AR-15 lower and AR-10 upper interchangeability question...

This is a discussion on AR-15 lower and AR-10 upper interchangeability question... within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hello everyone. I have a question... but first some background: For about a year I've been considering getting an AR-15. I've done much research and ...

AR-15 lower and AR-10 upper interchangeability question...

Hello everyone. I have a question... but first some background:

For about a year I've been considering getting an AR-15. I've done much research and comparison shopping and think I have narrowed my choice down to a RRA Standard A4 flattop 20" barrel, Wylde chamber, etc.... This rifle would be for longer range target shooting and maybe competitions (I'm not a hunter). Plus, I have the black rifle disease and just gotta have one! :shock: All this was fine for a while, since I was looking into a 5.56/.223 platform....

But after talking with a few people who own them (and sunsequently re-considering my choice) I'm thinking maybe it would be better to get something like an AR-10 (basically the same as a -15, but chambered for .308 Win)...

My idea (tell me if it'll work or not, or if it's a bad idea, please): I want to focus first on getting the lower. Probably a standard AR-15 A2 buttstock w/ NM trigger group. Once I have that, I could get whatever upper I want (20", 16", etc) and slap it on. Then I thought maybe I should get an AR-10 upper instead, for the .308 caliber. So, I'd have the lower first, then when I could afford it, and decide on the caliber, I could get the upper.

My question: Will an AR-10 .308 Win upper fit onto an AR-15 lower without any problems? Is the .308 Win upper compatible on a basic AR-15 lower?? Can a .308 mag fit into an AR-15 (.223) receiver? My overall question is compatibility between the .223 and .308 AR platforms.

Thanks for any insight. Sorry for the newbie question, but a sniper rifle newbie is what I am. :wink:
    Dave
    Co-Founder & Moderator
    Delaware Open Carry

They are not interchangeable. Some of the lower internals are the same for both the 15 and the 10, but the lower and upper receivers are completely different.

John

Two seperate rifles as JRP3 states, sorry. If you want both you'll need at least two seperate lowers and uppers.

Hmm, bummer. I was hoping the lower receiver would be compatible, but since the calibers are different... well, it doesn't surprise me that there's no compatibility and interchangability. A guy can dream, right? ops:

Well, thank you for the clarification guys.

I thought for the longest time that I wanted an AR-15 .223/5.56 caliber... but since I've noticed that the .308 is the sniper's caliber choice, and many rifles state a range of 800-1000m, now I'm thinking of swinging toward an AR-10.

On a side question: which caliber of AR would you prefer, and why? Or would you steer away from the AR platform for .308 and go with something more along the lines of what's pictured in the upper left of the forum?

Thanks for your responses.
    Dave
    Co-Founder & Moderator
    Delaware Open Carry

Dave(I miss DE btw, went to school at UofD),

I have an AR15 in 5.56 and I just picked up an FN PBR in 308. PERSONALLY (and, that's all this is really going to be, is a personal pref decision), I've always wanted a bolt action .308 "sniper/tactical/whatever" rifle. My AR15 is set up for CQB so at the moment I really don't shoot at distance (though I'll be running it out to 100 yds this weekend). That being said, I love the AR15 platform in 5.56. I have my CQB rifle, and when I save up the money I'll pick up another upper for it set up for precision shooting. Then I'll have a .308 for long range stuff (up to and past 1K), an AR15 for mid range stuff (up to around 5-600+) and an AR15 for CQB.

I've never shot an AR10, nothing at all wrong with them and they are accurate as hell for a gas gun from what I understand. Really depends on what it is you are looking for, ya know?

Good luck with your decision.

Kaz
    For target, either one can work. 308 has a lot more info and you will get there and farther a little quicker. It is less affected by wind as well. You get into hangups with 5.56 and .223, since they're not identical, and the wrong chamber/ammo combo will give you problems. The Wylde chamber, to my understanding, is to give more consistent performance without being very picky about which round you're feeding it. I don't think it will maximize accuracy with either since it's not the proper dimention for either. 5.56 or .223 has plenty of accuracy potential though and is a little cheaper I think, once you get a good thing going. But I'd prefer a 308 if I really want good accuracy without much hassle.
    Those that wear shirts saying "been there, done that" typically haven't been anywhere or done anything.

Speak softly and carry a big stick -TR

What? Me, worry? -Alfred E Newman

M4 SOPMOD: Like barbie for men

The Magazine wel for a 308 AR-15 is bigger then the magazine well in a 5.56 AR-15. It will not work. However, you can get a 6.5 Grendel to fit in the 5.56 lower, and it beats the snot out of the 308 at longer ranges. Just a thought. However, you will need to re-load for the 6.5 as the round is not very plentiful, and Alexander arms charges a pancreas and left testicle for the ammunition.
    The two most abundant elements in the world are Hydrogen, and stupidity...

AR-10 is about 50% larger magazine, the AR-10 and AR-15 are NOT compatible, the AR-10 is considerably bigger in any way

Kaz
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_850
    the AR-10 is considerably bigger in any way
    Except maybe popularity :wink: , but it's gaining quick ain't it? Look at the "Best semi-auto sniper rifle" thread, it's even being preferred over the M14 by a couple guys and seems to at least as popular as that.
    Those that wear shirts saying "been there, done that" typically haven't been anywhere or done anything.

Speak softly and carry a big stick -TR

What? Me, worry? -Alfred E Newman

M4 SOPMOD: Like barbie for men

Ads