Savage 110E ??? tell me about it

This is a discussion on Savage 110E ??? tell me about it within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; my dad bought this gun several years back. it had a bad scope on it that drew blood on me twice lol. and it was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Savage 110E ??? tell me about it

my dad bought this gun several years back. it had a bad scope on it that drew blood on me twice lol. and it was heavy as crap so we dropped the wood stock for an aftermarket polymer one. sounds like from what ive been reading that that helps a ton. i havent fired the weapon since the new scope and the new stock went on it. tell me whatcha know about this weapon since i cant find alot of info about it. i would like to use it for urban sniping. i will be taking swat courses soon and then sniper school after that. i woul dliek to setup this weapon to use if at all possible. i would like to have a heavy barrel put on it, but yall lemme knwo what i would need to do to get it up to par. i will not be offended as i am new to the sport but not new to shooting

Henry

blazinlowv8 on aim

Youll learn evrything you need to know about 'urban sniping' from the SWAT team and sniper school. You should ask them about it if your sole intent is 'urban sniping'.

It sound like you have something good to work with. Savage makes a good rifle that can be built on. And you have the right idea on the setup for it. The only part you might want to think about if it is going to used for urban sniping you have to consider the over penetration factor(7mm Rem Mag packs some punch). Then again if you use the correct ammo/load for what you are doing it should be alright.
    Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you.

Sum dominus fati: sed sum princeps meae.

thats exactly what i was thinking was the issue with overpenetration. i was wondering how easily these could be converted.

Henry

and you have to have a rifle setup for long range shooting when you go to the school, they do not provide one. it will be used for long range shooting as well, i would just like to start with a rifle that i already have

Henry,
    I've owned a Savage 110E in .30-06 for over 20yrs, and it's been my primary hunting rifle for that time. They're extremely accurate for a sporter weight rifle, and I've never failed to make heart shots on deer out to 300-350 yds. Because of the light, sporter weight it DOES kick like a mule! ( You think it's heavy now, wait till you put a heavy barrel on it!) This is my FAVORITE rifle, and because it's my favorite I had it turned into a long-range rig.
    My advice to you would be to keep it as it is, since you've already spent the money for an aftermarket stock. The stock would have to be changed again, as it won't fit a heavy barrel that you'll need for long range. Since everything on the rifle will be scrapped except the action, and you're builder can pick up a Stevens action for about $200( The Stevens action is a exact replacement for the old, pre-AccuTrigger Savage, built by Savage). So turning what you have into a long-range rig will be losing money on your part. I regret going the route I did with mine. Talk to mlammers here on this site, he builds some awesome Savages, at a great price.
    Since the Savage 110 is a long action, you can pretty much forget it for urban sniping. And your local dept ( when, and if, they hire you) may not allow personal firearms as duty weapons. If you want to be a SWAT sniper, take the classes, go to school, get hired on. Until then, have yourself a long-range rig built by a reputable gunsmith and PRACTICE!!!( paper targets only!) :wink:
    RIP 27 February, 2014

We greatly appreciated the years of your life you spent with all of us. Sleep well, brother.

lol yeah thats the plan is getting the rig setup for practice. but again as i said you have to have a rifle setup to go through the class. im fine with it being heavier,, the reason is because it was being used as a reg hunting weapon.

Re: Savage 110E ??? tell me about it

Quote Originally Posted by 97ss150
    i would like to use it for urban sniping. i will be taking swat courses soon and then sniper school after that.
    So are you LE, Military, or a decided Civvy?

-snowy
    "Veritas Lux Mea"

Certified Super Civvie

Here is a pic of the kids, my .30-06 Savage 110 is the green thing in the middle. I opted for a choat stock and a factory savage heavy barrel. It is a "dang" fine gun, now I just have to learn to shoot it as good as the others!.
    "Better finish the clip, he's still twitching"

i am a law enforcement officer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads