how to make action smoother?

This is a discussion on how to make action smoother? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I've searched here, I've searched google. I'm apparently not searching for the right stuff. The action on my new 700 SPS .308 is really rough, ...

how to make action smoother?

I've searched here, I've searched google. I'm apparently not searching for the right stuff. The action on my new 700 SPS .308 is really rough, besides opening and closing it a million times, what can I do to smooth it out?
    Eric - Wanna Be Long Range Shooter
    Rem 700 SS 5R Milspec .308 w/Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm
    Rem 700 SCBB2 .308 w/Burris Fullfield 2 Tactical 6.5-20x50mm

I've searched here, I've searched google. I'm apparently not searching for the right stuff. The action on my new 700 SPS .308 is really rough, besides opening and closing it a million times, what can I do to smooth it out?
    What exactly do you mean ?

I have an idea maybe you should remove the bolt from the gun and then remove the firing pin assembly. Clean the threads on the rear bolt shroud with some solvent and then inside of the bolt body. When you are finished take an air compressor and blow any excesses debris and then lube the threads with some white Teflon , this should help your problem. If you have any other questions or comments feel free to give me a call 310-275-8797

Monday - Sun 11:00 am till 11:00 pm

Michael Rescigno
    Tactical Operations
    "Every Great Warrior deserves a Great Death"

smoothing out action

I have used a product called Mil-Comm TW-25B PTFE. It has a alcohol and teflon base and comes in a spray bottle. When sprayed onto a metal surface alcohol evaps and PTFE ( teflon) penetrates into the metal makes
    action very smooth, also will not attract dust or dirt. It leaves a protective coating that helps prevent corrosion. Check out Mil-Comm site they have other products as well, this one sells for about $25.

Sorry, I'm new to the bolt action rifle game (well to the gun game in general). By action, I mean bolt. When opening and closing the bolt to chamber a round (or just opening and closing it without a round) it is not very smooth. Can actually be somewhat difficult to open the bolt without grasping the bolt handle with fingers and thumb, instead of just being able to smoothly open it by pushing it up with the fingers from the firing position. From videos I've seen, most people can cycle the bolt with ease with just their index and middle fingers without having to actually grip the bolt handle with their thumbs as well.

Sorry if this doesn't make any sense, but I know what I'm talking about in my head.
    Eric - Wanna Be Long Range Shooter
    Rem 700 SS 5R Milspec .308 w/Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm
    Rem 700 SCBB2 .308 w/Burris Fullfield 2 Tactical 6.5-20x50mm

My Savage 10FP was hard to cycle when I first got it. I just sat down one night and worked the action about a million times(about 20 minutes) and it got MUCH SMOOTHER. This worked for me, and it didnt cost me anything but 20 minutes and a tired hand. If I were you, I would try this, if it dosent work, then try something else. Good luck. Just my $.02
    Boonedock

Ads