Savage Stealth .338 Advice break in/ammo

This is a discussion on Savage Stealth .338 Advice break in/ammo within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hello everyone! I am waiting for my Savage Stealth .338 lapua rifle to be delivered. I have watched all of Tibisarauissssrex videos in YouTube. I ...

Hello everyone! I am waiting for my Savage Stealth .338 lapua rifle to be delivered.

I have watched all of Tibisarauissssrex videos in YouTube. I have got the cleaning process down!

My question is if the cleaning process is the same as the barrel breakin process?

Also I was told to NOT shot 250gr ammo through the Stealth. Is that correct?

Sorry if the questions are newb, but this is my first jump into the long range game.

Most of us are of the opinion that the breakin process is the same as the shooting process, and that you clean the gun at home afterwards.
    If you have a benchrest gun where the last 0.1" of ultimate accuracy is meaningful, then follow a breakin process. Otherwise just shoot the thing.

I can see no particular reason that 250gr ammo would not "function" just fine, however the twist rate is more appropriate for 300 gr projectiles.

So this is your first try at long range shooting and your already waiting on a 338 to arrive? Maybe you have a lengthy shooting history, if not then I can't imagine why 338 lapua would want to be your first long range rifle. Either way, on less than high quality barrels they are usually not lapped/honed to perfect finish so that is where you hear people talking about shooting a certain number of rounds and then cleaning over and over. The idea is that the bullet traveling down the barrel will finish it to how it needs to be. You clean it so much to keep an eye on how much copper and carbon fouling the barrel retaining. That's most of us just say shoot it and clean it when your done.

Ads