fudd types that shoot them barely put a box through them per year. lol

It goes like this...

6.5CM - Great for shorter distances, next to no recoil, not enough snuff to hammer stuff down past 600yds.
    7WSM - Modern cartridge, will work over deer and elk to 800-900.
    338LM - The definition of a long range hunting cartridge. Lethal on anything in north america with a heartbeat to 1500yds.

Conditions determine effective distance of any cartridge, but stopping power is certainly a determining factor in choosing a cartridge for long range hunting. Killing things at distance
    GMinor likes this.

XRA
    Hornady is making some very fine 7mm Rem Mag factory ammo. 1:9 twist on a good barrel.....25 MOA Google up the superformance ammo Hornady makes. Otherwise I say 300 WM Flame suit on. As a follow up, the BC of the 338LM in 300 gr are hard to beat. Just my .02

I actually still like the old 300wm with the new high bc bullets like the bergers or 208 Amax.

If it weren't for that stupid rim.
    Joseph "Rhyno"

Banned
    I would love to have a .338 LM....

It would almost be cheating at the LR matches here in San Diego with our pretty calm winds..

Long distance kills in my part of the Country mean long distance "haul-outs".

If I were to go back to hunting my idea of a "perfect shot" would be an uphill shot of 200 yards or so with the animal then rolling down the hill, stopping just behind my truck. Of course I'd be the legal distance from the road and all that when taking the shot That would make a .308 just perfect.

338 lapua mag or a weatherby accumark in a 338-378, I have had a lapua, but for some reason didn't care for it,awesome round though.now I have the 338-378 and with the accubrake,it kicks like a 30-06,and very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Orkan View Post
    Yeah, they are easier on barrels because the elmer fudd types that shoot them barely put a box through them per year. lol

It goes like this...

6.5CM - Great for shorter distances, next to no recoil, not enough snuff to hammer stuff down past 600yds.
    7WSM - Modern cartridge, will work over deer and elk to 800-900.
    338LM - The definition of a long range hunting cartridge. Lethal on anything in north america with a heartbeat to 1500yds.

Conditions determine effective distance of any cartridge, but stopping power is certainly a determining factor in choosing a cartridge for long range hunting. Killing things at distance
    Couldn't agree more with you and I shoot all of these and I'll have to say my 7WSM is my favorite pushing the 180's

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Ads