Which one should I go with?

This is a discussion on Which one should I go with? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I am new to long range rifle shooting. I want to build up my skills and shoot for fun. I may do some less formal ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Which one should I go with?

I am new to long range rifle shooting. I want to build up my skills and shoot for fun. I may do some less formal competition shooting someday, but maybe not. My main question at the moment is, of course, which rifle should I use. I have a Savage 116 7mm RUM, a Winchester model 70 270 WSM, and a Winchester model 70 243 WSSM. I don't have a ton of funds at the moment, so I feel like i would be at an advantage by using a rifle that I already own. Would one of those 3 be acceptable, or should I make the investment into a .308, 6.5mm or other popular long range caliber? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Every caliber you currently own can shoot long range with acceptable results. The bad thing is that your calibers are also what I call barrel burners. Meaning that after about 2,000-2,500 rounds your rifling will shot out to the point that it will lose accuracy quickly. As a new long range shooter I would suggest using a caliber that will not beat you to death at the range and make you develop bad habits. The only way to learn with this sport is to get out and shoot. If your shooting a couple thousand rounds a year, you will also need to rebarrel once a year driving the cost up significantly. If it were me and I was just starting out, I would select another caliber that wasn't so hot and I could get 6,000-7,000 rounds out of a barrel.

Unless you reload, those are all going to be expensive to shoot.
    Got a nice 22LR for practice? I'm serious.

I appreciate the input about barrel life. That's why I ask the experts. I never even thought about that. As for price of ammo, you're exactly right. I was leaning towards the 270 WSM because it's ammo is readily available. It's expensive, but the other two are expensive AND hard to find. I talked this over with my uncle who reloads, and he offered to help me get started reloading whenever I pick out which way I'm going to go. I do have an old .22 Marlin that my grand dad gave me before my first squirrel hunt 20 years ago. I should probably practice with it in a bench rest scenario. I've always shot it freehand.

Learn some basic fundamentals with the 22 and then that will give you time to save for the exact rifle/optic combo to best suit you. You won't be shooting 1000 yards with the 22 or anything but it will teach you breathing, trigger control, bullet drop and windage.

All three of the guns you currently have are hunting rifles, thin barrels, and hunting cartridges. Target ammo is different than hunting rounds, and hunting ammo is all you'll find off the shelf for those three.

Have you thought of selling one of the guns to fund a target rifle?

The guys are right with the 22lr, you can learn so much with one. But again you want it setup right. Full size stock, good trigger, decent scope. If your goal is to learn, use equipment that teaches good habits.

If you do want to get a starter rifle, consider building an AR. Buy one piece at a time if you have to. For a bolt gun, your looking at $1500ish for a basic setup to get going.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

If it were me, I would sell the Savage and the Model 70 and use those funds to buy a Ruger Precision version II in .308 Winchester, and then save for a Burris XTR scope and rings.

Quote Originally Posted by black5.3 View Post
    Meaning that after about 2,000-2,500 rounds your rifling will shot out to the point that it will lose accuracy quickly.
    Those cartridges will go far sooner than that.

Since you have a savage you can easily re-barrel it to a good longrange caliber that would be more barrel friendly.

Sell the savage and one of the m70s and build a bolt ar in 5.56. it is good to about 600yds and has a small enough recoil that it would be good for learning proper technique.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Ads