project savage - Page 6

project savage

This is a discussion on project savage within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Originally Posted by Skypilot I shoot a 375 H&H that is barely 8 lbs. The slip on recoil paid made a world of difference in ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: project savage

Quote Originally Posted by Skypilot View Post
    I shoot a 375 H&H that is barely 8 lbs. The slip on recoil paid made a world of difference in fit when wearing a tee shirt in the swamps of the South hunting hogs.
    I think it will work good, I just went with the slip on cause I am going to scrape yhe stock here shortly.
    I may just order a boyd stock first for a while before the chassis.

Cliffy

The new one piece 20 MOA base has arived.

20170111_191742.jpg

It fit perfect, also has recoil lug.
    Two thumbs up for weaver 20 MOA base for fit and price.

Cliffy
    NorCalFocus likes this.

Just retested rifle with the new mount and scope plus recoil pad and cheek riser. The result were the same as before. Rifle has much better feel now with recoil pad and cheek riser. New boyd stock is on the way will see if improves.

Cliffy

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

The new boyd stock has a a arived. Now it time for pillars and a bedding job. Then back to the range to see how it measures up.

Cliffy
    exsimguy1 likes this.

Oh, I will be putting in an order for a barrel so let get some input on length, twist and contour as well as chamber reamer.

Cliffy

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    The new boyd stock has a a arived. Now it time for pillars and a bedding job. Then back to the range to see how it measures up.

Cliffy
    Just sharing what I did once with a wood stock when I bedded it. The Barrel Channel was kind of ratty and had a lot of rough wood and gouges so I decided to beautify it a little.

I prepped the pillar and action area as usual but then applied a couple layers of Vinyl Pipe Tape to the bottom of the barrel from recoil lug forward. Made sure I had ample clearance between action and the pipe tape so there would be plenty of room for a layer of Devcon. The tape was applied lengthwise so there were no overlaps or seams. Just have to cover the lower half of the barrel so the wide pipe tape did the job.

I then bedded the whole assembly, action and taped off barrel.

When cured and the stock "parted" from the action I trimmed the excess epoxy with a wide, flat mill file (single cut) using a "draw cut". This finished the epoxy down flush with the top of the stock and it gave me a nice gray line along the action and barrel. It filled the nicks and gouges in the barrel channel and also made the barrel channel totally waterproof (over and above the sealer that had been applied to the wood).

Stock looked real nice even when removed from the action.

Like I said, just sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by deadshot2 View Post
    Just sharing what I did once with a wood stock when I bedded it. The Barrel Channel was kind of ratty and had a lot of rough wood and gouges so I decided to beautify it a little.

I prepped the pillar and action area as usual but then applied a couple layers of Vinyl Pipe Tape to the bottom of the barrel from recoil lug forward. Made sure I had ample clearance between action and the pipe tape so there would be plenty of room for a layer of Devcon. The tape was applied lengthwise so there were no overlaps or seams. Just have to cover the lower half of the barrel so the wide pipe tape did the job.

I then bedded the whole assembly, action and taped off barrel.

When cured and the stock "parted" from the action I trimmed the excess epoxy with a wide, flat mill file (single cut) using a "draw cut". This finished the epoxy down flush with the top of the stock and it gave me a nice gray line along the action and barrel. It filled the nicks and gouges in the barrel channel and also made the barrel channel totally waterproof (over and above the sealer that had been applied to the wood).

Stock looked real nice even when removed from the action.

Like I said, just sharing.

Thanks but probably wait till I know for sure what barrel I'll be using. Should be OK to test with just action bedded.

Cliffy

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Thanks but probably wait till I know for sure what barrel I'll be using. Should be OK to test with just action bedded.

Cliffy
    Definitely wouldn't be good to do what I did until the final barrel profile is established. For me it's easy. How big do they make them and still say they have a "profile". Need I say that I like heavy barrels?

I've got a Shilen Match 30-06 on a Savage. It is a #7 contour. Not sure about the chamber but it is very accurate. Very smooth bore. Hardly any fouling. I'll have to find my load notes and see what the OAL was for the Berger 168 Hybrids. Mine is a 111 and has a POS stock that I opened the barrel chanel up to fit the heavier barrel. It still shot great but it is 1 that is going to move on. On the bolt handle have to make sure it has enough primary extraction as it is controlled by that. Had to put the standard bolt handle back on mine. You got that rifle for a very good price but I don't care for Savages.

Quote Originally Posted by OLEJOE View Post
    I've got a Shilen Match 30-06 on a Savage. It is a #7 contour. Not sure about the chamber but it is very accurate. Very smooth bore. Hardly any fouling. I'll have to find my load notes and see what the OAL was for the Berger 168 Hybrids. Mine is a 111 and has a POS stock that I opened the barrel chanel up to fit the heavier barrel. It still shot great but it is 1 that is going to move on. On the bolt handle have to make sure it has enough primary extraction as it is controlled by that. Had to put the standard bolt handle back on mine. You got that rifle for a very good price but I don't care for Savages.

Never played with savage before now. Just wanted my own experience with them.

Cliffy
    exsimguy1 likes this.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Ads