Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Stocky's Stocks

4K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  ptaylortx 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a Rem 700 Tactical 20" heavy barrel .308 with the Hogue stock that came from the factory. I have been looking on Stocks Stocks web page and see they have several Rem 700 stocks on sale that I can afford. The problem is I'm not sure which one would be best. I am between the 700 P style or the M40 with the raised monte carlo cheek piece. I have a Bushnell 10x tactical scope mounted on my rifle. Also for the same price they have the vertical grip Medalist 2. Any input would be really appreciated as to the pros/cons of each.

#2 ·
The Tactical Medalist Mk2 is a very good stock. The vertical grip makes a world of difference in my shooting. I was worried about cheek weld when I bought mine, but it was perfect, as was the LOP...YMMV.

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Shooting

#4 ·
I am between the 700 P style or the M40 with the raised monte carlo cheek piece. I have a Bushnell 10x tactical scope mounted on my rifle. Also for the same price they have the vertical grip Medalist 2. Any input would be really appreciated as to the pros/cons of each.
Whichever one you decide on, if you find cheek weld is an issue, you might consider one of these:

https://www.stockysstocks.com/accessories/cheekrests/karsten-adjustable-cheekrest.html

I put a B&C Tactical Medalist Style 3 (with Hook) and it need some comb assistance (a higher cheek weld) so I installed one of the Karsten adjustable cheekrests and haven't looked back.

#6 ·
I have the Medalist type 2 on my 700 (.308) and it has been a shooter from the start. Dropped right in no probs.

Also a note on Stocky's. I have heard a couple of folks say they have had a bad experience with them, but mine was quite the opposite. I inadvertantly ordered a long action instead of the short. I called and explained my mistake. I had a return label the next day and a new stock (the right one) by the end of the week.

#8 ·
Check Redhawk Rifles too. They have a good selection, and sometimes beat Stocky's on price. Great service, call-backs, advice, and fast shipping.

JeffWard

#12 ·
It might be if you plan on a lot of off-hand shooting but from bag rests or on a bipod wide forearms aren't usually an issue. Personally I kind of like a wider forearm when "sling" or "off-hand" shooting. Fits my hand better than the skinny ones. I prefer to grip the stock and not have my hand wrap around to touch the barrel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.