Ruger No. 1 in .223

This is a discussion on Ruger No. 1 in .223 within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I am tinkering with an idea of building a single shot precision instrument. Having never owned a single shot, but find their place in history ...

Ruger No. 1 in .223

I am tinkering with an idea of building a single shot precision instrument.

Having never owned a single shot, but find their place in history to be one of richness and elegance I've begun to ponder a Ruger No. 1 in .223. This is perhaps one of the finest looking rifles ever built in my humblel opinion.

Being a .223 55 grain ballistic tip fan, I thought this would satisfy my itch while creating something for the gawkers when it is slipped from its case.

The basis for my approach will be a Ruger No. 1V, blued. This is the heavy barrel option, or Varminter model. The rifle weight is approximately 9 lbs.

Does anyone have any knowledge for match grade adjustable trigger kits for this rifle? I'd like something I could fine tune down to my preferred 3lbs of pull. I ask because the ones I've seen from the factory all develope creep after a 100 rounds or so.

For optics I already have a Super Sniper in 10x42 to mount. So this will not be a field rifle that I would take hunting unless it was a dedicated stand or hide style of application.

If anyone with Sniper Central has one of these or has experience with a Ruger No. 1 your input and knowledge is greatly appreciated.

My goal is simple. Pure elegance by envoking the true spirit of one shot, one kill.

I saw this lonely topic and couldn't help but post. Personally, I believe putting a rugged and basic scope like a Super Sniper ontop of Mark 1 would be some sort of crime. Large express style frames as on that rifle were originally used for safari or other large game hunts, and would generally only have iron sights. If you want a cool single shot pursue a nice falling or rolling block, amazing how few people at the range know what they are these days lol. And if you really want to tickle them pursue a Schuetzen, while no one would chamber one in .223 you could hand load (32-40 Win. ,8.15x46R,etc.), giving you one of the most unique single shot combinations available. Good luck! Cheers!
    "All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
    Sir Winston Churchill

Ive been doing a ton of research on them and it takes some doing to get the accuracy I want from one.

Still pondering it.

I saw a post on the single shot association forums that had one with a long tube Unertyl on it and man that looked nice.

If I don't do it, back to my Howa 1500 Varmint idea.

LOL

Ads