Wich rifle is the best for long range shooting

This is a discussion on Wich rifle is the best for long range shooting within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I would like to know wich rifle is the best for a long range shooting and maybe to do competition. What is the best twist, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Wich rifle is the best for long range shooting

I would like to know wich rifle is the best for a long range shooting and maybe to do competition.

What is the best twist, the best barrel lenght and kind of barrel and action. What kind of butt is the best.

So the best rifle we can have what will be the part of it.

Give your comments it will help me for sure.
    Good Sniper did one shot to kill.

You need to be more specific in your use. Bench rest, F Class, F T/R with a bipod, PRS, Across the Course Position shooting, hunting and what game animals at what range, paper targets for score, paper for groups, steel just to hear it go ding!
    Got a budget?
    Be serious and you will get a serious answer.

Over and over people ask what about this or that without really knowing what they want to do.

To be THE BEST at one thing requires specialized equipment that may make it not the best or even impossible to do other things.

You want to shoot tiny 5 shot one hole groups at 200-300 meters?
    Build a 200 pound rail gun with a 3" diameter barrel for $10k+ and have fun.
    You are not going to hunt deer with it unless you put out bait.

A Palma rifle is optimized for iron sights shooting 155 grain 308 bullets as fast as possible.

An F T/R can shoot any bullet the shooter chooses and use a bipod.
    Different barrel twists, length, stocks and optics verses aperture sights. Same 308 case though.

So what do you really want to do?

Get a nice 22LR in the $500-$1000 price range and shoot a case of quality ammo and when you can consistently shoot in the sub MOA range at 50 meters you will have an idea if you are really serious about shooting.
    Moving up from Rimfire to Centerfire as I am doing is about triple the investment for equivalent results in MOA.
    One MOA or less consistently is going to take around a $3k investment and range time. Marksmanship is a perishable skill.
    Rifle, scope and reloading equipment and range accessories will easily cost that or more.
    I am just starting to reload and am already over $750 in equipment purchased and will be spending at least $500 more. One primer tool is $600. Until I have a half MOA or better rifle, it will be a time saving tool. At the 1/4 MOA level it will show in better consistency of ignition and less vertical spread..

Are you going to be that serious?
    Some guys measure brass thickness to the thousandths of an inch and size it.

If you want THE BEST, you will too.
    Last edited by Hypo; 12-13-2016 at 08:52 PM.

Internet snipers know the best is .338 Lapua. It's worth more internet points than any other rifle.
    Cliffy likes this.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

A rail gun in a heated deer stand with a microwave and refrigerator and cable would work for some people. It would also need to be aimed by a joystick and laptop computer like the Bruce Willis movie The Jackal. That takes top Internet Cool points for the extra technology and comfort.

Banned
    While I agree with much of the 2nd post, you do not have to spend "at least" $3k to get into high power shooting. There is no answer to this question. Certain people are "the best", not the equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hoback View Post
    While I agree with much of the 2nd post, you do not have to spend "at least" $3k to get into high power shooting. There is no answer to this question. Certain people are "the best", not the equipment.
    Around here we are realist and like to tell people what to really expect spending when it comes to this sport. It may not be 3K all at once, but you get there real quick. If you have not shot rifles before then the following is what one can expect to need.

Heavy Barrel factory rifle $600
    Decent stock for it $300
    Rings and a base $150
    Scope $1000
    Bi-pod $100
    Case $50
    Ammo $300 (figuring that factory ammo is $1 per round, that's not much ammo)

That's $2500. Yes you can spend less or more on some of the items, but that's what it takes to get a decent rifle. Even if you spent $500 on a scope that's still 2k. If you end up really liking this sport your likely going to replace that scope and spend $1000 anyways. Then you start reloading...
    SatCong likes this.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    You need to be more specific in your use. Bench rest, F Class, F T/R with a bipod, PRS, Across the Course Position shooting, hunting and what game animals at what range, paper targets for score, paper for groups, steel just to hear it go ding!
    Got a budget?
    Be serious and you will get a serious answer.

Over and over people ask what about this or that without really knowing what they want to do.

To be THE BEST at one thing requires specialized equipment that may make it not the best or even impossible to do other things.

You want to shoot tiny 5 shot one hole groups at 200-300 meters?
    Build a 200 pound rail gun with a 3" diameter barrel for $10k+ and have fun.
    You are not going to hunt deer with it unless you put out bait.

A Palma rifle is optimized for iron sights shooting 155 grain 308 bullets as fast as possible.

An F T/R can shoot any bullet the shooter chooses and use a bipod.
    Different barrel twists, length, stocks and optics verses aperture sights. Same 308 case though.

So what do you really want to do?

Get a nice 22LR in the $500-$1000 price range and shoot a case of quality ammo and when you can consistently shoot in the sub MOA range at 50 meters you will have an idea if you are really serious about shooting.
    Moving up from Rimfire to Centerfire as I am doing is about triple the investment for equivalent results in MOA.
    One MOA or less consistently is going to take around a $3k investment and range time. Marksmanship is a perishable skill.
    Rifle, scope and reloading equipment and range accessories will easily cost that or more.
    I am just starting to reload and am already over $750 in equipment purchased and will be spending at least $500 more. One primer tool is $600. Until I have a half MOA or better rifle, it will be a time saving tool. At the 1/4 MOA level it will show in better consistency of ignition and less vertical spread..

Are you going to be that serious?
    Some guys measure brass thickness to the thousandths of an inch and size it.

If you want THE BEST, you will too.
    Ok sorry if I gave not enough information.

The only thing I will do is make hole on paper so target shooting. Wich game I don't know because I don't know yet the difference in F or FT. I would like to shoot at prone position with bipod if I can and as far as possible. I don't know the distance of game they shoot at different game. If I can shoot at 1km excellent if is more ok.

In the moment I bought a Remington 5R 308 Milspec on a Cadex chassis with a Vortex Viper pst 6-24x50 MDOT and atlas bipod. It's a barrel 24'' with a 1:11,2 twist.

My budget in the moment I spend more than $10 000.00 with reloading stock so I think around $ 8 to 9000.00 more. Some told me do make a custom rifle is better but I want to make a good rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
    Internet snipers know the best is .338 Lapua. It's worth more internet points than any other rifle.
    Can we use it on competition? Some told me the maximum was 308 so I don't know

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Sniper View Post
    In the moment I bought a Remington 5R 308 Milspec on a Cadex chassis with a Vortex Viper pst 6-24x50 MDOT and atlas bipod. It's a barrel 24'' with a 1:11,2 twist.

My budget in the moment I spend more than $10 000.00 with reloading stock so I think around $ 8 to 9000.00 more. Some told me do make a custom rifle is better but I want to make a good rifle.
    Wait second there.... Your budget is nearly a 10K and you are planning on factory rifle with PST on it? Are you mad???

With that kind of budget, you can build a top tier premium custom rifle with kick ass paint job on it.

Make your hard earned money accounted for.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
    If you end up really liking this sport your likely going to replace that scope and spend $1000 anyways. Then you start reloading...
    Sometimes you might replace it twice. I just replaced a $2k scope (actually will just move it to another rifle) with a scope that set me back a few dollars less than $4k including the rings.

As for reloading? A whole different way to spend your money. Great to make sure you have the most accurate ammo for the type of shooting. Also a way to make sure you have ammo when the shelves are bare. Just buy powder, primers, bullets, and brass, when available knowing full well there will be months, sometimes years, when there are shortages.

Shooting is a sport I started enjoying decades ago because I thought it would be less expensive than building Hot Rods. If only that were true today.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads