Ar15 SPR HELP - Page 3

Ar15 SPR HELP

This is a discussion on Ar15 SPR HELP within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Originally Posted by glsawyer.drig How accurate is a standard a2 barrel? May just add a free float to what I have as a start A ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ar15 SPR HELP

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by glsawyer.drig View Post
    How accurate is a standard a2 barrel? May just add a free float to what I have as a start
    A "standard a2 barrel" would be defined as what came in an M16. Those are trash. By trash, I mean they can be expected to fall somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5 MOA, and that that was, and is, acceptable. Then again, they are inaccurate largely because of the relatively haphazard application of chrome lining, but that same chrome allows them to last over 10,000 rounds with only a modicum of care with regards to mag dumps.

In my mind, barrel choice should depend on what you intend to accomplish with the rifle.

A GOOD A2 barrel, such as Holliger can make out of a Krieger blank, will commonly break the 1/2 Minute barrier, and have been proven to hang pretty close to MOA at 600 yards.

In case you are not aware, that's a helluva statement I just made, and it's a helluva a statement about the rifle, shooter, and barrel when they do so. This ain't no bolt gun.

If I were building an SPR and wanted ultra-precision, I'd go with a White Oak, and strongly consider an upgrade from the standard Wilson blank to a Krieger, etc. In doing so, I know I'd get a 1/2 Minute gun, but I will only have one for about 4,000 rounds.

If I were building an SPR and wanted acceptable accuracy, but needed longer usable life, then I would go with a Criterion chrome-lined barrel. Criterion was (is?) a sister company to Krieger, and used/uses their bored blanks, but buttons the rifling. By all accounts, they are very accurate, but cost less. Without chrome lining, they also last about 1/2 as long as a Krieger...but if you can ADD chrome, and not lose MUCH accuracy...then you really have something:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...on+barrels+inc

You want the 15180H12, unless you really intend to hang tough at 600+ yards. If you did, you wouldn't be building an SPR.

-Nate
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge
    NRA Silhouette AA

I'm thinking 500yrd. Hit a 8x8 box at largest. Get a good scope. Good ammo.

Also my barrel is not lined.

Administrator
    With a good barrel and some Black Hills 77 grain loads, you should be able to do 8"x8" pretty easily.

Unlined barrels are usually a good thing with regards to accuracy, and there are only a very few exceptions of chrome that shoots okay.

-Nate
    President's Hundred
    NRA Silhouette AA

Ok. Good news then. I'll see how my barrel does first before I get a new one.

Just ordered my free float. Should be here next week. Thinking about nib bcg next.

Also bought parts for my ww2 1911a1.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by glsawyer.drig View Post
    Thinking about nib bcg next.
    Unless you are just interested in look-cool factor, or really need to be able to clean the BCG in a big hurry, don't waste your money.

Get a good MPI/HPT plain phosphate bolt carrier group. Bravo Company or similar is all you need.

-Nate
    President's Hundred
    NRA Silhouette AA

Uppers sold by Precision Reflex and High Caliber Sales, are they same uppers? If not, any differences?

What about stag arms barrels? 20inch bull barrel under 200

Administrator
    Dunno. Most other things made by CMT are pretty good, obviously including receivers, so one might expect that the barrel would be okay, but I don't know.

-Nate
    President's Hundred
    NRA Silhouette AA

I looked again. It's a a2 profile heavy barrel. 20inch. Phosphate coated. Chrome molly lined. $150.

http://www.stagarms.com/20-5-56-heavy-barrel/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Ads