Long range target shooting caliber

This is a discussion on Long range target shooting caliber within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Good Sunday afternoon, friends. I primarily shoot .308 for target out to 300-400 yards. I reload all of my cartridges. I am fortunate to have ...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Long range target shooting caliber

Good Sunday afternoon, friends. I primarily shoot .308 for target out to 300-400 yards. I reload all of my cartridges. I am fortunate to have some very good rifle ranges nearby, including one which pushes out to 800 yards. The .308 just doesn't perform consistently for me past 500 yards. That said, I am considering buying a 30 caliber magnum. Besides target shooting, I also plan to use the gun for hunting elk, bighorn sheep, moose and bear. I was originally considering a .300 RUM or .300 Weatherby Magnum - leaning towards the RUM. Now I am also considering the .338 RUM. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Noirot
    Clarksville, TN

If your .308 isn't performing consistently for you consistently past 500 yards, I wouldn't be looking for a new rifle or caliber, I would be looking at the shooter...

I regularly run my .308 out to 890 yards, and occasionally to 1000, and performance is always consistent.

Maybe another round of load development is in order for you and your .308.

Use a bullet that is up to the task, either a good 155 (sierra # 2156, or Lapua sencar), or go up to the 175 SMK (if the twist in your barrel is at least 1-12).

Try Varget powder, or 4064, or even CFE223. Try good primers, either Federal match primers or CCI BR's.

The .308 is a good caliber for target shooting out to 1000 yards, even at sea level, with high pressure, low humidity, a low temp.

So in short. Before you jump into a new rifle, make sure YOU and your ammo is not your problem, otherwise, you will have the same results with another caliber/rifle.

If it is for hunting AND target shooting, well, your are going to have to give and take to get what you want. Hunting rifle to me is light weight, target rifle to me is HEAVY, can't have your cake and eat it too.

But for all said game above, ANY of those calibers would work well, 300 Weatherby mag would be legit, but I would go .338 Lapua Magnum and not look back...

GMinor - Let me correct my post a bit. The .308 is fine out to 500 plus yards. I shoot Nosler Custom Competition HPBT 168 gr bullets over IMR 4895 with Winchester large rifle primers. The bullet and recipe is fantastic. While the .308 WIN is fine for sheep, mule deer and whitetails, it is not sufficient, IMHO, for longer range shots on elk and bear. Additionally, I am looking for a caliber that shoots flatter and is a bit less susceptible to minor crosswind, etc. That is why I'm considering a 30 caliber magnum.

300 Win Mag is an old tried and true round. Availability of brass and knowing it will be around for years to come is a plus. While the RUMs are great rounds, Remington has had a long reputation of introducing great rounds only to have them die on the vine. 8mm Rem. Mag is a great example. Ever hear of the 350 Remington Magnum? Most people have not. It was a short action .35 caliber that was a cool round. Go to the library and check out some old reloading manuals and look at all the Remington calibers you have never heard of. I agree with G in regards to the .338 caliber. Although the RUM and Lapua are nearly identical, with the RUM even out performing in some books, the brass life is not nearly as good and the fact that it is a established military round will insure it will be around for a while.

I agree with you regarding the .308 as a longer range hunting round, I shoot 300 Win Mag for that very reason, 190-210 gr bullets.

Kenny

Flat shooting=7mm Rem Mag.

Ballistically, the 300 Wby Magnum is close to the 300 RUM. While a belted cartridge, it is very established with good longevity and excellent cases. Perhaps that's the way to go?

I don't like belted cases. A RUM is obviously a boss for long range killing, however, recoil is certainly there.

A 7WSM with 162Amax is a killer. Way flat trajectory, great in the wind.

If you want the ultimate for 1000yd killing power, you'll need to look into the 338LM or bigger (allen mag, edge, or edge +p) I've shot quite a few deer at distance with 338LM with the furthest being 945yds. Does them right in.

Orkan - I have read a lot about the 338 Lapua Magnum. The only reason I haven't considered it is the cost of the rifle. How is the recoil of the 338 LM vs the 338 RUM and 300 RUM?

Quote Originally Posted by airdale View Post
    Flat shooting=7mm Rem Mag.
    How is the terminal performance of 7mm RM vs a 338 RUM - or even the 300 RUM?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Ads