Remington 700 - Long Range Hunting Variation - Input Please - Page 2

Remington 700 - Long Range Hunting Variation - Input Please

This is a discussion on Remington 700 - Long Range Hunting Variation - Input Please within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Originally Posted by lokiweapons Don't see the where the Rem Long Range rifle would be much less in weight... They don't post the weight, but ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Remington 700 - Long Range Hunting Variation - Input Please

Quote Originally Posted by lokiweapons View Post
    Don't see the where the Rem Long Range rifle would be much less in weight... They don't post the weight, but it has a 26" barrel in a heavy contour and from what I can find that is only a trade off of maybe a pound max (hard to find the actual numbers - why does remington do that??). The stock might trade off some weight, not sure... but I have heard mixed reviews of the B&C stocks.

On the tikka front - LOVE THEM. But the magnums in the t3 just aren't consistent. I had a 300 win mag (just sold it) - and yes it was an amazing weight to carry. That said every 3 or 4th bullet was a flinger in the magnum rounds. I think its the pencil barrel. Plus it only has a 23" barrel on it which is not getting the full powder burn out of magnum cartridges... Basically its down grading the magnum ballistics.

And what you are pointing out is what I am trying to optimize. I am willing to make the investment of making strategic tradeoffs to get a manageable backpack gun... Maybe I won't find it - maybe I will. I was hoping to get meaningful input from this forum that might help everyone - not sniping...

BTW, I am constantly amazed at the precedence is placed on the ethics of hunting game at long distances - when this is a SNIPER FORUM (read shooting people at long distances - ethics?). A little hypocritical in my opinion . And I also love the word ethics improperly substituted for "opinion". FYI... I use to feel it was unethical too - because that is the myth propagated by hunters who either can't shoot well or are too afraid to. After talking with wildlife biologists, officers, etc about the issue, though, my opinion changed. They convinced me that taking game at distance, if done responsible, can have less impact, reduce pressure on hunting areas, and a myriad of other positives. If done responsibly it is not an ethical issue but an opinion; if done irresponsibly it is an ethical issue (but that is the case of any irresponsible behavior). All of my kills to date have been 1 hit, drop dead kills; no wounded/lost animals. Actually the only lost animal I have ever had was a doe shot at < 50 yards. Have I had to pass on a lot of shots I would have probably taken at 200 yards - hell yes. But it has also been as rewarding to stalk small pods in wide open flats (or other variations) to a reasonable shooting point and take that long shot. Both short and long range taking of game are valid - and I would like to help educate hunters on that.

Its not ethics it is shooting with in your ability. Would like to keep away from make pot shots a game. One round one kill!!!

Cliffy
    Last edited by NorCalFocus; 01-06-2017 at 09:05 AM.

I use a Vero Vellini double sling(like a biathlon sling)when snow shoeing or cross country skiing into an area. Other wise I use an Eberlestock Gunrunner. Either will manage the weight better than me trying to hand "carry" a lighter rifle PLUS both hands are free to climb.

I am not staying overnight, just predator hunting so I don't need a lot of pack space mostly just a way to carry a 12-14 lb rifle, e caller, hand calls, binos, compass/map, food, IFAK and water.

There are really only 2 options, carry an ultralite gun and kit that may not suit the task, or get in shape to carry the gun/kit you need for the task.
    Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked. Psalms 82:3-4

I have no issue with shooting elk at 950 yards. With the right weapon and ability. It sounds like you have both. Also don't take it personal, but we have lots of new guys come on here expecting to shoot game at 1000+ and they've never shot past 200 yards.

BTW, I am constantly amazed at the precedence is placed on the ethics of hunting game at long distances - when this is a SNIPER FORUM (read shooting people at long distances - ethics?). A little hypocritical in my opinion.
    As far as this goes, yes this is Sniper Forums. But we DO NOT advocate, talk about, or even hypothesize about being snipers that have to take human life. We focus on marksmenship and long range shooting. Again your new you didn't know, so no harm no foul.
    davisj3537 and SatCong like this.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
    I have no issue with shooting elk at 950 yards. With the right weapon and ability. It sounds like you have both. Also don't take it personal, but we have lots of new guys come on here expecting to shoot game at 1000+ and they've never shot past 200 yards.
    Great post ^^^Sums up my thoughts well. loki, if you're a great marksman I'd love for you to stick around and look forward to reading any of your posts as I still have tons to learn.

FWIW, if I were backpacking 10-15 miles and needed dependable long range accuracy I'd build a custom (I did.) My dad was a hunter extraordinaire who did a lot of backpacking in Alaska, Wyoming, Colorado...etc and always said ounces equal pounds. Wise words from a man that lived it.

If you're wanting a rifle with a varmint contour it's gonna be over 10lbs. That's a bunch man. If you want a stock with an adjustable cheek rest stock it's gonna add a lb. The list goes on. There are ways around this, but none are cheap. Light+precision=$$$$$$. Take barrels for instance; you can get a varmint contour in a 26 inch barrel that weighs the same as a featherweight, but you'll have to go carbon fiber which is nearly 3 times the price.

