Shooting with a sling

This is a discussion on Shooting with a sling within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Thanks NastyNate. That is roughly how I imagined it. Thing is, I don't have any problems holding a rifle like that without the sling. I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

re

Thanks NastyNate. That is roughly how I imagined it.

Thing is, I don't have any problems holding a rifle like that without the sling. I guess every little helps though, and will give it a try when I can.
    "20,000 men, who strewed the ground in heaps and swathes. . ." ~ Lt Churchill, after the first use of the Maxim machinegun, 1898.
    "War, which used to be cruel and magnificent, has become cruel and squalid." ~ Churchill, on the H Bomb, 1952.

Yimmy,

Being looped up in a sling takes the muscle tension out of your bicep. That's an advantage for all positons that have your support elbow/upper arm resting on something, such as prone, kneeling, and sitting.

It doesn't really help as much for the standing position. There still won't be any muscle tension in your bicep but you will notice some in the frontal deltoid that wasn't there in one of the supported positions. It might help in the standing if your body configuration is such that you can lean back and rest your elbow on your hip. Then your deltoid and bicep both should be relaxed. Not everybody seems to be able to achieve this. I'm pretty steady sitting and can't shoot for squat standing!

So you would wrap that loop around your arm the same way if shooting from a seated position? Or another way?

same way. But you still have to good muscle/bone support. And be sure to relax your body so you get a good natural point of aim. Probably more than you needed to know, but you know....

NastyNate is bang on. Bone needs to support bone. If you use your muscles they natually fatigue, so you rest your elbow bone on another bone. You should never have to muscle your rifle onto target, as it should be pointing at the target natually because of your position...and slung tight, the rifle doesn't feel as heavy, and it can't move as much.

For these kinda sling uses though, you really see where a free floated barrel is handly, because otherwise it will change POI
    I am dyslexia of Borg, futility is resistant, your &#* will be laminated.

The People's Moderator!

Also don't be worried if you arm goes to sleep. We used to call it shooter's palsy. That just means you have a nice tight sling that's able to do its job well. And the sling needs to be high up on your arm as well. Above the bicep, right where the shoulder muscle and the bicep meet.

If you're using the sling for competetion you can also spray yourself with adhesive. that way once you get into position you're stuck there. A little overboard??? yes, but it works.

Plus, it gives you something to sniff while your blatting.
    "20,000 men, who strewed the ground in heaps and swathes. . ." ~ Lt Churchill, after the first use of the Maxim machinegun, 1898.
    "War, which used to be cruel and magnificent, has become cruel and squalid." ~ Churchill, on the H Bomb, 1952.

I did a little more research on the topic.

From what I've seen, the comp sling type of hold uses just the front sling swivel while the hasty sling position pulls the sling tight enough that both front and rear sling swivels get used. For a rookie like me it would seem like the hasty way is better for this reason.

When I shoot prone, I rest the magazine on the ground.

I do this because it gives the rifle a mono-pod in effect, making it steadier, and because if you were in a firefight you will be trying to get yourself as close to the ground as possible.
    There are plenty of reasons against it also, from contaminating the magazine with dirt to unsteady ground causing a disturbance to the position during recoil... but I think thats mostly crap.

Would it be okay to use a sling support, and rest the rifles magazine on the ground?

Depends on the rules. If you can, then I would go for it. Every little bit of extra stability/support works. You can always clean magazines later.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ads