Like I mentioned earlier I already built (paid for, not received) the rifle you're wanting. It's a 12k rifle with multiple barrels, multiple stocks and super nice glass. It can weigh in the high teens for range shooting or under 9 for hunting. With the ability to switch calibers in minutes it's probably the last long action rifle I'll ever buy and the only reason I spent so much money. Every precision rifle you buy costs several thousand dollars after the scope, stock, trigger...etc. Every rifle I want just costs me a barrel.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you don't want to compromise it's going to cost you an arm and a leg. If you don't have the $ then understand the compromises and don't expect to have a "do everything" rifle at a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by blwebster View Post
    Have you actually tried backpacking with that tactical rifle of the weight that you have chosen? Not the best idea in my opinion as they are far too heavy for that.
    The Rem Long Range rifle would be my choice.

My oldest son's Tikka T3 Lite in a Bell&Carlson Medalist stock shoots into 1/2 inch at two hundred yards, and I am pretty sure either of your rifles
    could be made to do the same with some work. But his will be 7.5 pounds or so with the scope - a much smarter option for the backpack hunter.
    I will not comment as to the ethics of 1000 plus yard shots on elk, but assume you will find the risks a challenge.

A friend of ours has one of the first few higher end Weatherby 300 magnums and with its scope and sling plus a loaded magazine it weighs in at
    13.5 pounds. He was a younger tough guy when he went stone sheep hunting back years ago, and at age 76 now, he still marvels at the fact he managed to use that rifle backpacking, saying he was young and dumb, Ha, ha, ha! .
    I have hump a Rem 700 P up and down a few mountains. It was around 13 lbs. Yes I was younger, but for me it was worth it.

Don't see the where the Rem Long Range rifle would be much less in weight... They don't post the weight, but it has a 26" barrel in a heavy contour and from what I can find that is only a trade off of maybe a pound max (hard to find the actual numbers - why does remington do that??). The stock might trade off some weight, not sure... but I have heard mixed reviews of the B&C stocks.
    So I decided to weigh my rifle for you since its real close to theses specs.

Rem SPS Varmint 26" Heavy Barrel
    B&C stock with kydex cheek riser and Magpul DBM
    Vortex HSLR 6-24x50
    Harris 6-9" Bi-pod

Just over 12 pounds. I've carried it (not in this config) before and it wasn't to bad. I haul more weight around my dunlap that this rifle lol. But I also carry it with a very good sling or tied to my backpack. I do have lighter guns I can carry for hunting. But this rig is setup for longer ranges so it just depends on what kind of shots I plan on taking.
    SatCong likes this.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

On the tikka front - LOVE THEM. But the magnums in the t3 just aren't consistent. I had a 300 win mag (just sold it) - and yes it was an amazing weight to carry. That said every 3 or 4th bullet was a flinger in the magnum rounds. I think its the pencil barrel. Plus it only has a 23" barrel on it which is not getting the full powder burn out of magnum cartridges... Basically its down grading the magnum ballistics.

And what you are pointing out is what I am trying to optimize. I am willing to make the investment of making strategic tradeoffs to get a manageable backpack gun... Maybe I won't find it - maybe I will. I was hoping to get meaningful input from this forum that might help everyone - not sniping...

BTW, I am constantly amazed at the precedence is placed on the ethics of hunting game at long distances - when this is a SNIPER FORUM (read shooting people at long distances - ethics?). A little hypocritical in my opinion . And I also love the word ethics improperly substituted for "opinion". FYI... I use to feel it was unethical too - because that is the myth propagated by hunters who either can't shoot well or are too afraid to. After talking with wildlife biologists, officers, etc about the issue, though, my opinion changed. They convinced me that taking game at distance, if done responsible, can have less impact, reduce pressure on hunting areas, and a myriad of other positives. If done responsibly it is not an ethical issue but an opinion; if done irresponsibly it is an ethical issue (but that is the case of any irresponsible behavior). All of my kills to date have been 1 hit, drop dead kills; no wounded/lost animals. Actually the only lost animal I have ever had was a doe shot at < 50 yards. Have I had to pass on a lot of shots I would have probably taken at 200 yards - hell yes. But it has also been as rewarding to stalk small pods in wide open flats (or other variations) to a reasonable shooting point and take that long shot. Both short and long range taking of game are valid - and I would like to help educate hunters on that.
    ---------------

Sounds to me that it was a problem for accuracy due to the flimsy T3 stock. I replaced a T3 stock with a Bell&Carlson Medalist stocks and those flyers disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    I have hump a Rem 700 P up and down a few mountains. It was around 13 lbs. Yes I was younger, but for me it was worth it.
    Yes, back when I was in my twenties I did some of the same with 10 pounds of rifle and a 50 pound pack on 12 day stone sheep hunts. Never seemed the rifle was too heavy when the shot came...but I have even more accurate light rifles now and am making sure my kids have the same.

Quote Originally Posted by blwebster View Post
    Yes, back when I was in my twenties I did some of the same with 10 pounds of rifle and a 50 pound pack on 12 day stone sheep hunts. Never seemed the rifle was too heavy when the shot came...but I have even more accurate light rifles now and am making sure my kids have the same.
    Ok, but I was in my 40's & 50's when I did it. I also hump my M1A the same way.

I lug my 700PLTR with big scope around too but prefer my ligher rifles as they shoot just as well as the heavier ones.
    But I agree just I am 73 now and do not like the weight as much as before.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ads